Should I work for a higher VIFP tier or try other cruise lines?

Joebucks

We stay with CCL, not to get the benefits, but for price, as we get two rooms and when we travel they are almost always the most cost effective. We have chosen Princess only twice because one Time the price was the same and it took us to Aruba and Curacao which wasn’t offered in our time frame, and the other because it was Alaska and Princess is the leader there.

If you want to cruise the Caribbean and are happy with Carnival you get the widest variety of any line at generally the best price.

If you want to cruise the world, spread your wings to Princess or other lines. As our boys are getting older and we have pretty much exhausted the Carnival itineraries, we are making the shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to preface my comments by saying " I am old" and have been cruising since 1982 and I wasn't a child then. Close--but already married, divorced and a mother of one.

I started on Home Lines, which went out of business. Next came Carnival and I sailed a few times. Then one time I decided to try Celebrity. I picked the ship because the cruise brochure had a beautiful picture on the cover and I wanted to sail on that line.

I was still young and Celebrity seemed a lot "higher class" and more refined and I loved the food. I sailed enough on Celebrity to become Elite. Then, I met my second husband.

He had never been on a cruise so it was up to me to decide what/where/when. I thought since he was the hate to dress up guy, that Carnival would be best for us. So, a few cruises on Carnival and we enjoyed them all.

My husband wasn't in love with cruising as I was so I went with my sister on Royal Caribbean. It was fun, but I still didn't feel I needed to be loyal to any line. Long story short, we started sailing again on Carnival.

Then my husband wanted to go to Alaska, so we went there twice on NCL. Then we really started cruising on Royal Caribbean. We found the perks offered to Diamond and then Diamond Plus passengers better than the ones we were offered as Platinum on Carnival.

We still sailed Carnival here and there as we lived in FL and wanted to sail from Pt Canaveral which was about an hour from home. We sailed enough on Carnival to be almost Diamond.

I am back to sailing on Royal Caribbean all the time now because my husband has passed away and I now travel with other family and the large Royal Caribbean ships are the ones my family love. I also like that I have been able to buy the deluxe alcohol package (up til now) without having my cabin mate have to purchase it too. I love that there are more specialty restaurants and there are discounted packages to go to several for a reduced price.

I love that I am Diamond Plus and get free drinks in the Diamond Lounge. I love that I get a couple of free days of real internet service. I love that I get a couple of free sodas or beer in my cabin, and a bottle of wine delivered to the cabin or the dining room. I love that I get one bag of laundry free, even though on Carnival I could get more.

I think all the major cruise lines are declining in food, but I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for a dinner away from the MDR and all the noise in there. I like not having to wait a long time when I am seated in the MDR to get a glass of wine to drink with dinner, as opposed to getting it when I am half way through dinner, or when I am about ready for dessert.

I know I have rambled on, and most will have tuned me out by now, but I wanted to explain that sticking with just one line, unless it meets or exceeds your expectations isn't worth it. No matter what you choose to do, enjoy life-- it's often cut too short.

I'm all up for doing 2-3 cruises a year, but that doesn't mean the other parties will.

I guess it does make sense to give the others a try. From there, I will likely find my favorite line and build up loyalty. Food, price, and comedy attract me the most. Carnival did very well with those things.

Let me voice a minority opinion here. It sounds like you took a Carnival Cruise, they had things you liked, so much so that you’re considering cruising 2-3 times a year.

So I say cruise them again, not so much for the perks (which are not that much for all lines but particularly weak with Carnival) but because you found a line you like.

No shame in marrying your high school sweetheart. And unlike a marriage, there’s no shame in scratching a 7 year itch!

The cruise lines change over time and so do we. The lowest cruise price, comedy shows, and the food carnival serves are your priorities now, but maybe in a few years, you won’t be as price sensitive, have heard all the jokes and prefer specialty dining.

Try different lines! I've been only cruising for a few years. So far I've tried NCL, RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity. Some more than once.

This Sunday will be my first Carnival and next year I'm going on the new MSC Seaside.

Honestly, they are all more alike then different but some definitely shine in certain areas, I definitely have my favorites. But if the price isn't right I have to move on to what works financially. I've liked every cruise so far.

I can't imagine just cruising on one line. How would you know what your preference is? You'd be missing out on some awesome ships and ports.

Personally I look at price and islands. I don't care about cruise status.

No decision is a wrong one though. Do what feels right.

Personally, I’m torn with this very subject. We have only done Carnival and only have Carnival cruises booked. That said, I cruise for the ports and not the ship. So far, Carnival has always been the best value for the ports that I want to visit. But, with more and more cruises under my belt, I’m finding it harder to find new ports on Carnival. Yes, I would like to reach Platinum on Carnival. But, I think it’s more likely than not that we will need to branch out to other lines sooner rather than later.

