Passengers killed in bus accident

Jdfireman

I know we have all have been on similar excursions. Do these buses have seat belts? I don't think I've ever worn one while on bus excursions from the cruise ships in the Caribbean. I can't remember if there were any.

Sincere condolences to Sam...have followed this story since yesterday and woke up to this news. So Sorry.

On a legal note this was a "ship sponsored" shore excursion but of course they subcontract with a land operator to take the passengers. Not being familiar with how they are run..are there staff of RCL on the bus? I sort of doubt there is. Do passengers sign a "release forum" before they go on the trip which would not hold RCL responsible for any accidents or in this case deaths? I am sure they check out the operators but wonder how much responsibility they take in a case like this.

Samfritz, I am so very sorry for such a tragic loss to your family. I don't know you but my heart aches for you and your loved ones. So difficult to deal with being so far away and so many questions and logistical issues to have to overcome. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. God Bless you.

Please know that your cruise critic family is with you and that if there is anything we can do to help you please let us know. Our hearts are aching for you and your loved ones.

Chery

Just heard from Celebrity that both my brother and his wife were killed in the accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so, so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling right now. My thoughts are with you and your family during this terribly difficult time.

Just heard from Celebrity that both my brother and his wife were killed in the accident.

Wow, reading this post just hit me like a ton of bricks. I can't begin to type out how badly I feel about this.

Sam, my heart is breaking for you and your family, and for all affected by this horrible tragedy. I'm sending you prayers for strength and healing in the coming days.

Words cannot express the sadness that I am feeling as I just read this news. Sending prayers to you and your family during this difficult time!!! Hugs and prayers to you!!!!

On a legal note this was a "ship sponsored" shore excursion but of course they subcontract with a land operator to take the passengers. Not being familiar with how they are run..are there staff of RCL on the bus? I sort of doubt there is. Do passengers sign a "release forum" before they go on the trip which would not hold RCL responsible for any accidents or in this case deaths? I am sure they check out the operators but wonder how much responsibility they take in a case like this.

No, RCL staff do not accompany excursions and there are no release forms I have ever signed to take an excursion, though the excursion ticket may have some sort of legal language on it.

No, RCL staff do not accompany excursions and there are no release forms I have ever signed to take an excursion, though the excursion ticket may have some sort of legal language on it.

Thanks I tried to remove my comments about the legal issues as it seems not right in this thread but not being good on editing I lost my opportunity. In reading clear the ship contract indicates they do their best to find the best operators in the area but assume NO liability for the shore excursions other than the ship will not leave without those on the ship sponsored excursions.

On Serenade now. Captain announced that one of the injured passengers from our ship passed away in the night. So sorry for their families loss...

Thank you for the update, I cannot imagine how everyone on board is coping with this tragedy :( Such heartbreaking news, my condolences to the victim's families and friends.

"Although it was initially mentioned that the crash of this unit, a Mercedes Benz with license plates 82RA7V, could have occurred due to the explosion of a tire, everything seems to indicate that the driver was distracted or fell asleep at the wheel."

Or was drinking...my husband who is Hispanic Just told me the few times we were in Mexico and on a bus he heard conversations on how the drivers did not make it home until 3 or 4 in the morning after drinking all night! I hope this was not the cause.

These were not cruise related tours ..but looks like it is an accepted practice. We were lucky, made it to our destination. We do not go to Mexico any more.

I noticed another smashed up car in the pictures too. But the reports keep stating no other vehicles were involved. My heart just breaks for everyone involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums