Deployment 2018-19 booking season begins

MADflyer

They're out!!!

Just booked a TP for 2019!

....ok, I'm kidding. This wait is driving me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was actually reaching for the phone to call RC until I finished reading your post. ;p

I'm right there with you on this wait. I called RC this morning and they said within the week. Sighs.. I'm just anxious to book the TP the day it comes out!

I had one booked once but airfare was much higher than the cruise so chose to cancel:(

I don't know if you're referring to Mariner's Around The Horn in 2009, but if so, you missed a good one! I call it our trip of a lifetime. :)

Thanks for the info. That's really surprising regarding Bliss' height compared to Radiance and Explorer. I never would've guessed she wasn't as tall as Explorer. So it seems that if Explorer was going to come back to the Caribbean or East Coast, around the Horn she'll go.

It's fun to speculate, isn't it? I'm sure this group could come up with more interesting itineraries than the powers that be. But I'm equally sure the costs would be unprofitable.

Well well well...

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Norwegian_Breakaway

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Norwegian_Bliss

Breakaway is 179ft tall (approx same as Radiance)... I didn't know that

Bliss supposedly get one more deck so I suppose still under the 200 foot span height of the Lion's Gate and the 203-205 ft span height of the BoA for the Panama Canal transit.

Voyager & Freedom Class are approx 206-207 feet tall

Hoopster,

If the silhouette as depicted on nautical cities is correct, the Bliss is just a smidgen over 190'. The Lions Gate Bridge is just a tad lower than the BoA, so the air draft won't be an issue at the Canal.

On the Voyager and Freedom class, sometime ago I found on some slide presentation I ran across comparing dimensions of some of the cruise ships of various lines and it had listed the Voyager/Freedom class as 208'. I have tried to find that presentation since just to reconfirm it, but no luck.

Maybe if they want to bring the Explorer back to the East coast and did not want to go the way of Magellan, they could always troll for pirates off Somalia and come via the Suez! But it would be great if they used the "other" Canal:D. I know there is more than just me waiting for Royal's return to that part of the world.

20i9ish.jpg

Edited by BillB48
Fogot the sillohuette ...

I had one booked once but airfare was much higher than the cruise so chose to cancel:(

We also booked a few years ago....but cancelled as our friends wanted to do a TA instead.

Hope Royal does it again in the future

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

If the silhouette as depicted on nautical cities is correct, the Bliss is just a smidgen over 190'. The Lions Gate Bridge is just a tad lower than the BoA, so the air draft won't be an issue at the Canal.

Aha... PC expert Bill is in the house! Thx for the confirmation :)

If you can find that extremely awesome thread we had about a year ago with Cheng in the conversation, with the pictures you provided and the full description, maybe you can repost the link here? I'd love to refer back to that.

Now I think about it, that is correct.

Here, I found an article: http://cruisecapital.co.uk/upcoming-tui-cruise-ships-will-be-renamed-mein-schiff-1-and-2/

She also revealed that the original Mein Schiff 1 and Mein Schiff 2, which will leave the fleet in 2018 and 2019, will be named TUI Discovery 3 and TUI Discovery 4 when they sail with Thomson Cruises.

I found a newer article saying Mein Shiff will be named TUI Explorer 1 and 2.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/16649-thomson-to-turn-mein-schiff-1-into-tui-explorer.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My bet is EoS doesn't come back to the Caribbean/East coast. Remember how much time it took, and how much money it cost, RCL to get Mariner around the horn? Not only that they had to give away cabins and super low prices. My guess would be she'll go back through the Suez to do something much more profitable like Europe if anything.... maybe EoS simply stays in Asia and gets "Marinized" for the Chinese market while RCL decides to send Ovation or Quantum4 over to Alaska in place of EoS.

Why did people not want to go around the Horn? I think it would be a great trip.

Thanks for the info. That's really surprising regarding Bliss' height compared to Radiance and Explorer. I never would've guessed she wasn't as tall as Explorer. So it seems that if Explorer was going to come back to the Caribbean or East Coast, around the Horn she'll go.

Know I can't keep wait for Royal, I'm on Bliss B2B including Panama Canal. :cool:

They're out!!!

Just booked a TP for 2019!

....ok, I'm kidding. This wait is driving me nuts.

Darn you! I got as far as "Just booked a TP for 2019" and went straight to RCCL's website, only to find.....NOTHING. :mad: Then I went back and read the rest of your message. Gggrrrr....... You got me!

Why did people not want to go around the Horn? I think it would be a great trip.

It was a great trip, I am one of the lucky ones who sailed on the Mariner around the horn with Cpt. Johnny for a song.

If that opportunity came up again I would be all over that!

Belinda

If you can find that extremely awesome thread we had about a year ago with Cheng in the conversation, with the pictures you provided and the full description, maybe you can repost the link here? I'd love to refer back to that.

Seems like there may be a couple of similarl threads. I have a look around and see what I can find.

It's not that people didn't want to go, it was because of the country's economic situation at the time. Final payment was due at the beginning of the Great Recession in 2008, with a lot of uncertainty, and people didn't want to spend money on travel.

I found two... almost good enough to put you to sleep...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51712915#post51712915

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2281468

It's not that people didn't want to go, it was because of the country's economic situation at the time. Final payment was due at the beginning of the Great Recession in 2008, with a lot of uncertainty, and people didn't want to spend money on travel.

We had it all booked and were soooo excited. Then we ran into difficulties getting our Brazilian visa. We were ready to pay for rush service but then found out our passports needed two open visa pages facing each other. Our problem then became getting new passports rushed. Wish we'd learned about the itinerary a lot earlier when we could have resolved the passport and visa problems. It's a shame these interesting itineraries are few and far between.

Hong Kong Ports claim Voyager is port 1 May 2019

Sydney Ports claim Voyager is in port 23 April 2019.

Darwin schedule is showing Voyager in port on April 23 too; consistent with HK schedule. Supports theory of another ship coming to Sydney as Royal wouldn't bother extending Voyager's season in Aus by just a week or two. Maybe Royal has worked out that Shangai is too cold for cruising in northern winter. Quantum and Ovation rendevouz in Sydney?

Darwin schedule is showing Voyager in port on April 23 too; consistent with HK schedule. Supports theory of another ship coming to Sydney as Royal wouldn't bother extending Voyager's season in Aus by just a week or two. Maybe Royal has worked out that Shangai is too cold for cruising in northern winter. Quantum and Ovation rendevouz in Sydney?

That is what I was thinking Geoff Quantum is going to Singapore or Sydney.

The other possibility is Royal is going to redeploy something already on sale to our region.

(They could also be dummy bookings to confuse us and Carnival Cruises.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's on my Bucket List (tho' DW not keen).

Being a Shackleton fan since childhood this one would be even better but I'd need a Lottery win to do it:

http://www.wildernesstravel.com/trip/antarctica/antarctica-falklands-south-georgia-cruise/itinerary

Anyway, getting OT, sorry:)

The word from Nextcruise staff on Rhapsody today is that Australia, New Zealand & South Pacific cruises will go on sale April 27.

They know nothing of any potential change to the deployment of ships to the region or seasonality.

Further, they don't know anything about Vision sailings being withdrawn or the possible sale of any Vision class ship.

So, it's business as usual really.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk