Reserving chairs / loungers beside the pool

Muffinz

I was reading another thread here and someone said they always bring large clips with them to clip their clothes / towel to the chairs / loungers by the pool so no-one takes them.

I thought the chairs / loungers would be on a first in first served basis - I didn't know you could actually put stuff on them to 'reserve' them

does anyone know if this is the case?

Chair hogging is a no, no. But that doesn't mean everyone using those large clips to secure their towels to the loungers are chair hogs. But some do. Sea days are the worst for the chair hogs to be up and out early to mark their territory and then leave. I walk the track every morning between 5:00 -5:30 AM and have seen the chair hogs at it that early in the morning. Do a search and you'll find multiple threads on chair hogs. Some cruisers a very creative.

Edited by davekathy

Any chair unoccupied for 30 minutes is a candidate to have their belonging removed by the Pool Butlers. If you see a lounger unoccupied for a long period of time & no others are available in the area just tell a Pool Butler and they will deal with the belonging.

Towel clips are nice to keep the towel from blowing but they don’t guarantee your belonging won’t be removed if you are chair hogging.

The clips are the newest way to reserve your chair. People will come down around sunrise and use those clips to claim their territory. For some, this has replaced magazines and books. Mainly a problem on sunny and warm sea days.

Why people think hogging chairs is acceptable beats me. I was left with a very bad feeling on a Carnival cruise when dozens of chairs were "reserved" day after day and the crew did nothing. I got sworn at by a woman when after waiting over 30 minutes , I removed the belongings and sat down. Use it or lose it!

I also like to walk at daybreak and see people (sometimes in their pajamas) leaving stuff on chairs by the pool. I have to admit... after my walk I've piled all of it up on ONE lounger and left. Maybe more than once.

I also like to walk at daybreak and see people (sometimes in their pajamas) leaving stuff on chairs by the pool. I have to admit... after my walk I've piled all of it up on ONE lounger and left. Maybe more than once.

That is so thoughtful and cute.

I believe cruise lines have policies against the practice of chair hogging. Whether or not staff enforce it is a different question. My wife has always brought clips when we cruise. Her purpose, though, is not to reserve a chair but to just secure our towels so they don't slide or blow about. So I guess if you see clips it could be that the pax is at the bar or actually in the pool. The odds may be against it but it's possible.....I guess.....

On our last cruise we witnessed a couple going absolutely ballistic at the guest services desk because a pool attendant had inadvertently discarded their clips when removing the towels from the chairs. The fuss they made was so over-the-top that we at first thought that some terrible atrocity had been committed (and to her credit, the staff member managed to keep a straight face...)

I think the clips are very handy if the passenger is using them to keep the towel in place while they’re in the pool, getting a drink from the bar or using the loo. But using them to reserve a chair for hours is not a good use for them, and I hope the pool attendant will unclip them and put them with the other belongings when necessary.

Becoming more popular are towels with the clips that have the word "reserved" in large letters on them. Saw them on three different cruises now.

And taking it even further, wonder if you could use those to score prime seating at the Martini Bar [emoji6][emoji483]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mentioned taking clips to hold towels on chairs in the "first time cruiser, what should I bring" thread. I meant the chairs on our balcony!! I said we liked to sit on the towels in case there was anything on the chairs....when we are in our clothes.

We use the clips on the balcony as well.

On CELebrity, there is no reserved poolside seating for suites.

The clips are useful when you are leaving your chair for a dip in the pool, or to use the restroom.

Otherwise, When not occupying the lounger, going to lunch, etc., it is only polite to take your possessions with you and make the chair available for others.

DW and I live in our deck chairs on sea days. I am normally up and in a lounger by 8 (with my trusty Kindle) and that is where we stay until late in the afternoon. For those who do not have much cruise/resort experience or understand about "chair hogs"......well it does get ugly :(. We recently returned from 21 days on the Reflection where we had perfect weather for nearly every day. By 9am, nearly every chair on the shady side (pool deck) was "reserved".... What happens is a single person (always seems to be a lady) will show-up around 8 (or earlier) and grab 4-8 loungers. They put on towels, towel clips, and usually leave a personal item on each lounger. On many days nobody ever used those loungers for the entire day...and that same woman would return around 4 and remove everything from their "reserved" chairs. It only takes a dozen such folks to create a chair shortage (in the best shade spots) and nobody on Celebrity does anything to help. Many others will "reserve" chairs early in the morning and not actually use those chairs to around lunch time.

We spoke to one of the so-called "pool butlers" and he explained that despite the 30 min rule, they were under pressure not to cause problems by removing things from any chair. We have been cruising since the mid-70s.....and this is the ways its been on every cruise or every cruise line (and we have been on more than a dozen cruise lines). There are easy solutions, but the cruise lines apparently prefer to look the other way and not get involved....until people start getting angry (we once saw a fist fight over 2 loungers).

One time (many cruises ago) DW and I came out on deck at 8:30 to find every shade chair "reserved". We sat at a nearby table and had breakfast and coffee and kept an eye on some chairs. Around 10am, when many chairs were still unused, we simply removed some towels and towel clips from two chairs (along with books from the library) and took them to a pool deck staffer and explained that somebody must have forgotten their stuff (the staffer said he would put the "stuff" into Lost and Found at Guest Relations). We then sat in those loungers. Around 2pm a couple showed-up and told us "these are our chairs." I just looked at them innocently and said, "we have been in these chairs for 4 hours and did not see your name on them." They then said they had left their stuff on those chairs and we suggested they go to "lost and found." When they again tried to demand "their chairs" we suggested they go find a senior officer and complain. We never saw them again :).

Hank

I do the same thing but I move the stuff to a different deck on the other side of the ship. It isn't stealing since I do not take anything although I have often been tempted to donate their books to the library book exchange but just relocating the stuff to a safer location. I consider that protecting their stuff.

DON