20+ Cruises and Now My 1st Inside!

helen haywood

This is a great thread. I've always wondered about getting an inside and why some people prefer them.

Since no one posted my situation I guess I will. First off, spending all day in the sun by the pool is not something I need to do. As a black male I don't need to tan, as I am already a beautiful brown color. :D So being able to spend moments sitting on my balcony on sea days works out great for me. I get the fresh sea air, hear the water, and no direct sun.

The other thing is that I am a bit introverted. I get my energy by having my alone time. So when I go back to my cabin to relax I still want the balcony to enjoy and to remember that I am in a new place enjoying vacation. Extroverts, I'm using the Meyers-Jung definition, get energy from being around lots of people, and thus would only use their cabin to sleep when they are not partying with the crowd.

Even with all that I might try an inside cabin some day. Thanks to the tips here it would work out to some degree.

Just off the Eclipse and I hate to tell you that the ship cam channel did not take up the full screen like it used to. The "view" was in a smaller box and there was a stupid scroll along on the bottom, like on a news channel. So if you leave it on all night now, it's bright like any other channel. :mad:

Having said that, I still woke up at my usual early time. This was my biggest worry with an inside cabin, that I'd lose all sense of time and sleep the morning away. For me the only thing I missed was not being able to see/feel the weather for myself in the morning, and not being able to see if there was going to be a decent sunset. I can live without those things.

I kind of wonder why don't pax set up a "wake up" call in the AM. That's what we always do.

I'm not worried about feeling claustrophic. If I don't feel that way in Celebrity's showers then I'll be fine. I'm sure I will miss a lot about having a balcony.....but the cheapest balcony is currently almost a thousand more than the inside. Considering most of the last TA we took we spent our time in the Sky Lounge or the Sunset Bar or the forward decks on 15 and 16 or elsewhere....I think I'll manage just fine. I don't want to lie out in the sun by the pool either, as one poster mentioned...but I've never had problems finding deck chairs in the shade.

I'll definitely come back and tell how it went. I wish I could talk myself into insides all the time as I certainly could cruise more often....even if I decide I didn't care for it, in this case, I really, really, really wanted to go on this cruise and an inside will make my dream come true.

I'm not worried about feeling claustrophic. If I don't feel that way in Celebrity's showers then I'll be fine. I'm sure I will miss a lot about having a balcony.....but the cheapest balcony is currently almost a thousand more than the inside. Considering most of the last TA we took we spent our time in the Sky Lounge or the Sunset Bar or the forward decks on 15 and 16 or elsewhere....I think I'll manage just fine. I don't want to lie out in the sun by the pool either, as one poster mentioned...but I've never had problems finding deck chairs in the shade.

I'll definitely come back and tell how it went. I wish I could talk myself into insides all the time as I certainly could cruise more often....even if I decide I didn't care for it, in this case, I really, really, really wanted to go on this cruise and an inside will make my dream come true.

Hi Helen:) your last sentence says it all (to me anyway).....

Having the inside cabin is making your dream come true:D........

Not much more you could ask for!........my words to you,

"SWEET"...."AWESOME" AND I hope the reality and the dream

are fantastic for you:)

Edited by Lois R

Leave in morning for a Constellation 5 day inside. First ever. Not sure about this. I am claustrophobic in very small spaces, but wouldn't think a room would cause a problem. Couldn't pass up the price. We are balcony people, so we'll see how this goes!

We had a deck 9 inside cabin, on a 2 day repositioning cruise from Amsterdam to Southampton, on Constellation.

I was sceptical, although we had had insides when we first started cruising.

I actually thought we had more wardrobe space ( M class) than we had had on Eclipse ( S class)

It was never completely dark, as the corridor light was on all night.:p

I've done one inside cabin and it it was fine for me.

Last cruise I had an aft balcony on HAL and I will admit it was amazing, however with the prices as they are, I'd rather have 2 cruises on inside cabins than 1 cruise with a balcony.

With the aft balcony (in Europe with amazing sights), we tended to lounge in bed in the morning, gazing at the beautiful views. Sailing into Valletta, Malta was an experience I will never forget from my bed cuddling with DH.

However.... I also did an Europe cruise with an inside and left the TV on the bow cam. It was like having a window from the top of the ship. I was also less likely to lounge in the morning. I was up, showered and dressed having breakfast on deck as I viewed the amazing sights. This was nice because I was up and out more often spending more time on the decks meeting some fascinating people.

I think they are different experiences, not good or bad - but the value of being able to take 2 inside cruises a year vs 1 balcony cruise for about the same price is the decision point for me.