Personally, I’m torn with this very subject. We have only done Carnival and only have Carnival cruises booked. That said, I cruise for the ports and not the ship. So far, Carnival has always been the best value for the ports that I want to visit. But, with more and more cruises under my belt, I’m finding it harder to find new ports on Carnival. Yes, I would like to reach Platinum on Carnival. But, I think it’s more likely than not that we will need to branch out to other lines sooner rather than later.

The wife and I were like you. Then we decided we wanted to explore more and ended up on a NCL Mediterranean cruise. Love Carnival and love NCL. NCL is great for us because, unlike Carnival, they have a year round presence in Europe.

We currently have a 7 night with Carnival this March and a 9 night Baltic with NCL. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Wow! I am surprised how many responded and said to try other lines. One factor not considered, however, is that usually, Carnival will have better pricing. Not always but most of the time. I also like the Carnival gift card factor with AARP and you save another 10 percent on the cruise and cruise expenses. Most of the other cruise lines are geared to having you make food purchases outside the normal offerings. Carnival is headed that way but not their yet although I think it is just a matter of time as they build new ships with different arrangements..

I am Platinum with Carnival with 20 past cruises and the 21st cruise scheduled for 2018. I try and do one a year. After the first Carnival cruise, I was so hooked I just wanted to cruise over and over again. Some times I wonder what the other lines would be like but I have been so satisfied that I just did not bother.

So I did not help much but either way you go, you will enjoy the cruise. Now back to the dilemma.

We have been on 4 Carnival cruises, and have another booked for August 2018. We are trying RC next month. I'm excited to try it, but also a little nervous to see if I miss Carnival. We booked it a year ago, just because it was cheap and the dates worked, but then later booked another Carnival. I like knowing what to expect, the ship's features, etc which I have found easier on Carnival. Maybe it's in part due to this board. RC board doesn't seem as active.

We just got off the Carnival Miracle to Mexico and it was not a great week. The food was just okay, the steward was missing most of the time , they only service the room once now so our room was dirty till late afternoon, and the dinning room seemed to have half the workers of last cruise. The toilets weren’t working very well throughout the ship and smelled. There was a pool party each night till after midnight and it was loud enough that it kept lots of people awake. The Legend to Alaska last year was a completely different experience.

I have never had other than twice a day room service on 28 Carnival cruises. If you do not see your room steward on debarkation day to fill out your request card, all you need to do is call housekeeping and ask to have your steward come to your cabin with the card. We have never had to do this, but it is the way to get it done. Maybe you ran into a toilet that wasn't perfect a couple of times on the ship, but to say "The toilets weren’t working very well throughout the ship and smelled" is like saying you took a survey of "everyone" on the ship and they all agreed with you. Or that you interviewed "lots" of people on the ship and they all said they were kept awake by the pool parties. Exactly how many is "lots" and what cabins were they in? "Reviews" like this one are not very helpful, not do they lend themselves to any kind of credibility.

I sailed a lot on Carnival before I tried RCCL. I like both so when I found a great deal on a 10 day RCCL solo rate I jumped. I had also done a 5 day prior on RCCL. I have a friend who sails Princess so I gave that a try and have been on 4 Princess. That being said he got a great deal on NCL last year so we did that and have two more booked next year. I actually have Carnival Miracle booked for November this year, it will be the first Carnival cruise I have taken in 7 1/2 years. Looking forward to seeing what has changed/stayed the same.

Candi

There was a pool party each night till after midnight and it was loud enough that it kept lots of people awake. The Legend to Alaska last year was a completely different experience.

Did it keep you awake?

You could have chosen early service or both. Could have changed times of service. We always leave notes when we have Ninja Stewards

Our direct, face-to-face effort last month to request twice-a-day service resulted in less than once-a-day service! Two towel animals in a week, bed not made daily and we had to track down our steward to get dry towels - when he wasn't disregarding the red "Snoozing" door sign to ask silly questions! We were very clear that we leave around 7am and return around 9 pm. I've never encountered a room steward/crew as unwilling and unavailable as last month on the Dream. I did not have the heart to eliminate their tips. But they certainly didn't earn anything extra for superior (or any) service.

Sadly, the dining room teams were similarly ineffective.

I have done five cruises so far and a 6th is booked. So far, all have been Carnival because the price has been the best for the itineraries that I have wanted to do. I won't way that I haven't considered other lines, as I have, but I am happy staying with Carnival as long as they continue being the best moneywise for us.

I will say, one day I am going to save up and go to one of the Holland America cruises that goes to Antarctica! I will need some major vacation time banked and lots of $$$$ though!

I took my first cruise this year on Carnival. I absolutely loved it. Have my second coming up this week. There was tons to do, enjoyed the food, great price, just an overall great vacation. I definitely want to try RCI. The others, I don't think sound like they're for me.

So I guess this is more of a personal preference question. What have others done? The benefits of platinum look pretty cool. Do you care about your loyalty program? Is it more refreshing to try other lines? Any other thoughts?

