Scrambled Eggs

Houndfish

What do most cruise lines serve on buffets? Fresh eggs, powdered or some other concoction?

Powdered or liquid. There are some cruise lines/specific ships which have an omelette station in the buffet where you can ask for fresh scrambled eggs. Have you decided on a ship as yet?

I like my scambled eggs fully cooked and always request fresh eggs, fully cooked with no runny. That is how I get them. If I want an omelet, it's the same thing. Whatever kind of omelet, I always order it well done and that is how I get it. :) Just ask.

I have seen them pouring eggs out of a 1/2 gallon container on the griddle where they then scramble them. If I want a fresh egg I go to the buffet and ask for a fried egg and watch as two whole raw eggs are put in the pan. The omelets also come from a carton. Except on Princess where I got already fried eggs on a warming try. But, I'm not an egg eater most of the time.

What do most cruise lines serve on buffets? Fresh eggs, powdered or some other concoction?

the troughs are powdered or other mass produced egg like substance.

if there is an omelet station they will usually make them fresh ( as well as fried to order and of course, omelets)

All of the above. If you want an actual egg, ask for soft/hard boiled, poached or over easy eggs. Stay away from scrambled and omelettes, no telling what those are made from.

on the omelet stations on Royal they are bowls of freshly cracked eggs and the chef ladles out the number of yolks you request.

Agree with Krazy. We avoid scrambled eggs (on ships) unless we can actually see them crack some real eggs. We stick with over ez or eggs benedict since they have to use real eggs. We also enjoy the omelet stations, but must usually accept that they are using liquid eggs.

Hank

You can be assured that the processed liquid egg product is pasteurized and salmonella safe . . . can the same be said for eggs in the shell or precracked eggs in a bowl?

Actually there are pasteurized shelled eggs, and some lines use them, but they are expensive. Here's a hint. Look at a breakfast menu, if it has the warning about eating undercooked egg products, then they are not using pasteurized shelled eggs.

I'm not believing that any of them use powdered eggs. The bulk-bagged eggs are the likely item.

That said, large masses of scrambled eggs will tend to seep some liquid as they percolate in a bin.

I've never seen them use powdered eggs. The vast majority of eggs are "pasteurized egg product", which are eggs that are taken from the shells, pasteurized, filtered, and a homogenizing agent is added to keep the yolks and whites from separating. This is what is used for all uncooked or undercooked egg recipes like Hollandaise sauce, Ceasar salad dressing, and the like.

Don't know any line that serves powdered. What they serve are whole eggs, that have been shelled, whipped, pasteurized and placed in cartons like milk.

The problem with them is that they make them in such huge quantities that they are flavorless.

Don't do breakfast at the buffet...go to the dining room...you can get whatever you want.

Really? So you order eggs in the MDR and you get powdered/liquid eggs? At least in the Lido you can see what they are using. In the MDR it all happens behind closed doors. Or take something like pancakes. In the MDR they come from the hidden galley where they have likely been sitting on a steam table for many minutes. In the Lido they usually make lots of pancakes and store them in a pan on a steam table. But in the Lido we will often ask the cook to give us fresh pancakes right off the grill (they never say no)/ In the MDR you have no control (and no ability to watch) so you have no idea how long those pancakes have been sitting on a steam table.....not to mention how long it takes your waiter to pick up all his food, get to his station, and finally bring you the plate/item.

And it is even worse with something simple like a piece of toast. In the MDR they come off the large toasters and fall into the pan where they sit until finally picked-up (usually several minutes). The waiter puts a bunch of toast into a bread basket and it takes him/her several minutes to get to his station where he starts going around giving folks toast....which is often at least 10 minutes old! But in the Lido you can go to the bread station (where they also pile-up toast in a pan) and simply ask for some fresh toast right off the large toaster. And if it is under cooked you can simply ask them to put it through the toaster a 2nd time (we often do this with bagels and English Muffins). So not sure why the MDR is a better option for breakfast...other then the ability to sit at a table and have a waiter.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Don't do breakfast at the buffet...go to the dining room...you can get whatever you want.

This is the best way to avoid the problem.

I'm curious as to both of your reasoning that requesting scrambled eggs in a MDR for breakfast means they use whole eggs as ingredients?

Unless you watch them make the scrambled eggs or omelet who knows if they use bagged eggs or fresh whole eggs, unless you watch the cook make it, who knows?

Maybe its a perception thing of what goes on behind the crew only doors just for your order made just for you?

Unless you know they ABSOLUTELY 100% without a shadow of a doubt and here is photographic evidence, how do you really know?

ex techie

Unlike Alice's place, you can't get everything you want - only what's on the menu. And much of it has been sitting on warming tables. At least on NCL and RCCL, the buffet omelets are superior to the MDR versions - more options and fresher.

Edited by CPT Trips

Thanks for your replies.

I've mostly been on Carnival and RCL in the past 8 yrs.

They might be the bulk homogenized as described in the replies.

My wife usually hits the omelet station. Last cruise she ordered scrambled and got a fried egg sliced up. The cook didn't know how to do scrambled.

Taking a Princess cruise this Nov., I'll see what they come up with.

My comments about general dining between Carnival and RCL are that RCL does breakfast and lunch buffet better than Carnival but Carnival is better on MDR dinner

The best scrambled eggs I have ever had (at least on Royal Caribbean) are those from the omelet station where you can request them scrambled soft, hard or however you like them. The scrambled from the steam tray in the buffet and those I have gotten in the MDR are pretty much the same. Please make your own decision as to what works for you, and ignore posts from those who would have you believe that the MDR breakfast is just wonderful in every way, and breakfast in the buffet has no redeeming qualities, whatsoever. :rolleyes: