can you take food OFF the ship?

meab

Hi - I know this isn't okay when leaving other countries due to produce laws and possible introduction of certain species and diseases. I get it.

However, what about an Alaska specific cruise? Would it be okay to take food off the ship in that situation? We're going to have at least one time where we're going off on our own and I don't think we'll be near any food for the whole time (8-10 hours) we're gone. I'd love to be able to take a sandwich and apple and not have to just have a clif bar for the day.

I'm not familiar with Alaska laws surrounding produce - I would assume it'd be okay since most probably wouldn't survive in that climate?

It is illegal to bring fresh food into the US without declaring it to a customs official. Stick with the Cliff Bar. Otherwise you risk being detained and/or heftily fined as well as possibly causing damage to the local agriculture.

Edited by Gonzo70

Try bringing food into Singapore....you will meet some cute dogs and spend many months wondering how beautiful Singapore could be, if only you weren't locked in this small uninteresting room. The ship will not, of course, wait for you either.

just wondering - if we want to pack a picnic lunch to take ashore, is this ok? i know there are restrictions on what you can bring on, but wasn't sure if you're free to take food off the ship as well. we are traveling with small children, so we pretty much always need small snacks and water with us!

Pre-packaged snacks and water are o.k., all else is probably proscribed.

I am sure you can go into the Buffet. grab whaever you desire, and pack it in your tote, and where you find that lovely spot. Every one will be jealous that they did not do the same.

people may stare at you, why is that person takin all that food.

Why are they walking out the cafe....

but that is all tehy will see. B/c you are packing a lunch

Edited by fishycomics

I am sure you can go into the Buffet. grab whaever you desire, and pack it in your tote, and where you find that lovely spot. Every one will be jealous that they did not do the same.

people may stare at you, why is that person takin all that food.

Why are they walking out the cafe....

but that is all tehy will see. B/c you are packing a lunch

And I am sure you will visit them when they are detained! Maybe you will even pack up a lunch to take them?

The rules for taking food off the ship are there for a reason. We in England had a very bad episode of foot and mouth, maybe is was not connected to food brought in from abroad but why take the chance. A few prepackaged snacks should keep you going. Or buy something onshore!

Like said no one will know what you are doing?

I have no problem walking off the ship with food in my hand and not stopped. so on that long bus ride, if I wanted to fill my hole in th tummy b/c I felt like skipping breakfast....

oh we are on a cruiseship. not home Lol

Edited by fishycomics

Like said no one will know what you are doing?.... I wanted to fill my hole in th tummy b/c I felt like skipping breakfast....

oh we are on a cruiseship. not home Lol

Ok, lets put this in proper perspective. Yes, there are rules and the rules say you are not supposed to take any food off the ship. However, on Caribbean cruises there is nobody that is going to check passengers embarking from a ship....l

Hank

boy, I bet you two are really, really glad no one knows who you are after giving such Very Very Bad Advice.

And yeah, it isn't 'home' so it doesn't matter what bad impact you sneaking in food has on some country....it's all about filling that hole in your tummy or saving $10.

Always a good idea to hit 'Preview Post' and read what you are about to suggest, and in these cases, Delete.

Den

Den

boy, I bet you two are really, really glad no one knows who you are after giving such Very Very Bad Advice.

And yeah, it isn't 'home' so it doesn't matter what bad impact you sneaking in food has on some country....it's all about filling that hole in your tummy or saving $10.

Always a good idea to hit 'Preview Post' and read what you are about to suggest, and in these cases, Delete.

Den

Den

I would love to hear that those two tried it in New Zealand! :rolleyes:

I recall a young actress who brought an apple off her plane into NZ. She dind't declare it and it was discovered. There was much shouting, crying and claiming "Do-You-Kow-Who-I-Am?"

It did her no good. She still had to pay the fine.

• 5 years later...
Hi - I know this isn't okay when leaving other countries due to produce laws and possible introduction of certain species and diseases. I get it.

However, what about an Alaska specific cruise? Would it be okay to take food off the ship in that situation? We're going to have at least one time where we're going off on our own and I don't think we'll be near any food for the whole time (8-10 hours) we're gone. I'd love to be able to take a sandwich and apple and not have to just have a clif bar for the day.

I'm not familiar with Alaska laws surrounding produce - I would assume it'd be okay since most probably wouldn't survive in that climate?

Friend just got off of Alaska cruise and packed a lunch every day from buffet. Never checked. No problems. I still wouldnt do it. Buy some packaged beef jerkey. Kills hunger fast.