We've done both ocean view and inside. Never a balcony. We like insides as well as ocean view. All about cost for us as we always book longer Cruises and Cruise every year. Alawys schedule a wake up call early. So we always have to turn on a light regardless if we are in an ocean view or inside. We are hardly ever in our room regardless if we are in an ocean view or inside. Way too much going on around the ship or ports. When we are booked in an inside I always see the sun coming up. I'm a walker so I'm out walking the track early and get to see the sun raise. Very few Cruisers up and about. Perfect. In the evening we take a stroll outside before going to bed so we see the stars. At home we are up when it's dark and go to bed when it's dark. No difference for us. To each their own.

I am on the Reflection right now in an inside cabin. Were in a Celebrity suite last week. It all comes down to price. We were able to get the Celebrity suite with free 3rd & 4th. Cost the same as two interconnecting Concierge cabins (what we have done for the last 6 years). The inside prices drop significantly a few weeks before the sailing. Some as low as $50 per night per person. If I can sail 2X or 3X for the same $$$, why not. If you can only travel once per year the higher level cabin makes more sense.

On the Solstice class the bathroom light never goes completely out and there is a fair amount of light coming under the door into the cabin. In a balcony I have to wear a mask when the sun comes up - in an inside I don't.

I do miss not having the balcony and would never travel exclusively in an inside cabin. But a few now and then to increase my time at sea is GREAT:)

Greetings

We had an inside last year on Equinox. We were not disappointed. Cabin was as roomy as our previous CC cabin. In fact, since there were no doors to the balcony it actually gave us more room to put things. The sleeping part was the best. I awake at the slightest hint of sunlight (an aspect that irks my SO since she thinks we are on vacation). I could actually sleep until breakfast and not be up and about before 6 AM. And the price was unbeatable.

In just 3 weeks we are back on Celebrity in a CC cabin not because we didn't like the inside but because we got a really good deal on the CC cabin. We would not hesitate to book an inside again in the future.

Good Sailing

Tom

We've done both and I prefer the balcony. We were fine with an inside on a cruise to Bermuda, but we hit some rough seas and I got extremely queasy. The issue was not being able to see the horizon. Once I could stagger out of the cabin and upstairs to fresh air and the horizon, I improved quickly. For that reason I'd always prefer a balcony. But between balcony/can't go and inside/can go, I'd choose the inside and take my chances with the waves.

Three tips from an insider; split the beds for more room and easy access; order tea/ coffee from room service on the breakfast card for your morning call; roll a bath towel to block the light under the door if it disturbs you. Enjoy the cruise!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

One of my favorite rooms of all times was on the Infinity -- midship inside -- and that was after being in a balcony room many times prior to that. Another room that really stands out was an oceanview aft on the Mercury and the best was a concierge hump balcony on the Equinox. We book rooms depending on the price and how special the occasion is. We go back and forth between inside, OV, balconies and mini-suites. There is absolutely nothing wrong with inside cabins....especially if the price is right ...which it usually is. Your cruise is what you make of it ...and not necessarily your cabin type. I do tend to be one of those that sleeps better in an inside cabin....so that is a big plus. You can usually go on many more cruises if you book inside cabins so that is the biggest plus. :D

I agree with most of the comments. We did 30 cruises before trying an inside. We were fine with it, and DH may actually prefer the inside. He said it was the best sleep he had in decades. While I prefer balconies, I will take an inside over not cruising anytime. Enjoy your cruise.

I keep hearing that "best sleep I ever had" comment. I'll have to make SURE I bring an alarm clock so I don't sleep away my cruise! I think, actually, having an inside will force us to be a bit more social and outgoing instead of holing up in our cabin. I must say on some TAs my husband has been happily playing cards in an interior card room and I thought to myself...why did I buy a balcony cabin?

Also, instead of letting the light wake us up....our past cruise we got up earlier than we normally would to have breakfast in the MDR. Previously we'd been sloths and went to the Oceanview as we liked to sleep late. But the slight negative of getting up earlier was totally offset by the luxurious quiet elegance of being served breakfast at a table with a tablecloth and no food spilled on the carpet.

So we'll just have to set the alarm in our dark cave and go dine at the MDR in the mornings....and be out on deck with a drink in the daytime (although perhaps back to the Bat Cave for a nap) and then go to a show and stay up dancing at night....

I'm starting to really worry about this cruise....

