First Time on Princess - Questions on Specialty Restaurants

roxievegas

Past 7 cruises have been on Celebrity. We don't want to fly anymore, so we booked the Emerald Princess 28 night round trip LA (hawaii/tahiti). We got a balcony and took a one perk, drink package. Celebrity offers a restaurant package, 3, 5 or 7 dinners (price per person will average to save 30 - 40%) Murano is the highest cost $50 pp, but you can go for $30 pp.

Does Princess offer something like this?

For anyone that cruises both lines can you give me some insight on what to expect from princess vs Celebrity

thank you for any info

Drink package on a 28 day cruise is a great deal!

While there is no specialty restaurant package on Princess the price isn't terribly bad, $25 for the Italian restaurant, Sabatini's, and $25 for the steak house, Crown Grill. On Emerald you also have SHARE, which I really liked, and that is more pricey at $39 (?) per person, I don't recall the price, but I'm sure you can find it on the website.

All worth going at least once

Enjoy your cruise!

Past 7 cruises have been on Celebrity. We don't want to fly anymore, so we booked the Emerald Princess 28 night round trip LA (hawaii/tahiti). We got a balcony and took a one perk, drink package. Celebrity offers a restaurant package, 3, 5 or 7 dinners (price per person will average to save 30 - 40%) Murano is the highest cost $50 pp, but you can go for $30 pp.

For anyone that cruises both lines can you give me some insight on what to expect from princess vs Celebrity

thank you for any info

I don't see you in the Roll Call Thread for this cruise! We currently have 2,894 posts in the thread and also have a Shutterfly Page dedicated to the cruise. Come on over and join the roll call. :)

Drink package on a 28 day cruise is a great deal!

While there is no specialty restaurant package on Princess the price isn't terribly bad, $25 for the Italian restaurant, Sabatini's, and $25 for the steak house, Crown Grill. On Emerald you also have SHARE, which I really liked, and that is more pricey at $39 (?) per person, I don't recall the price, but I'm sure you can find it on the website.

All worth going at least once

Enjoy your cruise!

Price for Sabatini's and Crown Grill are $29pp but they are bringing a new menu out for Sabatini's which is not yet available on all ships as yet and that will be $25.

thank you for any info

Here is a question and some information. I checked the Emerald Princess 28 day sailings and do not see where Princess is offering their All Inclusive Beverage Package (AIBP), what Princess refers to as the Sip & Sail, as a promo. The package cost is $1,605.80/pp for the 28 days. Are you sure you have this package? If you do you can have any non-alcoholic or alcoholic beverage menu priced $10 or under. This includes about 95% of all drinks offered on the ship. It also includes 40% off any bottle of wine priced up to $100. The AIBP excludes room service.

DR food on the Emerald is very good and there is no need to dine elsewhere. There are no dining packages, they aren’t necessary. But, there are some alternate ding venues and options to make your cruise more enjoyable, make reservations once on board* by calling the dine line or visiting the restaurant. You will find they are not so crowded.

Actual restaurants:

-Crown Grill, steak, chops & seafood, $29/pp*

-Share by Curtis Stone, $39/pp*

Other dining options:

-Chef’s Table, Around $100/pp, sign up on boarding day. http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/chefs-table-info.html

-Ultimate Balcony Dining, I believe the costs are dinner $100/two, breakfast $45/two. Reserve by calling room service. http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/ultimatebalconydining.htm

-Crab Shack, $29/pp, Buckets of shellfish, offered some evenings in a closed off buffet seating area, make reservations on board.

-Salty Dog Gastropub, Not sure if cost is $19 or $12 it may have been reduced. These are specialty burgers and some other fare offered at high top tables in the Wheelhouse Bar. Walk in. Not very popular.

Of course there are all the other no charge options, International Café open 24/7; Horizon Ct./Café Caribe buffet, open continuously from5am till late evening; by the Lido Pools the Trident Grill, & pizza & soft ice cream open 11am till late evening; 24 hour room service, limited menu.

