NCL cancelled my reservation!

Tittums

I'm a seasoned cruiser and have no problems booking my own trips over NCL's website. But I just had an experience that both shocked me and left me wondering how much NCL actually cares about its loyal customers and shareholders.

I made a reservation for a trip a few weeks out, but I didn't want to make the final payment until I could iron out a few details. NCL's website graciously stated that a reservation could be put on hold for that day. I filed the request and received a reservation number.

When I returned to my account about 12 hours later to make the full payment (still the same day), my reservation had been cancelled! Fine, I thought, I'll simply rebook it. Well, I then discovered that the ship was sold out.

I immediately called NCL, and I was told that there was nothing that could be done...no explanation...no meaningful apology...no offer to improve my $9000 suite experience already purchased for the future...no nothing.

Here's the text from the NCL website (note that my reservation was made more than 2 weeks ahead):

"We will hold your vacation selections so that you can return later to complete your reservation. This information will remain on hold until the end of the day, sooner if sailing within 12 days. To complete your reservation, visit the My NCL section of our website, select the reservation from your list of cruises and select "Make a Payment"."

Realizing that my fellow cruisers can do nothing to soothe my disappointment, I am curious, though, if others have had this experience. And, I'd definitely advise avoiding the use of NCL's hold "feature" (not) in the future!

you most likely place a cruise on a "courtesy hold". this holds your reservation only for 24-48 hours. If a full deposit is not received within that time period, your reservation will be canceled. You will need to make a payment/place a deposit within that time frame.

NCL needs a full deposit for bookings

Always check the time that they say they will hold it until. If it was last minute (and I don't know if it was) and they are trying to fill the last cabins it will be held less than 12 to 24 hours. I just did this with a cabin and it was held three hours. Enough time to do what I need to do so it was fine.

you most likely place a cruise on a "courtesy hold". this holds your reservation only for 24-48 hours. If a full deposit is not received within that time period, your reservation will be canceled. You will need to make a payment/place a deposit within that time frame.

NCL needs a full deposit for bookings

If I understood the OP post...it sounded as if she went back only 12 hours later.... I agree this was not handled properly. Especially since the OP received a reservation number. Sounds like a system glitch or 2 people on the site booking the same room at the same time but 2nd party paid for cabin/suite at that time

From my recent experience on holding a cabin that is inside the 90 day final payment, I was only given a 2 hour allowable hold before the reservation was to be released. After an hour of DD, I went ahead with the full payment. This was just 2 days ago.

The message from NCL said "We will hold your vacation selections so that you can return later to complete your reservation. This information will remain on hold until the end of the day, sooner if sailing within 12 days. To complete your reservation, visit the My NCL section of our website, select the reservation from your list of cruises and select "Make a Payment"."

So what do they mean by “sooner if you sail within 12 days”? Does this mean 2 hours...3 hours, I think for a better customer experience they should tell you just like Ticketmaster!

The key to the cancellation is when “the end of the day” stipulation kicked in.

Holding a pricey suite on a evidently nearly sold out cruise even for half a day could backfire for the cruiseline. They apparently hedged their bets and won as they sold that suite the OP wanted to keep in limbo as a “valued repeat customer”.

Lesson learned... don’t expect a company to risk their own bottom line while you try to protect yours (no matter how important you think you are to that company).

OP here.

Either numerous responders did not read fully or I didn't express myself clearly.

-I made my reservation more than 16 days prior to sailing (more than the 12 mentioned in the policy).

-NCL said that they would hold my reservation until the end of the day.

-I returned in about 12 hours on the same day.

-Reservation was completely gone, though retrievable when given the number. Even the NCL rep couldn't figure out what happened to it (and didn't seem to care, either...just wanted to pass me off to a sales rep to book some other random trip without my friends).

Still scratching my head and now trying to figure out where to turn my loyalty. The lack of customer support/service was astounding. It tells me what platinum status is really worth to NCL.

I'm a seasoned cruiser and have no problems booking my own trips over NCL's website. But I just had an experience that both shocked me and left me wondering how much NCL actually cares about its loyal customers and shareholders.

