Galveston weather concerns

So the flooding that was on the streets near the port parking lots has subsided? The Port of Galveston had posted saying the lots are not flooded but the streets surrounding are flooded.

Here is live camera http://www.galveston.com/strandvideocam/ that will cycle through a few different views of the area across from the port, there has been times that the road adjacent to the port, harbor side drive, have had standing water over the road, it is slightly lower than the port area and the business area across from the port.

With more rain, that road will get covered with water again but will drain off relatively quickly.

Royal hasn't said they're kicking off the guests in Miami have they?

From what I've read, from people on the boat, it's a supply and restock stop and passengers who want to get off can, the rest can sail back to Galveston.

It'll be interesting to watch RCI's stock in the next little while. I think it's time to bring Adam back. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Bailey might have triggered this entire fiasco with Fleet wanting to be the hero.

But that's just speculation.

I was involved with the port blockade in Barcelona in 05 and Royal put us up in a resort and then flew us back right to my home town without cost, all expenses covered, gifts sent to us by mail and then topping it off with $500 GC each towards our next cruise. It was the main reason we are so loyal.

I actually really feel bad for the pr guys in the call centres and on social media. They are directed from the higher ups, ill bet after they respond they are screaming for their management to get their sh*t together.

Customer Service has been a disaster for awhile now. Everything has to be double-checked with them

since screwing up reservations is the norm. Cut-backs have continued for too long now. It's obvious well before this incident that $$$ comes first. Communication yesterday did not give timely updates, nor give anyone a buffer to decide if and when to come to port. Options needed to be laid out just in case, and they were not. I cannot even stomach the drinks they serve in the D-Lounge anymore. Next in line is a Princess cruise, then maybe a Carnival to try Guy's out and the Cantina.

It'll be interesting to watch RCI's stock in the next little while. I think it's time to bring Adam back. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Bailey might have triggered this entire fiasco with Fleet wanting to be the hero.

But that's just speculation.

I was involved with the port blockade in Barcelona in 05 and Royal put us up in a resort and then flew us back right to my home town without cost, all expenses covered, gifts sent to us by mail and then topping it off with $500 GC each towards our next cruise. It was the main reason we are so loyal.

I actually really feel bad for the pr guys in the call centres and on social media. They are directed from the higher ups, ill bet after they respond they are screaming for their management to get their sh*t together.

And management is screaming back that their call counts are too low and that they should stick to the script and let it all go away on it's own.

Here is live camera http://www.galveston.com/strandvideocam/ that will cycle through a few different views of the area across from the port, there has been times that the road adjacent to the port, harbor side drive, have had standing water over the road, it is slightly lower than the port area and the business area across from the port.

With more rain, that road will get covered with water again but will drain off relatively quickly.

That doesn't look bad, I think it was the Emerald cam that showed some flooding yesterday. That cam seems to be down at the moment.

I know the port had said that people could come get their families cars if they wanted to yesterday but had changed since the roads had flooding.

Carnival are taking the Breeze to NOLA for restocking (and to allow any who want the opportunity to get off the ship) tomorrow, then their three ships are planning to hang around until Galveston opens.

So they were much quicker to offer opportunities to cancel and passengers on all 3 ships will have had a chance to disembark, but they still have passengers at sea and in Texas in a state of uncertainty. Will be interesting to see how that plays out, compared to Royal's belated, but decisive, course of action (not scoring points, I am in risk management in a different field and always looking to learn lessons!)

This from the latest update on the port's Facebook page:

"All three ships will head towards Galveston to take advantage of the first opportunity to enter the port while remaining a safe distance from the storm. For voyages scheduled to depart between yesterday and today on those three ships, the intention is to operate shortened cruises with itineraries dependent upon when the ships can return to Galveston. Guests who sail on modified voyages will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the number of cruise days missed. Those who wish to cancel may do so without penalty and receive a future cruise credit."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival are taking the Breeze to NOLA for restocking (and to allow any who want the opportunity to get off the ship) tomorrow, then their three ships are planning to hang around until Galveston opens.

So they were much quicker to offer opportunities to cancel and passengers on all 3 ships will have had a chance to disembark, but they still have passengers at sea and in Texas in a state of uncertainty. Will be interesting to see how that plays out, compared to Royal's belated, but decisive, course of action (not scoring points, I am in risk management in a different field and always looking to learn lessons!)

"All three ships will head towards Galveston to take advantage of the first opportunity to enter the port while remaining a safe distance from the storm. For voyages scheduled to depart between yesterday and today on those three ships, the intention is to operate shortened cruises with itineraries dependent upon when the ships can return to Galveston. Guests who sail on modified voyages will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the number of cruise days missed. Those who wish to cancel may do so without penalty and receive a future cruise credit."

The logistics behind all of this are interesting to me

I wonder how far out the ships are hanging? Because there are big storms off the coast. And can 3 ships berth in Galveston at once? They can I believe

I think that the difference between both strategies is that Carnival immediately said 'no you don't have to come here if you're watching the weather and don't feel like it's safe, we're not going to hold your money hostage'. I'm assuming that anyone who decided within the last 24 hours that they're also going to give up and just cancel are also being allowed to do so without penalty. In contrast, RC said 'be here or lose your money'.

Even hours after they were pulling people off rooftops this morning, RC were still saying 'prove you can't get here or we're keeping your cash'.

I think that the difference between both strategies is that Carnival immediately said 'no you don't have to come here if you're watching the weather and don't feel like it's safe, we're not going to hold your money hostage'. I'm assuming that anyone who decided within the last 24 hours that they're also going to give up and just cancel are also being allowed to do so without penalty. In contrast, RC said 'be here or lose your money'.

Even hours after they were pulling people off rooftops this morning, RC were still saying 'prove you can't get here or we're keeping your cash'.

Thank you. Acting like there are only trivial differences between the way the two lines handled it is disingenuous.

As it happens, I see Carnival pax on social media saying that their money IS being held hostage (their cancellation option is for FCC not refund) and imploring Carnival to follow RCI's lead in cancelling this week's cruise and refunding.

But I am certainly not trivialising the incentive RCI's original decisions (and some pretty awful social media posts and other communication from reports) provided to people to make poor judgements about putting themselves in dangerous and difficult situations. They should have got that much, much better and taken the hit. But that doesn't necessarily mean that all their operational decisions have been terrible.

Royal CaribbeanVerified account @RoyalCaribbean 25m25 minutes agoMore

Replying to @Benclozano

Hey, Guys. This weeks Liberty sailing is cancelled and all guest are receiving a 100% refund. You'll be receiving an update shortly.

Royal CaribbeanVerified account @RoyalCaribbean 34m34 minutes agoMore

Replying to @Alex_Headrick

Hey, Alex. We can confirm that Liberty will be heading to Miami and the sailing today is cancelled.

Royal CaribbeanVerified account @RoyalCaribbean 56m56 minutes agoMore

Replying to @jacobosayegh

Everybody booked is receiving a refund, no need to submit a claim. An email will be sent shortly with more info.

Royal CaribbeanVerified account @RoyalCaribbean 1h1 hour agoMore

Replying to @BigAlOnTheProwl

That's correct. We're providing a full refund. In addition, we'll issue a 25% Future Cruise Certificate if you rebook within 30 days

Gee...that's great...and it totally contradicts the "end of the world no refund" posting claims by a few earlier today.

Rather amazingly, both the passenger and travel agent RCCL websites still have the old 3 PM Sunday sailing message. You would think at least they would update those :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RCCL's marketing & IT departments must share an office.