*You can pre-book and pre-pay on line in your cruise personlizer if you like.

When we took this itinerary there was a very active roll call with lots of private trips, and on board activities. Make sure you check it out.

Price for Sabatini's and Crown Grill are $29pp but they are bringing a new menu out for Sabatini's which is not yet available on all ships as yet and that will be $25.

Yes

That was a typo for crown grill on my part

I meant $29

I didn't realize the new Sabatinis menu was not out fleet wide

Pricing will be in the personalizer for each persons cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO Celebrity and Princess are more alike then different. I prefer celebrity for food but it's a very small margin. The demographics are similar, the service is good on both lines. If both cruise lines were leaving the same port with the same price and itinerary I would pick either one and be happy.

Yes

That was a typo for crown grill on my part

I meant $29

I didn't realize the new Sabatinis menu was not out fleet wide

Pricing will be in the personalizer for each persons cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP is asking about the Emerald Princess. The Emerald Princess does not have Sabatini's. It was replaced by SHARE a few years ago. SHARE is $39/pp.

Yes, unfortunately, Emerald has SHARE.

We did give it a try ... but did NOT like it. :(

As others have mentioned, the MDR food on Emerald is generally good enough not to need to have dinner at specialty restaurants. :D

So PAX love Sabatini's and if you go there you will be eligible for a multi-course feast, very well-prepared and presented. A lovely evening. So if this is what you like, spend a little money and enjoy! Otherwise the main dining facilities are quite good.

Can I hi jack this thread for a moment? We are also experienced Celebrity cruisers doing a first cruise on Princess, specifically the Star Princess and was wondering not only about the specialty dining packages but if there is the equivalent of Blu or at like the ability to get a clean meal in the MDR. I also would like to know the drink packages line up. On Celebrity, we get ice cold bottled water pretty much everywhere on the ship, but it looks like Princess water package just delivers bottled water to your stateroom. Is that a correct understanding?

Can I hi jack this thread for a moment? We are also experienced Celebrity cruisers doing a first cruise on Princess, specifically the Star Princess and was wondering not only about the specialty dining packages but if there is the equivalent of Blu or at like the ability to get a clean meal in the MDR. I also would like to know the drink packages line up. On Celebrity, we get ice cold bottled water pretty much everywhere on the ship, but it looks like Princess water package just delivers bottled water to your stateroom. Is that a correct understanding?

We cruise extensively on both lines and think the food in the Crown Grill stands up to that in the Tuscan Grille ... although Murano is somewhat better IMO. I have no problem spending $29 once .. or twice on a longer cruise... at the Crown Grill. And, I love Murano but won't pay the going rate of $50 for a meal so do look for specials. I haven't seen any dining packages on Princess.

There is really no place onboard Princess that compares to Blu .... but you can always get pretty good food in the MDR in Princess and you can also order it with no sauces if that is what you prefer. I've eaten in Blu before and don't understand the claim of having clean food. It is excellent but healthier??? Not sure about that claim. The International Cafe is more like the Aqua Spa Cafe, not so much in food choices but to walk up and grab a small plate to go.

The buffet on Celebrity beats the one on Princess by a mile.

The drink package on Princess is very good .... offers all drinks up to $10 at last check ... but is not separated out into Standard, Classic, Premium as they do on Celebrity. Since the drink prices on Princess are cheaper to begin with, there are not a lot of drinks that you can't get when using the package. I believe bottled water and specialty coffees are also included in the package. I would never buy the beverage package outright on any cruiseline but when included in a promo, I get it every time. My next two Princess cruises were booked under the Sip and Sail promo and the prices have actually gone up since these cruises have been booked. But, I am also aware that mostly, these packages are factored into the prices that are charged.

