meab

can you take food OFF the ship?

I saw a woman pulled off the line in Fll after a cruise over an apple..She was in tears, it was not going well.

And never bring anything off into Mexico..very strict. How ironic!

They do check in many ports..why be a law breaker?

Just follow the rules. As a diabetic I stick with sealed bars or dried fruit only!

A five year old thread? LOL

I had put an apple into our day bag in Roatan...didn't eat it, completely forgot about it...

Left the ship, next port (Cozumel), walked past the entrance kiosk...the dog asked to see my bag...which his handler agreed with...I looked into my bag and there was that apple.

Totally unintended, but that dog saved the day! :o:cool:

We always carry individual packaged peanut butter and trail mix. Never had an issue with taking them off the ship.

How it the heck do you find these 5 year old threads??? I’m sure there are a number of threads on sneaking food off the ship since then, and they all say the same thing:

- Most ports restrict food items.

- Some take pre-packaged sandwiches and such, mostly OK.

- Some think its cute to sneak it, or are trolls just saying they do. You’ll notice the troll who I qusteioned 5 years ago that this was one of their last posts.

- Most have ‘friends’ who take food and weren’t caught (they’d of course never do it themselves, but.....)

But 5 years ago? Why not just start a new one????

As to Alaska, no, ‘bugs’ survive just fine in hot and very cold weather. You realize Alaska has mosquitos the size of small birds in the summer?? I bet that’s a surprise. And Alaska has restrictions just as many other US and most foreign ports. Alaska does have nice food ashore, its not just salmon and bear meat......Spend a few bucks and help protect the place you are visiting.

By the way, I bet you knew the answer, you were just looking for someone to telll you their ‘friend’ had done it and not got caught...go ahead and give it a try and see what happens. In Chile, a woman on our cruise snuck food and they didn’t just take it away, they took her ‘away’ and she was only returned right before the ship left after paying a heavy fine.

I’m sure Alaska doesn’t really care if we introduce new insects and viruses and so on into their environment, just so we save a couple of bucks. If you are on a tour, they provide food; if you are on your own, there will be one or two....or 50 restaurants, snack bars, quick food places to use. But you knew that.

it’s late and I’m getting tired of such silliness.

Den

I've honestly never had a search dog sniff my food. My south side, however, well they do that. They are dogs, right? Seriously, it's best to buy food off the ship. You've already paid for all the meals, and more, than you could ever eat aboard ship. Don't put yourself in harm's way by trying to save a few shekels by taking food from the ship into the community you are visiting. Not to mention, there may be a starving child left aboard ship without a meal....

Friend just got off of Alaska cruise and packed a lunch every day from buffet. Never checked. No problems. I still wouldnt do it. Buy some packaged beef jerkey. Kills hunger fast.
I'm still wondering why you're responding to a thread from 2011! And, your relaying info from a friend? SMH

There are sniffer dogs in Cozumel for sure . Can't remember the other ports . I would never take a product that is restricted. In one south American port we had to sign a paper acknowledging that we will not take food into the country. There were two large dogs at the end of the gangway . we watched from above and were shocked at how many people got caught. Be respectful , not selfish . We take our fave sealed bars from home for ports .

I was just on the Millennium in Alaska and was not allowed to disembark the ship at a US port with a cup of coffee. I had to throw it away before I could disembark.

Ok, lets put this in proper perspective. Yes, there are rules and the rules say you are not supposed to take any food off the ship. However, on Caribbean cruises there is nobody that is going to check passengers embarking from a ship (they do use metal detectors and x-ray packages when you come back aboard). So if you want to take food off the ship, just pack it securely where it will not be noticed (such as in a backpack) and you will be fine. As to water, we can asure you they have plenty of water on all the islands and most of the time you will find bottles water ashore is cheaper then what they sell on the ship. Plus if you buy it ashore it will be cold.

Hank

Not quite. Have seen dogs checking for food in Western Caribbean Mexican ports including Costa Maya and Cozumel. Have also seen inspections in Barbados.

Ok, lets put this in proper perspective. Yes, there are rules and the rules say you are not supposed to take any food off the ship. However, on Caribbean cruises there is nobody that is going to check passengers embarking from a ship (they do use metal detectors and x-ray packages when you come back aboard). So if you want to take food off the ship, just pack it securely where it will not be noticed (such as in a backpack) and you will be fine. As to water, we can asure you they have plenty of water on all the islands and most of the time you will find bottles water ashore is cheaper then what they sell on the ship. Plus if you buy it ashore it will be cold.