Definitely try other lines and definitely try RCI, especially Oasis Class and/or their other newer ships.

NCL's newer ships are also a lot of fun.

If loyalty perks are important to you, now is the time to see what line you like best. Personally, I think RCI and Celebrity have the best perks at the higher levels.

Our direct, face-to-face effort last month to request twice-a-day service resulted in less than once-a-day service! Two towel animals in a week, bed not made daily and we had to track down our steward to get dry towels - when he wasn't disregarding the red "Snoozing" door sign to ask silly questions! We were very clear that we leave around 7am and return around 9 pm. I've never encountered a room steward/crew as unwilling and unavailable as last month on the Dream. I did not have the heart to eliminate their tips. But they certainly didn't earn anything extra for superior (or any) service.

Sadly, the dining room teams were similarly ineffective.

How horrible.

We’ve had a similar steward experience on Princess. We also left tips on, didn’t leave any extra and left a scathing note with GS and on the survey.

I would try RCI for at least one cruise and then decide which one you wish to stick to mostly. But I think that it is best to try different lines. I did my first two cruises on two different cruise lines, which I enjoyed very much, and then 8 on Carnival. Enjoyed all my Carnival cruises, but think that I should have ventured back to those two other lines. I stuck with Carnival mostly because of price because by then, I was cruising solo mostly.

The thing is for me. I dont think that Carnival 's repeat cruiser benefits are worth anything until you reach at least platinum which is 75 days at sea (i think). I get to cruise once a year at best, and since 2000, have only managed to get to 55 days at sea. Had I stuck with either of my first two cruise lines, I would be further ahead, repeat cruiser benefit wise. That said; I have enjoyed all my Carnival cruises, but given a choice to start over I would have gone back and forth, or even tried a new cruise line. This just my opinion from my perspective. I also dont trust Carnival not to change to their benefit system in a way that will benefit me. Will take me at least 3, 7 day cruises to reach platinum, and that could take 10 years for me.,and I am already and old(er) person. By then, they will want 100 days at sea to reach those same platinum benefits of today, and not sure I will still be here to enjoy whatever "benefits" will be then.

But since you are just starting out, suggest you try at least RCI which you are interested in, and then decide from there which one you want to go with, or like many, just enjoy both or more new lines, and forget about the "frequent cruiser" miles lol.

Wish I were young again, and just starting out, in the travel world.

Just have fun, enjoy your cruises. Forget about the repeat cruiser benefits. JMHO.

Edited by SMSACE6

I have sailed plenty of Carnival ships before I tried RCCL and NCL. And my preference is with both RCCL and NCL. My last was on NCL Getaway, and we fell in love with Freestyle Cruising. It fit us perfect! More casual, no formal nights (do no dragging all that extra clothing), fine when and where ever you want in MDRs more like individual restaurants, not big banquet halls. The 24 hour offerings were 100 times better than even RCCL! We have another on NCL Getaway this coming January.

I agree!!!!!! We have sailed many cruises on Carnival and Royal. Last year we took our first Norwegian cruise and fell in love! SO relaxing!!!!!! We came home and booked two more with NCL. We leave in 41 days and I'm SO ready!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I started cruising in 1980 on Sitmar. Over the years, I have sailed most of the mainstream cruiselines, with most on RCI in the 90's with my kids. Since 2003, I have sailed Carnival, most of those cruises were solo. I have recently booked several cruises with RCI, because I get double points as a solo cruiser, and for me, I think they have better perks. I have 175 days on Carnival since 2003 and still Platinum. I don't use the free laundry service, so that's a moot perk for me. I become Diamond on RCI in Dec., and this will get me free cocktails in the evening for 3 hours and some reduced internet fares. I will become Diamond Plus in Apr/2019. Drinks trump laundry..LOL

I am cruising now for itineraries, so I have pretty much done everything Carnival offered. if they offer a unique itinerary that I haven't done, I will sail with them again. I just needed a change of scenery.

I think if you are new to cruising, try different cruise lines and see what you like.

I was loyal to royal for many years. My then girlfriend (now wife) convinced me to try some other lines based on itineraries. We tried NCL and Carnival. I tell you what, the Carnival Breeze sold me. Now we look at the ship, itinerary and price and that's how we decide what line we travel. Too many good trips out there to be held down by one line.

Funny how I came across this thread today...to this point, I've only sailed Carnival. I like Carnival's product (I'm well into Gold territory...closer to Platinum than Red), and I'm going to give Royal a try in 2018. After going on Carnival a few times, I've wanted to try other lines for many years now, but generally the combination of home ports, sail dates, and price always favored Carnival (and usually considerably). However, that gap narrowed this year, and for the 2018 sailing I found, Royal just worked out better, and was actually significantly less expensive, yay for sales. So I'll give it a go, and see how things shake out.