The water package on Princess, if you choose to buy bottled water ahead of time to have for your room, can only be purchased ahead of time and is a pretty decent deal ...I think it is just under $7 for a case. If you don't purchase it ahead of time, you are always more than welcome to buy the ice cold water that is onboard at any of the bars, lounges, but it won't be that inexpensive ... and you shouldn't have to purchase it if you have the package.

I also agree with Pam in that the food in the MDR is quite good ... but I still would splurge to go to the Crown Grill once for a special dinner.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Just an aside, clean eating is eating foods that haven't been submitted to a lot of refinement or processing. It's generally much lower in sodium because foods remain closest to their natural state. Baking or grilling would be clean where breading and deep frying would not.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

......................................................................................

I also agree with Pam in that the food in the MDR is quite good ... but I still would splurge to go to the Crown Grill once for a special dinner.

Absolutely, do go to Crown Grill when you want a very good steak! :D

Many of us are just saying ...."The MDR is good enough not to need to go to a Specialty Restaurant EVERY night." :D

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Just an aside, clean eating is eating foods that haven't been submitted to a lot of refinement or processing. It's generally much lower in sodium because foods remain closest to their natural state. Baking or grilling would be clean where breading and deep frying would not.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Princess does not have a fining room, or cabin category, similar to Aqua and Blu. The food in the MDR offers a variety of meals including many each night that are close to their natural state, ie not breaded or fried, simply baked or cooked as is with seasonings... And you can always ask for a more basic preparation if needed.

As far as bottled water, if you have the AIBP (all-inclusive beverage package), you can get cold bottled water at any bar or dining room you like, just like on Celebrity. The AIBP includes EVERY drinks $10 and under, which is virtually everything onboard, and that includes bottled water including the 500ml and 1.5 liter sizes. There's maybe 6-8 drinks not covered. There's a comprehensive beverage list and evaluator here in the forum, a quick search brings it up and you can see for yourself. Drinks, and the drink gratuity, are less expensive on Princess than Celebrity, sometimes by a lot! (martinis, etc).

There's also self serve ice water in the buffet and most bars have jugs if ice water and cups for guests to help themselves throughout the day and evening.

Demand for specialty restaurants depends a lot on the itinerary. On one of our short cruises, both Sabatini's and the Crown Grill were booked solid. That was a 4-day New Year's Eve cruise. On most other cruises, we have not had any problems getting a reservation for the night and time we wanted.

Princess does not have a fining room, or cabin category, similar to Aqua and Blu. The food in the MDR offers a variety of meals including many each night that are close to their natural state, ie not breaded or fried, simply baked or cooked as is with seasonings... And you can always ask for a more basic preparation if needed.

As far as bottled water, if you have the AIBP (all-inclusive beverage package), you can get cold bottled water at any bar or dining room you like, just like on Celebrity. The AIBP includes EVERY drinks $10 and under, which is virtually everything onboard, and that includes bottled water including the 500ml and 1.5 liter sizes. There's maybe 6-8 drinks not covered. There's a comprehensive beverage list and evaluator here in the forum, a quick search brings it up and you can see for yourself. Drinks, and the drink gratuity, are less expensive on Princess than Celebrity, sometimes by a lot! (martinis, etc).

There's also self serve ice water in the buffet and most bars have jugs if ice water and cups for guests to help themselves throughout the day and evening.

I'm having problems finding the "There's a comprehensive beverage list and evaluator here in the forum". I'm trying to catch up as I'm new to cruising and debating if the package is worth it and would we really drink 800.00 worth per person with planning to be off the ship exploring ports. We are on a 14 day cruise at 57 per day, per person.

Marsha

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm having problems finding the "There's a comprehensive beverage list and evaluator here in the forum". I'm trying to catch up as I'm new to cruising and debating if the package is worth it and would we really drink 800.00 worth per person with planning to be off the ship exploring ports. We are on a 14 day cruise at 57 per day, per person.

Marsha

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Post #670 has the most current updates for US pricing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2038576&highlight=beverage+evaluator&page=34