Hank

How wonderfully ignorant and irresponsible. Another example for the world of the "ugly American" tourist

There might have been a typo here:

"So if you want to take food off the ship, just pack it securely where it will not be noticed (such as in a backpack) and you will be fine."

It should have read:

"So if you want to take food off the ship, just pack it securely where it will not be noticed (such as in a backpack) and you will be fined.":)

Wow. Horrible advice. Many Caribbean countries have LAWS (not rules) against bringing undeclared fresh foods into their country. In addition to risking harm to the country you are visiting, you are risking being fined and detained by local authorities.

Second that. Maybe that poster hasn't seen sniffer dogs in the Caribbean, but I have. Do not risk it.

I was wrong. This thread is 7 years old! It was started in 2011 and died a well deserved death right after Hlitner’s unbelievable post then restarted in 2013 wondering if Alaska being cold and all that, allowed food brought in. It died again (a zombie thread!) and was again restarted now with the same exact question about Alaska.

Why does someone start up a Zombie thread that asked the same question they are asking, which was answered over and over with ‘No’, ‘Not allowed’, ‘Done by my ‘friends’ but not me’ (yeah, right), and our favorite, ‘don’t do it but if you do, this how and not get caught’.

Ok, I think I’ve covered all the responses done on this subject in the last 7 years. Does anyone else have a ‘friend’ who did it but they would never do it, or think it shouldn’t be done but want to give sage advice on how not to get caught?

This isn’t sneaking booze on board. Go ahead, and save $10 and assist damaging an agricultural economy.

Den

Most recently, why would someone come over from the Princess board to open this zombie thread? That seems to me to be an action designed to “disrupt the community”

I was wrong. This thread is 7 years old! It was started in 2011 and died a well deserved death right after Hlitner’s unbelievable post then restarted in 2013 wondering if Alaska being cold and all that, allowed food brought in. It died again (a zombie thread!) and was again restarted now with the same exact question about Alaska.

Why does someone start up a Zombie thread that asked the same question they are asking, which was answered over and over with ‘No’, ‘Not allowed’, ‘Done by my ‘friends’ but not me’ (yeah, right), and our favorite, ‘don’t do it but if you do, this how and not get caught’.

Ok, I think I’ve covered all the responses done on this subject in the last 7 years. Does anyone else have a ‘friend’ who did it but they would never do it, or think it shouldn’t be done but want to give sage advice on how not to get caught?

This isn’t sneaking booze on board. Go ahead, and save $10 and assist damaging an agricultural economy.

Den

Whilst this thread may be some years old the message is as relevant today as it was then except the fines have probably gone up. To reiterate Australian and NZ rules. Both countries being islands are extremely bio security conscious and as such take the bringing of prohibited food items across the border very seriously. Any food items must be declared but as we don't fill in bio security forms each time we go ashore at these ports we are by default guilty of bringing undeclared food across the border. The Fines in both countries are now $400 which will buy an awful lot of lunch so don't do it. One may cross the border from ship to shore in many countries without seeing bio security officers but is it worth the risk on the off chance that a $400 fine is worth a $1 sandwich. Border protection officers can pull anyone aside at any time they choose. Don't be the mug on the day they choose to have a clamp down. If you are hungry buy something ashore and contribute to the local economy

Most recently, why would someone come over from the Princess board to open this zombie thread? That seems to me to be an action designed to “disrupt the community”

You are right WestLakeGirl, the poster who breathed life back into this Zombie thread has never posted on Celebrity in 1000posts and of course references ‘a friend’ who told them this info. People must be as crazy as us to be checking posters.

And Beadb41, you are right; this is an important subject that needs airing, but not this way. I’m always amazed how people will break the rules to save a few bucks and in this case, not just break rules, but Laws and endangering those we are visiting.

Wonder why locals just Love us tourists!! And If I hear another ‘my friend did this, but I wouldn’t.......’ post, I’ll explode. Well not that, but I’ll puff up a lot!!!

Den

We are on Silhouette right now out of Southampton round the Med . We have been to 5 of the 7 ports so far and we have gotten straight off and straight on to coaches so no screening getting off what so ever so think you could have taken food off. No announcement either

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on Silhouette right now out of Southampton round the Med . We have been to 5 of the 7 ports so far and we have gotten straight off and straight on to coaches so no screening getting off what so ever so think you could have taken food off. No announcement either

check your daily for the rules and laws in regards to this

Are all of these ports in the EU? If so that explains the lack of any border controls until the UK leaves the EU.