Gratuities going up..

Bruin Steve

The amount is trivial but I don't believe this is legal. A few years ago we purchased a Holland America cruise and they later added a fuel surcharge. Some passengers filed a class-action lawsuit saying the cruise line could not raise the fare because we had a valid contract for a certain amount. We ended up receiving a refund for the amount of the fuel surcharge (after the cruise).

I don't think Princess can do this to passengers who have already committed to a certain price.

My first thoughts were twofold. First' date=' it's only $1 per day. Secondly, didn't they just raise them?

THen....they were already more than some other lines.

For the first time, I has an issue where I really didn't like the way that Princess does the tip pool. Our steward was somewhat lacking. It was one of the few times I would have reduced a tip. [b'] However, there was no way I could do that without impacting our dining team, etc.[/b] Oh well, each line has things I like a lot and things I like less.

Decrease the automatic and give extra to the MDR crew.

Here is my question:

Our next cruise is April 2017, we will have $1100 OBC. If we prepay gratuities is there a way that we can use our OBC for that? If not, we would be better off waiting to pay on board with OBC.

Does anyone have the answer to this, would sure appreciate the input.

Once you've prepaid you cannot use your OBC for the gratuities so I wouldn't prepay them.

I didn't receive an email notification yet but got it forwarded from my TA. Both of our future cruises have free gratuities included so it won't affect those cruises.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Here is my question:

Our next cruise is April 2017, we will have $1100 OBC. If we prepay gratuities is there a way that we can use our OBC for that? If not, we would be better off waiting to pay on board with OBC.

Does anyone have the answer to this, would sure appreciate the input.

Don't prepay. You have plenty of OBC to pay your grats AND play. :D

The amount is trivial but I don't believe this is legal. A few years ago we purchased a Holland America cruise and they later added a fuel surcharge. Some passengers filed a class-action lawsuit saying the cruise line could not raise the fare because we had a valid contract for a certain amount. We ended up receiving a refund for the amount of the fuel surcharge (after the cruise).

I don't think Princess can do this to passengers who have already committed to a certain price.

That is what I was thinking. If you want to increase the amount for new bookings from this day forward, OK. But it doesn't seem right to increase them on existing bookings :rolleyes:

My first thoughts were twofold. First' date=' it's only $1 per day. Secondly, didn't they just raise them?

[b']THen....they were already more than some other lines.[/b]

For the first time, I has an issue where I really didn't like the way that Princess does the tip pool. Our steward was somewhat lacking. It was one of the few times I would have reduced a tip. However, there was no way I could do that without impacting our dining team, etc. Oh well, each line has things I like a lot and things I like less.

Princess was actually lower or right close to the low end of her main competition lines...until this most recent raise to $13.50/$14.50/$15.50.... Which actually brings Princess right in line with Celebrity, RCI, Carnival, etc...

Currently:

Celebrity's daily service charge is $13.50 per stateroom/$14 for Concierge and Aqua and $17 per suite. NCL is $13.50 for staterooms and $$15.50 for suites/Haven. Carnival is $12.95 for staterooms and $13.95 for suites. Royal Caribbean is $13.50 for staterooms and $16.50 for suites. Holland America is $12.50 staterooms/$13.50 for suites..

So, Princess was, with the old gratuity, hardly higher than other lines. And with this new raise, is right in line with their main competition's gratuities. If you count P&O, then yeah, they're higher - as are all mainstream lines. I'm sure there are others that are lower than the main ones too, but they're also not the main competition lines to Princess.. ..

Granted, two raises in a year is a bit much.....it will make a minimal difference on both our next sailings but it would have been married palatable if they had done it next year, and given us at least a year to settle into the old new gratuities. Lol...

I found an article that described the Princess gratuities levels up to the 1/1/16 increase but not the next increase.

"Princess, which as late as 2007 was at $10 a day, raised the figure by 50 cents in 2008 and then waited until May 2011 to increase it to $11.50. Beginning with cruises departing Jan. 1, the suggested gratuity will jump to $12.95 a day, with suite guests paying $13.95".

Princess has usually been slower to increase gratuities than other cruise lines & just saw the post by 'reedprincess' that they're still in line with other cruise lines.

It's not a surprise to me that suites are now $1 more than a minisuite which is smaller & provides no additional benefits.