I saw a woman pulled off the line in Fll after a cruise over an apple..She was in tears, it was not going well.

And never bring anything off into Mexico..very strict. How ironic!

They do check in many ports..why be a law breaker?

Just follow the rules. As a diabetic I stick with sealed bars or dried fruit only!

A five year old thread? LOL

I had put an apple into our day bag in Roatan...didn't eat it, completely forgot about it...

Left the ship, next port (Cozumel), walked past the entrance kiosk...the dog asked to see my bag...which his handler agreed with...I looked into my bag and there was that apple.

Totally unintended, but that dog saved the day! :o:cool:

How it the heck do you find these 5 year old threads??? I’m sure there are a number of threads on sneaking food off the ship since then, and they all say the same thing:

- Most ports restrict food items.

- Some take pre-packaged sandwiches and such, mostly OK.

- Some think its cute to sneak it, or are trolls just saying they do. You’ll notice the troll who I qusteioned 5 years ago that this was one of their last posts.

- Most have ‘friends’ who take food and weren’t caught (they’d of course never do it themselves, but.....)

But 5 years ago? Why not just start a new one????

As to Alaska, no, ‘bugs’ survive just fine in hot and very cold weather. You realize Alaska has mosquitos the size of small birds in the summer?? I bet that’s a surprise. And Alaska has restrictions just as many other US and most foreign ports. Alaska does have nice food ashore, its not just salmon and bear meat......Spend a few bucks and help protect the place you are visiting.

By the way, I bet you knew the answer, you were just looking for someone to telll you their ‘friend’ had done it and not got caught...go ahead and give it a try and see what happens. In Chile, a woman on our cruise snuck food and they didn’t just take it away, they took her ‘away’ and she was only returned right before the ship left after paying a heavy fine.

I’m sure Alaska doesn’t really care if we introduce new insects and viruses and so on into their environment, just so we save a couple of bucks. If you are on a tour, they provide food; if you are on your own, there will be one or two....or 50 restaurants, snack bars, quick food places to use. But you knew that.

it’s late and I’m getting tired of such silliness.

Den

I've honestly never had a search dog sniff my food. My south side, however, well they do that. They are dogs, right? Seriously, it's best to buy food off the ship. You've already paid for all the meals, and more, than you could ever eat aboard ship. Don't put yourself in harm's way by trying to save a few shekels by taking food from the ship into the community you are visiting. Not to mention, there may be a starving child left aboard ship without a meal....

Friend just got off of Alaska cruise and packed a lunch every day from buffet. Never checked. No problems. I still wouldnt do it. Buy some packaged beef jerkey. Kills hunger fast.
I'm still wondering why you're responding to a thread from 2011! And, your relaying info from a friend? SMH

There are sniffer dogs in Cozumel for sure . Can't remember the other ports . I would never take a product that is restricted. In one south American port we had to sign a paper acknowledging that we will not take food into the country. There were two large dogs at the end of the gangway . we watched from above and were shocked at how many people got caught. Be respectful , not selfish . We take our fave sealed bars from home for ports .

Ok, lets put this in proper perspective. Yes, there are rules and the rules say you are not supposed to take any food off the ship. However, on Caribbean cruises there is nobody that is going to check passengers embarking from a ship (they do use metal detectors and x-ray packages when you come back aboard). So if you want to take food off the ship, just pack it securely where it will not be noticed (such as in a backpack) and you will be fine. As to water, we can asure you they have plenty of water on all the islands and most of the time you will find bottles water ashore is cheaper then what they sell on the ship. Plus if you buy it ashore it will be cold.

Hank

Not quite. Have seen dogs checking for food in Western Caribbean Mexican ports including Costa Maya and Cozumel. Have also seen inspections in Barbados.

Ok, lets put this in proper perspective. Yes, there are rules and the rules say you are not supposed to take any food off the ship. However, on Caribbean cruises there is nobody that is going to check passengers embarking from a ship (they do use metal detectors and x-ray packages when you come back aboard). So if you want to take food off the ship, just pack it securely where it will not be noticed (such as in a backpack) and you will be fine. As to water, we can asure you they have plenty of water on all the islands and most of the time you will find bottles water ashore is cheaper then what they sell on the ship. Plus if you buy it ashore it will be cold.

Hank

How wonderfully ignorant and irresponsible. Another example for the world of the "ugly American" tourist