Wallet stolen

Drews_Cruise

I remember that episode. Thanks for the laugh. But unfortunately I had it with our room keys to scan in at the muster drill and 10 minutes later everything was gone. We check the cushions moved the chairs and looked everywhere. We've been to the front desk daily to check but nothing. No one from security has even called us. They just say they will call us if something is found.

Sorry to hear that it has not been found. Cancelling cards, replacing drivers license and all of the other stuff is not fun. This thread has been a cautionary tale to further remind us to put wallets, passports, etc. in the safe as soon as we hit the room.

Hope the rest of the cruise was good.

Edited by ar1950

Always nice when the OP returns to the thread. I am sorry you started your cruise with so much lost. I've lost my key card on more than one occasion. Even "lost" my cabin (had no clue what my cabin number was). That was a panic. But I can't imagine losing your wallet.

Hope you were able to still enjoy your cruise.

So sad! We were on the Royal Princess cruise before yours... I can only imagine how we would have felt had this happened to us. I hope that despite this frustration, you were able to enjoy your cruise & the beautiful ship.

Edited by #1Nanna

I would go back to where you sat at the Muster drill and check down the cushions and all around the area.

My DH once had his wallet slip out of his pocket at the movies. When we got home he realized it was missing. Thankfully, the manager of the theater let him back in to check and sure enough there it was wedged between the seats.

Sorry that your wallet is missing, but your assuming it is stolen and using that as the title of the thread is very misleading.

Like others, We too put our wallets, car keys, medication DH can't live without, and our passports and my jewelry in the safe as soon as we board. Instead of complaining on cruise critic I would be camped out at guest services.

I find it so disheartening to think that someone cruising on the same ship can be so dishonest and not turn in a lost wallet. Unfortunately they are everywhere even on cruise ships. Can't trust anyone these days

Normally my wallet would go right in the safe but I had put our room keys in it when we boarded and we needed the keys to attend the muster drill. They scanned our keys upon entry and I returned my wallet to my pocket as we sat down. That may have been where I dropped it. We sat right by the exit and performed the drill and then went straight to our cabin. It was already gone by then and we had no key to re-enter our cabin, so I retraced my steps back to my chair. We searched everywhere but it had obviously been picked up by then. It seemed strange that when we got on the elevator someone said Hold you life jackets over your heads so we can fit more people in the elevator. That may have been a fluke but my hands were in the air leaving my pockets exposed. Oh well tomorrow is our last day on the ship and still no wallet. Cards are cancelled and we saved lots of money by not being able to shop much....thanks for concerns everyone. Be vigilant.. Drew

That's terrible that your wallet wasn't located & returned to you! :(

Thanks for sharing your elevator experience which could be used by a pickpocket. Hopefully that wasn't where it went missing but it's something I'll consider.

I purchased a smaller wallet from a travel supplies website for whenever I'm traveling & keep it in my front pocket. It has a textured surface so it's not as easy to be slid out by a pickpocket when at the bottom of my front pocket. It also has a small clip to help secure it better in my front pocket.

Sorry the Internet connection is not the greatest on the ship and I haven't been able to get back on until now. Needed to save my minutes for check out and flight check ins..

Thank you for checking back in with us. Again, I am so sorry your wallet was not returned. As I correctly guessed in a previous post, you did immediately retrace your steps.

Whether it dropped from your pocket or you were pick pocketed, it's all just semantics. It is more than likely that someone on the ship did take it and made the decision not to return it.

It's hard to understand that there are those among us that have no qualms in hurting and harming others but sadly we cannot escape them, even on a cruise.

Normally my wallet would go right in the safe but I had put our room keys in it when we boarded and we needed the keys to attend the muster drill. They scanned our keys upon entry and I returned my wallet to my pocket as we sat down. That may have been where I dropped it. We sat right by the exit and performed the drill and then went straight to our cabin. It was already gone by then and we had no key to re-enter our cabin, so I retraced my steps back to my chair. We searched everywhere but it had obviously been picked up by then. It seemed strange that when we got on the elevator someone said Hold you life jackets over your heads so we can fit more people in the elevator. That may have been a fluke but my hands were in the air leaving my pockets exposed. Oh well tomorrow is our last day on the ship and still no wallet. Cards are cancelled and we saved lots of money by not being able to shop much....thanks for concerns everyone. Be vigilant.. Drew

I'm sorry your cruise was tainted by this misfortune. Thank you for letting us know how things turned out for you even though it wasn't the happy ending we were hoping for.

So sorry to hear that this wasn't resolved. My wallet went missing in the first half-hour on Santorini. Was it stolen, or did I lose it? No way to know. Luckily it was only my "day wallet" with one credit card and a few Euros, and the ship was nice enough to give me a free call to the bank to cancel the card. But it still put a real damper on the day -- I can only imagine how bummed I would have been if it was my entire wallet!

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

On a side note, what's the best way to contact the rightful owner should one ever find a wallet belonging to someone? I would certainly feel MUCH more comfortable finding the owner and handing it back to the lucky soul in person rather than just dropping it off at reception.

If there is any card/ID there with a name, can you ask for the cabin # at the desk? On RCI, if you found something with the seapass card there, you could see the cabin cabin number with just the deck number missing (so no first digit). But when you call a cabin from the public phones the first thing that comes up on the display is the guest's name, so with a bit of trial & error you could quickly locate the owner and deliver the lost item in person.

On a side note, what's the best way to contact the rightful owner should one ever find a wallet belonging to someone? I would certainly feel MUCH more comfortable finding the owner and handing it back to the lucky soul in person rather than just dropping it off at reception.

If there is any card/ID there with a name, can you ask for the cabin # at the desk? On RCI, if you found something with the seapass card there, you could see the cabin cabin number with just the deck number missing (so no first digit). But when you call a cabin from the public phones the first thing that comes up on the display is the guest's name, so with a bit of trial & error you could quickly locate the owner and deliver the lost item in person.

With name in hand (from wallet ID's), go to the Personal Service Desk and ask to be connected by phone with that person.

Sometimes, just knowing first names of both parties will also work. As when you have lunch with so and so and you would like to leave them a message. Passenger Service has a list of first names and cabin numbers. That's a really cool "secret".

Passenger Service will never give out a cabin number but will let you use their phone.

When I think of it, a cruise ship would be easy pickings for a pickpocket..Everybody is relaxed and having your wallet stolen would be the last thing on your mind. Most people are honest. It's the few that aren't that really makes a person jaded. I hope it turns up for you.

Total bummer your wallet was not turned it. That is just disappointing for many reasons, your reduced spending ability, and just the fact that there are some not so nice people out there. You clearly used it, and then it was gone. Someone HAD to have found it. :( boo to mean people out there.

Hopefully it didn't put a damper on your trip.

My ever-present Epi-pen and phone necessitate a small wristlet or cross-body. Oh, and all the stuff that my hubby wants to have on hand but doesn't want to carry himself, so he can then say "why do those women carry purses, sheesh?" LOL :rolleyes:

So true! I always have a small crossbody even walking around the ship and my husband is always asking for eye drops, kleenex, a pen etc.

Nah..

All that junk goes in the pockets too.

though I do use a "Man Bag" (better not call it what the family call it) when gounod into port, so much easier when returning to the ship, just throw the bag on the scanner and pick it up again.

OP what more could have you done.....to bad it did not show up, is all the thief had to do was take the money and then return it to guest relations...You would be surprised at how many people drop wallets in post office mail boxes, that is how my sister's purse was turned, minus the money. Please keep a close eye on your assets and credit report for awhile because of ID thief.

Edited by land lover