Gratuities going up..

Bruin Steve

Thanks for sharing. The free gratuities on the 3 for Free promotion turns out to be a very good deal!

I just booked the 3 for Free promotion earlier this week and Princess sent me the e-mail about the increase in gratuities.

Just got the email. Thank God I have the "3 for Free" promotion which includes gratuities.

I just booked the 3 for Free promotion earlier this week and Princess still sent me the e-mail about the increase in gratuities.

Not only that but I did not get the cabin upgrade because "according to Princess" the only cabin available for both legs of my B2B cruises was in a category not covered by the cabin upgrade.

I've had just about enough of Princess jerking me around.

I just booked the 3 for Free promotion earlier this week and Princess sent me the e-mail about the increase in gratuities.

They probably emailed everyone who has a cruise booked after the change goes into effect - whether they are booked under a promotion with free gratuities or not.

Makes sense, because what if you decide to change to a different promotion down the road? You should be made aware that the gratuities will be going up.

Add me to the list of those who wish it was included in the fare. I hope it isn't being increased for folks like me who leave the auto gratuity on to make up for those who remove the tips!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The thought did occur to me that these increases, two in one year, are a result of too many people removing their auto tips, thus the rest of us are paying for their greediness.

Personally I have 2 cruises booked. I won't be prepaying the gratuities on either of them. I feel the crew is worth every penny and then some. I would hate it if my boss came to me and said, "I'm giving you a raise next Monday. Oh, except on all the appointments that you already have booked for after that day. You will be paid at your old rate for those."

I agree with everything you said. We will not prepaying gratuities on our upcoming cruises either, just to avoid spending an extra $1.10 a day per couple. The crew is worth it and more and we will still tip extra when warranted.

I didn't see the crew work less hard when the US $ was so devalued a few years ago and they were making less in their home currency. Why would I cheat them now?

The thought did occur to me that these increases, two in one year, are a result of too many people removing their auto tips, thus the rest of us are paying for their greediness.

I wondered about that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wish they would not allow the option of removing or adjusting.

The amount is trivial but I don't believe this is legal. A few years ago we purchased a Holland America cruise and they later added a fuel surcharge. Some passengers filed a class-action lawsuit saying the cruise line could not raise the fare because we had a valid contract for a certain amount. We ended up receiving a refund for the amount of the fuel surcharge (after the cruise).

I don't think Princess can do this to passengers who have already committed to a certain price.

These are two very different concepts. The fuel surcharge was mandatory with no way to opt out. The gratuity is a suggested amount that you are not "committed" to paying. Inasmuch as you are not compelled to pay a penny extra, Princess has done nothing wrong. You can adjust your tip to the status quo ante, or pay the status quo ante amount between now and mid November and suffer no compensable harm.

If you prepay before final payment, then have to cancel, I'd assume you get the money back.

I was wondering the same thing.

I have a cruise booked November 2017 which is obviously a long time away from now ,but if I prepay the gratuities now and cancel my cruise prior to final payment are my gratuities refunded? I know it's not a lot of money as far as the increase goes ,but if I have the option to prepay I might think about it.( I never have that much onboard credit to justify waiting to use that )

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

55 cents per day, or $1.10 per couple, per day, is not so much as to be upset about it. But what upsets me a little is that it is the second increase in less than a year, and I thought the last increase $1.55/per person or $3.10 per couple per day, was substantial. I thought with that substantial an increase back in January, they would not raise it again for a while. It seems like in the cruise industry, when one line does something, the others think they should all jump in and do the same. This very adversely affects cruise passengers.

I would never remove the automatic gratuities. I really like giving some crew members additional tips at the end of the cruise, and unfortunately, after two increases in less than a year, I think I will be reducing the additional amount that I give. So, I feel the crew members who work hard are the ones who will suffer the most, because I think there will be a number of passengers like myself who will reduce the additional amount of cash that they might give.

As with all price increases, I will continue to monitor the costs of all types of vacations, and if prices continue to increase, land based trips might become more attractive. For now, I still feel that cruising is a good value.

But then we are back to just making it part of the cruise fare (if it is a mandatory charge, it is the same thing). In fairness, we've never reduced or eliminated a gratuity charge but I still wish it were just part of the cruise pricing.

They can't do that because then it would look like Princess cruises cost more than Celebrity cruises.....and they couldn't run their "3 for free" which is already 2 for free for us.

If this were the case, where would it end?

I'm sure this increase will have additional people removing tips and so they are no better off.

Since gratuities are voluntary and optional (not a part of the fare) then for all who feel wronged by the increase just tell passenger services to reduce or eliminate the auto tip on your account. Problem solved. Personally, I won't be doing that, but, for others the option is there. Just sayin'.

This comment is too concise, reasonable and clear :)

Somebody will blame you for it for some reason :rolleyes:

55 cents per day, or $1.10 per couple, per day, is not so much as to be upset about it. But what upsets me a little is that it is the second increase in less than a year, and I thought the last increase $1.55/per person or $3.10 per couple per day, was substantial. I thought with that substantial an increase back in January, they would not raise it again for a while. It seems like in the cruise industry, when one line does something, the others think they should all jump in and do the same. This very adversely affects cruise passengers.

I would never remove the automatic gratuities. I really like giving some crew members additional tips at the end of the cruise, and unfortunately, after two increases in less than a year, I think I will be reducing the additional amount that I give. So, I feel the crew members who work hard are the ones who will suffer the most, because I think there will be a number of passengers like myself who will reduce the additional amount of cash that they might give.

As with all price increases, I will continue to monitor the costs of all types of vacations, and if prices continue to increase, land based trips might become more attractive. For now, I still feel that cruising is a good value.

Pretty much the way we feel too except we love our land trips and as tips are now approaching $40 Canadian a day to cruise it is definitely swaying us more towards land trips (I'm typing this from the Marriott in surfers Paradise :p )

Then it wouldn't be a tip. A tip is not something that should automatically be given to someone just because he's doing his job. A tip, in other words, is earned. If my waiter or cabin steward does an excellent job then he has earned a tip. If they do a mediocre job then less of a tip is earned. And if they do a really lousy job then no tip is earned.

Gratuities are going up!!!

Of course they are everyone needs more $$$$.$$ so let's just do it and don't make a big thing about it. If we didn't have a boatload of $$$.$$ we wouldn't be cruising right ???????

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

Gratuities are going up!!!

Of course they are everyone needs more $$$$.$$ so let's just do it and don't make a big thing about it. If we didn't have a boatload of $$$.$$ we wouldn't be cruising right ???????

Tony

Bingo! If you can't afford the tip you can't afford to cruise. Don't be so stingy. You can't take it with you. We have worked hard and have made good, we like to spread it around.

It's a vicious cycle and it has the appearance of continuing.

If you were to get terrible service you would have no recourse since your tips would be mandatory. Not a great idea.

Then it wouldn't be a tip. A tip is not something that should automatically be given to someone just because he's doing his job. A tip, in other words, is earned. If my waiter or cabin steward does an excellent job then he has earned a tip. If they do a mediocre job then less of a tip is earned. And if they do a really lousy job then no tip is earned.

In an ideal economy, people would be paid a fair wage for doing their job. Unfortunately, because of the tipping practice mainly in North America, people who work in the service industry where tipping is encouraged are paid less because it's expected that tips will make up the difference.

Abolish tipping and pay a fair wage.