Tipping in speciality restaurants..

RMM34667

It's up to you. The staff in the specialty restaurants are part of the tipping pool just like the staff in the buffet or MDR which means that they are already receiving a tip. If you would like to tip extra be sure to leave the auto gratuities in place and then add it to the tag or leave cash. With the auto gratuities in place the staff can keep the tip. With the auto gratuities turned off they can't keep it.

At Planks on Caribbean there was a line specifically for adding a tip, similar to how they do it in the spa.

Which would be double tipping as the Planks waitstaff are part of the tipping pool and the spa adds an automatic 18% gratuity to the bill.

It's up to you. The staff in the specialty restaurants are part of the tipping pool just like the staff in the buffet or MDR which means that they are already receiving a tip. If you would like to tip extra be sure to leave the auto gratuities in place and then add it to the tag or leave cash. With the auto gratuities in place the staff can keep the tip. With the auto gratuities turned off they can't keep it.

If do do wish to tip in the specialty restaurants, there have been posts that if you give gash the waiter can keep all of it but if you add it to the check then it goes into the tipping pool so that your waiter will get a very small part of it.

Never. Pay the compulsory gratuities and at the end of the cruise if you want to give individual staff something special, then do so. Never tip at the end of a meal.

I haven't been on Princess for a few months so maybe I am out of touch with the latest developments but

What are these compulsory gratuities? I knew spa and drinks gratuities are compulsory but are the dining gratuities now compulsory as well?

I usually tip the waiter in the pay extra restaurants $5 cash per diner in my party

There is no suggested gratuity for dining in speciality restaurants and nothing is automatically added to the bill at the end. Staff who serve in speciality restaurants serve throughout the ship during the day so are part of the general tipping pool but if you feel the need, we never have, you can always tip in cash at end of meal which I am sure will not be refused.

On the May 11th Caribbean Princess sailing, I was never given a bill. The first night was a free suite meal, but the second meal obviously wasn't. I couldn't add to bill I never received. I don't know if this was specific to ship, a new method, or simply a mistake.

On prior dining experiences at the Crown Grille, service was so similar to MDR, we didn't bother to add anything to the final bill. However, on our recent Royal cruise, the 5 of us were very happy with the enhanced service, suggested menu options and follow up by our server. He explained the difference between the menu prawn appetizer and an option for the main dining room type of shrimp cocktail. Discussed the type of steaks and suggested the filet as the best option - less fat. We especially enjoyed his suggestion that we have an assortment of veggies served to the center of the table whereby we could try all of them. Since I'm not a fan of chocolate desserts, he asked if there was something else he could get me - creme brule - plus an extra to pass around the table. Best part was our server noticed we all had cameras - he offered to take a few table shots with each camera and said, "Less expensive than the ship." That alone merited an additional tip. So this time, we did add a nice gratuity. When he picked up the guest checks, he returned and thanked us for dining and obviously the added monies.

Darcy

I haven't been on Princess for a few months so maybe I am out of touch with the latest developments but

What are these compulsory gratuities? I knew spa and drinks gratuities are compulsory but are the dining gratuities now compulsory as well?

I usually tip the waiter in the pay extra restaurants $5 cash per diner in my party

No, specialty dining is covered by the daily charge. There is a line on the bill to add additional if you like. You can also provide extra cash tip. When we dined at Sabatini's on the Royal we never even received a bill to sign.

A couple years ago the menu had a line on it which specifically said that the tip was included in the price of specialty dining.

Now the menu specifically says that the price does not include the gratuity.

Does this mean we are now expected to add a tip?

Don

A couple years ago the menu had a line on it which specifically said that the tip was included in the price of specialty dining.

Now the menu specifically says that the price does not include the gratuity.

Does this mean we are now expected to add a tip?

Don

On our recent Sapphire Princess cruise we ate at the Sterling Steakhouse and was given a bill to sign at the end but there were no expectations or suggestions of a tip.

When you have free specialty restaurant (first night suite benefit) how do you tip? Cash? Or will you be presented with a bill to add the tip? Can't assume it's included.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

As you are in a suite, you are already paying more auto gratuity than a standard pax would. So extra tipping is not necessary. If you wish to tip over & above just either leave cash or add an amount to the tip line.

When you have free specialty restaurant (first night suite benefit) how do you tip? Cash? Or will you be presented with a bill to add the tip? Can't assume it's included.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

It is included because you've tipped for a dinner in your daily gratuity. I do not double tip even when the meal is a comp in the specialty restaurant.

There is nothing compulsory it's at your discretion. You can change the amount at guest services without an hassle.

On the May 11th Caribbean Princess sailing, I was never given a bill. The first night was a free suite meal, but the second meal obviously wasn't. I couldn't add to bill I never received. I don't know if this was specific to ship, a new method, or simply a mistake.

We were just on the Grand and experienced the same thing ... no bill given at the end of the meal.

We were also in a suite so the first night's meal didn't generate a bill and the second specialty dinner was through a promotion so never received a bill for that meal either.

So, for the OP, even if you don't get a bill, you can leave cash if you want. It is my understanding that is it not expected but appreciated.

We were just on the Grand and experienced the same thing ... no bill given at the end of the meal.

We were also in a suite so the first night's meal didn't generate a bill and the second specialty dinner was through a promotion so never received a bill for that meal either.

Did you have any issues with the first night because of a suite and the second night due to a promotion? We have the same situation on our next cruise. I'm guessing everything will be smooth, but would be good to hear.

We were on the Golden for the Transpacific crossing and received a bill with a line to add a tip at Sabatini’s. We were paying the cover fee of $29. We also had a free specialty dinner and received no bill for that one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums