Waiter and Chef parade in Blu on last Formal (or Semi-Formal) Night

helpthejuggler

On Equinox there was a chefs and waiters parade through Blu accompanied by music and clapping similar to what we have previously seen in MDRs. We have not had this in Blu on previous cruises.

This was on the final next to last night, normally Formal but Semi-Formal on this cruise.

Incidentally, Blu follows its own smart/casual dress code, but most diners went with the regular Formal/Semi-Formal dress styles.

Is this happening across the fleet or just a little bit of extra Equinox fun?

On Equinox there was a chefs and waiters parade through Blu accompanied by music and clapping similar to what we have previously seen in MDRs. We have not had this in Blu on previous cruises.

This was on the final next to last night, normally Formal but Semi-Formal on this cruise.

Incidentally, Blu follows its own smart/casual dress code, but most diners went with the regular Formal/Semi-Formal dress styles.

Is this happening across the fleet or just a little bit of extra Equinox fun?

This should be an interesting thread as a lot of people really hate the parade. I don't but some really can't stand it.

Please, please, no parade!!!!! If I wanted "entertainment" at dinner I'd be sailing Carnival. I just want excellent food delivered by professional staff . . . which is exactly what we've been experiencing in Blu. We are now officially spoiled and will always pay extra (as long as it's a little extra) for Aqua Class.

Please, please, no parade!!!!! If I wanted "entertainment" at dinner I'd be sailing Carnival. I just want excellent food delivered by professional staff . . . which is exactly what we've been experiencing in Blu. We are now officially spoiled and will always pay extra (as long as it's a little extra) for Aqua Class.

+1 I consider the waiter parade only a very small step above a hairy chest contest at the pool.

+1 I consider the waiter parade only a very small step above a hairy chest contest at the pool.

Ditto, ditto, ditto! Now how do we get rid of it in the main dining room?! Last time on the Eclipse they started it just as we received our entrees. Very disruptive of a nice meal. The whole thing seems so tacky. An old tradition that has seen it's time pass. And I am for old traditional style cruising but this has got to go!

As has (in the MDR) serving Baked Alaska as the default dessert. At least they do not wave the thing all around the dining room and ok have it as a choice that night, but please stop the waiters automatically serving is as the default desert even on the Captains Table

Oh No-- please leave our BLU sanctuary the way it is..No parade!!!! We do not mind the birthday /anniv singing but the parade disrupts dinner b/c everyone has to be in it!,,,

Most of the staff does not like it either but they have to do as instructed,

We sail again on Equinox Nov 14th so hope by then the BLU parade is gone!!!

Oh My! Now they have extended "tacky" to Blu? We will soon be back on an X ship and dining in Blu. If they decide to do that silly waiter thing perhaps we will wear all of our tacky cruise ship décor which could include all our cruise line lapel pins (we have plenty hidden somewhere in a drawer, HA Medallion, RCCL "Dive In" T shirt, etc, etc. If they want tacky...we will give them tacky! :)

Come to think of it, we do miss the days when waiters (on RCCL) would march around the dining room with flaming Baked Alaska on top of their heads. Fire regulations now preclude this practice, but maybe the waiters could carry bowls of fruit on their heads :)

Hank

We were on Equinox in April, TransAtlantic, Aqua Class, and no parade in Blu - sadly for me, because I do think it's good fun! I enjoy waving my white napkin in the air ala a sports game! We've sailed Aqua I think 4 times now, on 3 ships, never a waiter parade. In fact, on Summit, where Blu was never a part of the original design of the ship when it was built, so it was eked out of a side of the MDR, you could hear the singing and merry-making next door through the servers passage/pantry, and I felt a bit left out! And about the so called Baked Alaska, urgh, not the real thing AT ALL on board, so I always pass. Give me the waiter's parade but hold the Baked Alaska! :rolleyes:

To make matters <Better / Worse>* the music was Gangnam Style.

Only one of the waiters did a passable attempt at dancing.

I almost resorted to an "Attention to Detail' hoping for a free bottle of wine. :D

* Delete as appropriate

Fortunately we have not experienced a parade in Blu & I hope we never do.

So while they parade; food cools, guests wait to be seated, wine/coffee not re filled and a already busy staff has to stop doing their job to do something they dislike having to do-:confused:

Been in Blu for at least 15 cruises and have never seen, nor hope to see, a parade. Sometimes the Executive Chef has walked from table to table with the Maître 'd, but that's as far as it goes. Blu is a much smaller venue and people get to know the staff. Open dining concept could cause a problem with a parade. Usually good to try something new, but let's not spread this idea.

I was kinda OK with it in the main dining room when there was no Blu or select dining.

We usually are select dining and it doesnt fit with that concept as often we are just arriving or ordering dinner when it breaks out.

Maybe it needs to be rethought - as part of brunch perhaps!

We dont go to brunch and usually try to eat in the speciality dining on parade night!

Angie

I've never seen this in Blu and I don't see how it would work since it's open seating. Let's hope the practice doesn't spread.

I agree, but upstairs in the Main Dining room is open seating and that has not stopped them doing it there

The staff in the MDR is already overworked and all the parade night does is muck up an already strained system.

Do away with it. Where's the Celebrity Cruises person? Hope they're reading this thread.

Funny, I don't care on way or the other about the parade in the MDR, but wouldn't miss it at all if it went away. It's that dreadful napkin twirling :eek: that is absolutely vile! Appropriate for a sporting event if you must, I suppose, but what's the relationship with a nice dinner? :rolleyes:

I'm tempted to pre-load my napkin with peas, and then release at the appropriate moment...oh, wait, I'm not twelve, and this isn't a junior high cafeteria. :D

So in summation, keep yer darned napkin' twirlin' and gang man dancin' parade outta' Blu!:cool:

Andrew (;) )

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I think I will rain on the parade. It is tacky, disruptive and only increases the workload for the staff who have enough to do. I do not think it has a place on a 'modern luxury' ship. Unfortunately Cunard also does this.

Archived