I would be curious to see data posted about how many cruisers actually pay the "suggested" amounts and how many adjust or totally remove grats. I know it's done since I've overheard conversations while waiting in line @ psd for another issue. While I'm not a mega seasoned cruiser, I've been on several lines but only PCL for last 11 cruises and have only once entertained the idea of having grats removed and that was on my third and LAST NCL cruise. We had the most useless lazy steward I think on the high seas ever and he should've been paying the three of us for doing much of HIS work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by hockeygal54

What is interesting to me is that the increase in onboard tips has far outstripped inflation, at least here in the US, where wages have been stagnant for many.

On the first cruise that I took that had tips charged to onboard accounts, rather than paid directly to staff in envelopes, daily tips were $7.00 USD per person. This was in 2002. According the the US Gov't inflation calculator, that would equal $9.36 USD in 2016. So a "raise" to $13.50 is a significant bump.

I have to wonder if this all really goes to staff, as another poster mentioned, or if Princess is taking some sort of "processing" fee for themselves out of this?

Personally I have 2 cruises booked. I won't be prepaying the gratuities on either of them. I feel the crew is worth every penny and then some. I would hate it if my boss came to me and said, "I'm giving you a raise next Monday. Oh, except on all the appointments that you already have booked for after that day. You will be paid at your old rate for those."

Since gratuities are voluntary and optional (not a part of the fare) then for all who feel wronged by the increase just tell passenger services to reduce or eliminate the auto tip on your account. Problem solved. Personally, I won't be doing that, but, for others the option is there. Just sayin'.

The gratuity rate increase is comparable to cruise industry standards and underlines our commitment toward our crew for the excellent service they provide our guests.

For our next cruise on P & O UK it is £5 pppd (approx $6.50). Although still prefer Princess, this one is more convenient.

Yes, but the Promotions go away, but this will not. I wish they would just roll this added fee into the price of the ticket.:(

I wish tips were included in the price everywhere, not just cruises but restaurants too. But that's a whole 'nother discussion :)

The new daily gratuity amounts are $13.50 USD per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms (including children), $14.50 USD per guest for mini-suites (including Club Class), and $15.50 USD per guest for suites.

The gratuity rate increase is comparable to cruise industry standards

Correct. $13.50 & up is the going rate charged by most mass market cruise lines. Another vote for 3 For Free promo.

I just received the same email. It is minimal, so not a big deal. On most cruises, we typically tip additional cash to our room steward, waiter, asst. waiter, and sometimes sommelier. We may start adjusting the additional cash amount down a bit.

Same here. We usually tip a little extra but now it might be just a little less.

I for one won't be paying this. I plan to go to guest services and assign the amount I believe actually goes to crew which is about $10 PP PD. The rest only goes into CCL's bottom line.

Lately there seems to be no end to this nonsense. Pay the dsc and then pay again going to a specialty restaurant. This tip mentality is unique to us Americans and they know it and exploit it.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Of course all of the cruise lines could end all of the controversy, take away the need to constantly up the amounts, solve the problem of some folks stiffing the crew, end the issues with cultural differences between different countries where tipping customs are different, etc. by simply doing this:

Base cruise prices on an amount with "Gratuities included". Flat out tell people that all such charges are included in the cruise price. Then make a statement that "Though all crew are adequately compensated according to traditional standards from funds incorporated, if any passenger wishes to further tip any crew member for additional services performed or performance well above the usual standards, passengers are free to do so by directly giving such crew member an additional gratuity based on such passenger's desires."

Then, the gratuities never have to be increased again, the cruise fares would be marginally higher but most of us would probably never notice. For those of us who now book thinking "the cruise will cost me $3,000 plus fees and port taxes of $300 plus gratuities of $189...so a total price of $3,489"...would instead say "the cruise cost me $3,189 plus fees and taxes of $300 for a total price of $3,489"...SAME thing...If Princess raised the gratuities in the blended price by 50 cents per person, the base price just goes up to $3,503 plus taxes and fees...and nobody cares. Meanwhile, NOBODY stiffs the crew for any reason whether it be cultural or just plain stinginess. Those who wish to throw a few extra bucks at favored crew still do so.

Of course, the cruise lines would no longer get to run promotions with "Free Gratuities". Of course, we know they are not really free anyway, just blended into that "sale price". All my solution does is to make that "sale" permanent. They can always still promote with "Free Internet" or "Free Drink Packages" or "Free Shore Excursions" or "Free Specialty Dinner"...or whatever.

Edited by Bruin Steve