I made a reservation for a trip a few weeks out, but I didn't want to make the final payment until I could iron out a few details. NCL's website graciously stated that a reservation could be put on hold for that day. I filed the request and received a reservation number.

When I returned to my account about 12 hours later to make the full payment (still the same day), my reservation had been cancelled! Fine, I thought, I'll simply rebook it. Well, I then discovered that the ship was sold out.

I immediately called NCL, and I was told that there was nothing that could be done...no explanation...no meaningful apology...no offer to improve my $9000 suite experience already purchased for the future...no nothing.

Here's the text from the NCL website (note that my reservation was made more than 2 weeks ahead):

"We will hold your vacation selections so that you can return later to complete your reservation. This information will remain on hold until the end of the day, sooner if sailing within 12 days. To complete your reservation, visit the My NCL section of our website, select the reservation from your list of cruises and select "Make a Payment"."

Realizing that my fellow cruisers can do nothing to soothe my disappointment, I am curious, though, if others have had this experience. And, I'd definitely advise avoiding the use of NCL's hold "feature" (not) in the future!

You say you are a seasoned cruiser but only have 2 posts in 4 to 5 years on CC.

Being a seasoned cruiser, you must know that the cruise line will sell the cabin to a sure thing when it can and not hold for a 'maybe' come back and book the cabin.

As another poster mentioned ... it could have been 2 people at the same time getting that 1 last cabin ... and the other party paid immediately.

Have you ever bid on an online auction and saw people in nano seconds up bid you? It could be something like that with your 'hold' reservation.

My parents are most definitely "seasoned" cruisers. I believe they're Elite members on Princess (the highest level) and various levels on other lines. They've never heard of CC and they most certainly don't know all the policy quirks with Princess. I probably know tons more due to CC, and I'm only Ruby on Princess. If OP hasn't hung out a ton on CC, then it's perfectly understandable they wouldn't know all the ins and outs.

The issue you have come across is the only thing that keeps me from making a last minute cruise. I know some people get amazing room deals but for me I like making a choice ahead of time without feeling pressure of "Right NOW" and knowing I am getting the room I want. I've had great experiences with NCL but I also try to plan a year ahead. When I try and take the chance of a last minute cruise, Which we have talked about trying, I hope I don't come across this problem.

My parents are most definitely "seasoned" cruisers. I believe they're Elite members on Princess (the highest level) and various levels on other lines. They've never heard of CC and they most certainly don't know all the policy quirks with Princess. I probably know tons more due to CC, and I'm only Ruby on Princess. If OP hasn't hung out a ton on CC, then it's perfectly understandable they wouldn't know all the ins and outs.

My point is the OP states he/she IS a seasoned cruiser. Many times, an OP with only 2 posts in 4 - 5 years of membership are only using CC to complain and bad mouth a cruise line. They usually don't return to the post.

OP here.

Either numerous responders did not read fully or I didn't express myself clearly.

-I made my reservation more than 16 days prior to sailing (more than the 12 mentioned in the policy).

-Reservation was completely gone, though retrievable when given the number. Even the NCL rep couldn't figure out what happened to it (and didn't seem to care, either...just wanted to pass me off to a sales rep to book some other random trip without my friends).

Still scratching my head and now trying to figure out where to turn my loyalty. The lack of customer support/service was astounding. It tells me what platinum status is really worth to NCL.

With NCL committing to a hold for that day, the same day policy should have been honored.

Just booked myself 2 days ago with 80 days prior to sailing but inside final payment. Interesting to me was that the same message appeared when processing a hold, "until the days end". However also a time stamp appeared that translated the hold would only be good for approximately 2 more hours and I was only booking a Balcony and not a Suite as you.

Confusing for sure with NCL saying two different hold expirations with the same booking.

So maybe i can help a bit. I often put holds on cabins and often book last minute and up until around Jan 1 you used to have a hold for the rest of the day. Since then it is only 2 hours for cruises that are in the near future. I hate that they did that. But they should change that message because it surely is no longer correct.So unless you looked for it you likely didn't notice the time stated two hour hold and that is why the cabin was gone. I found out the hard way also.