I have done two TA's and the only time I used the balcony was when we got to Europe which is at the very end of the journey. I had an inside on my most recent cruise and it is fine for resting and chilling out during the day if you want to. The only trouble I had was waking up and wondering what time it was- is it morning? I hear people in the hall- is it 6 Am or 9 am??? So I wished I had brought a little travel alarm- so I could look at it and say- oh go back to sleep it's 6 am.

On the QM2 we never used the balcony at all because it was to cold and windy. We had a fabulous time on that ship and were never in the cabin except to change and sleep.

We're new cruisers, and haven't booked an inside cabin yet (other than a promenade stateroom on the Navigator, or inside window). Compared to other lines, our Balcony on Carnival was cheap, but we barely used it.

I am personally going to go for bang per buck, depending on which line, how much time we'll spend in our cabins, how scenic (Alaska we'll pay more), and our budget. Personally I would be disappointed missing an upgrade for $50 pp, but also disappointed looking at Caribbean Ocean for $500 pp.

[quote name='Stateroom_Sailor']We're new cruisers, and haven't booked an inside cabin yet (other than a promenade stateroom on the Navigator, or inside window). Compared to other lines, our Balcony on Carnival was cheap, but we barely used it.

I am personally going to go for bang per buck, depending on which line, how much time we'll spend in our cabins, how scenic (Alaska we'll pay more), and our budget. Personally I would be disappointed missing an upgrade for $50 pp, but also disappointed looking at Caribbean Ocean for $500 pp.[/QUOTE]

My friends always say that anyone that says that doesn't have the money to do it .I disagree I'VE had everything from 399 to 7999 per person. Sometimes that 399 feels real GOOD!!!

Edit attempt lol
In retrospect after having the time to read this entire thread I thought that I would put something more valuable to readers .

Get a port hole window at the bottom end. The price often mirrors an inside. In addition in 17 cruises I have woke up in the middle of the night claustrophobic in an inside cabin and needed to go to the deck.

I take my 90 year old father a lot and get an obstructed view port hole on the 8th Dec in a handicap room these rooms are gigantic ( double square footage ) and it's the same price as inside cabin basically. $499 ON this voyage.

I have stayed in very expensive suites and of course they're totally awesome and worth the change if you have it

Bottom line is I would get at least a porthole window travelers - shop smart shop s-mart Edited by BeachBum777

Since we only get to cruise 1x per year if we're lucky (usually every other year) I book us a balcony cabin. We did book an ov cabin 1x, (it wasn't bad) but I usually book a balcony cabin. I don't think I'm claustrophic, although I may be. But I love to wake up and order coffee & drink it on the balcony as we're coming into port. Also, I find I don't like to bother going up to the pool unless we're in "need" of the hot tub :D. Reading my book on our balcony is fine w/me. But in the end this is what works for me/us, an inside cabin works for many people, just not me.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!:D

Beach Bum, I did look into oceanview (what Celebrity has as equivalent to port hole cabins) and the price would be $600 more than my inside. I just don't think its worth it to me; I understand it would be for others. A balcony GTY is $800 more and I will never again do a balcony GTY because twice I wound up under the buffet and the noise kept me from sleeping. I'd rather forego all sunshine and risk claustrophobia than be under the buffet. The cheapest balcony after the GTY would be $1100 more than my inside.

I love Celebrity's S-class ships and I love this itinerary and if the only way I get to sail is in an inside cabin that's all right with me.

Perhaps I would be happy to pay the going rates for a balcony cabin if I had not sailed on last year's Silhouette east bound TA in a balcony cabin for far less than my inside is costing on this cruise!

BTW, I, of course, [I]have[/I] the money to book a balcony, heck, I [I]have[/I] the money to book a suite. I'd just rather use my money for something else on this cruise. Edited by helen haywood

I've done balcony's, outside view and inside. My motto is get me on the ship and I'll be happy :)

Each type of cabin has their own merits but the money you will save by doing an inside can't be beat.

A couple things to think about.
1) Bring a clock! The inside cabins are so dark and peaceful that you can lose track of time and sleep much later than you think you will.
2) Leave the bathroom light on (but close the door). The small amount of light coming from under the door will be helpful if you need to get up at night.
3) Consider leaving the TV on to the bow cam channel. That way you'll know when the sun has come up.

Enjoy your cruise and don't spend a minute wishing you had a balcony!

In 22 Cruises have had inside 21 of them and not unhappy. Leave a wakeup call. We enjoy being with everyone instead of sitting on a balcony alone. I have a terrace at home and never sit out there. There is something for everyone, ENjoy!!!