Unfortunately, all the while they are selling out ships (especially to New, less savvy customers), your platinum status is really worth nothing to NCL.

I doubt you will find it much different elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So maybe i can help a bit. I often put holds on cabins and often book last minute and up until around Jan 1 you used to have a hold for the rest of the day. Since then it is only 2 hours for cruises that are in the near future. I hate that they did that. But they should change that message because it surely is no longer correct.So unless you looked for it you likely didn't notice the time stated two hour hold and that is why the cabin was gone. I found out the hard way also.

Has this 2 hour message been discussed since January 1?

Appears near future booking or aka inside 90 day final payment are now given 2 hours to pay or loose held booking.

This is also what I saw Monday when booking a recent cruise inside the 90 day final payment.

All I can say is: I feel for you and yes, NCL should change their message because of the recent changes, but that being said: I am surprised the message didn't give an actual time when payment was due: like will hold until 7pm EST. the end of the day could mean anything. Yes, if the ship was almost sold out or 2 agents were booking at the same time it is easy to understand the error. This might be a good lesson for all: it you want to be assured things go right, and want to book yourself without using a TA, at least call the company instead of depending on the net.

I'm a seasoned cruiser and have no problems booking my own trips over NCL's website.

Needless to say, if that statement were true, this entire thread would not exist. As things sit, it appears that the OP does have a "booking your own trips" problem.

There are a number of features that are not available to a person booking on their own (for example, the ability to combine discount programs). These same features are available to PCCs and to Travel Agents...two groups of people who will take care of your booking AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO YOU. One thing for certain: you may be able to book the same deal on your own, but you will NEVER be able to book a better deal on your own than you could get through a PCC or Travel Agent.

So why not use their services?

Had the OP done this...instead of trying self booking, instead of calling random reps on the 800 number...they would have their booking without any issues.

It tells me what platinum status is really worth to NCL.

I understand the point, but this is to be expected when the customer demands changes.

Not too long ago "Platinum" was Top Dog in the loyalty program. Having this status meant something. Platinum members were so thrilled that they did everything possible to convince NCL that they needed to add new levels to the program so they could "have something to aspire to" (I guess the cruising experience wasn't enough :rolleyes:).

So....NCL listened. Now Top Dog belongs to "Ambassador", the second tier is the realm of "Platium Plus". And all of those "Platinum" members are now third tier (but at least they have something to aspire to),

What we need to realize is that NCL did NOT cancel the OP's reservation, they canceled a courtesy hold that no deposit had been paid on for a cruise that was set to sail in 16 days. Why on earth you would put a hold on something sailing in 15 days is beyond belief. If you still have things to work out and the cruise is that close, you need to work them out before you try to book.

What we need to realize is that NCL did NOT cancel the OP's reservation, they canceled a courtesy hold that no deposit had been paid on for a cruise that was set to sail in 16 days.
A deposit is not enough to secure a last-minute booking. Since you're after final payment, you have to pay in full right away. That's why asking for a courtesy hold is a totally legitimate thing to do when making a last-minute booking. In fact I would say it is absolutely essential, so you can look over the booking details on the hold confirmation they send you and catch any errors before pulling the trigger.

In my experience, the expiration time for the courtesy hold is clearly indicated in the e-mail from NCL and in the CONFIRMATION_HOLD.pdf document. If the OP called back before this time and the hold was already gone, they have a valid complaint (but I don't think this is what happened). If the confirmation said 2 hours, the OP has to take some responsibility for overlooking that, even if the webpage led them to believe they were good until the end of the day. In either case, if the ship is now sold out, all they can do is hope for something to open up.

OP: in the world of travel, "reservation" (or "hold" or "???") has little to do with "ticketed."

Try it with a mock airline booking. Often you could go all the way to the payment page (having selected seats and all) only to get an error message "unable to complete" sending you back to the start. "Lo and behold," fare is now higher, premium seat option is higher or seats gone, etc.

Blame it on whatever (sold out, cookies, etc). But, at the bottom line: "money talks!"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums