Should RCI follow Delta Airlines rules on service animals?

I have been on flights where they announce that someone on board has a peanut allergy so they don't serve peanuts on that flight. They also ask others not to eat peanuts that they brought on with them. However if someone is allergic to dogs, to bad for you.

I understand there is a need, in some cases, for emotional support animals. I support that. However, the number of people abusing this are making it harder for those with a legitimate need to travel with their needed pets. Kudos to Delta for the effort in trying to curb the abuse.

I have been on flights where they announce that someone on board has a peanut allergy so they don't serve peanuts on that flight. They also ask others not to eat peanuts that they brought on with them. However if someone is allergic to dogs, to bad for you.

Is there a dog allergy that is deadly?

I know my brother almost died from peanuts being cooked in elementary school.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We need a few brave companies to step up and lay down rules.

This actually helps legitimate people with disabilities who need assistance. Bad eggs are ruining this and it is shameful.

It may also help physicians too. I am very tired of people coming into the office asking how to get their (insert the animal of your choice here) designated as an emotional support animal. I love my dog but I feel zero guilt for leaving her home for the week that we cruise. She survives it and I most certainly do too.

As far as we are concerned, other than for the blind, all dogs should be banned everywhere and go back to the days when that happened. To us the most disgusting examples of abuse is the placement of dogs in the upper part of the shopping carts.

Then you have about zero understanding about what service dogs can be trained to do including sensing hypoglycemia in diabetics and the prodrome of an oncoming seizure in epileptics.

I would just be happy if Royal Caribbean would not allow passengers to feed their "service" animal in the main dining room. We saw this on a Celebrity cruise. The "service" dog was pushed into the dining room in a baby stroller and sat at the table, eating off a plate. Did not make for a very appetizing breakfast.

I would just be happy if Royal Caribbean would not allow passengers to feed their "service" animal in the main dining room. We saw this on a Celebrity cruise. The "service" dog was pushed into the dining room in a baby stroller and sat at the table, eating off a plate. Did not make for a very appetizing breakfast.

An entirely new spin on #hairylegsatdinnerputmeoffthefeed

A year or so ago. We were on a RCI cruise and a blind person had a seeing eye dog with him in the dining room. This was a genuine service dog. Another cruiser walks in with a "service" dog. It promptly attacked the seeing eye dog.

The owner of the other dog was obviously lying about the dog being a "service" dog. Real service dogs are all trained to be non aggressive.

It's to easy to buy what you need to call it a service dog on Ebay. Royal should check each one and if they find it bogus put them and their owners off the ship.

As far as we are concerned, other than for the blind, all dogs should be banned everywhere and go back to the days when that happened. To us the most disgusting examples of abuse is the placement of dogs in the upper part of the shopping carts.

I think children should be banned from everywhere... they are germ ridden, and have far worse behavior than most dogs.

Turkeys, ducks, snakes-OMG. What will it be next rats or some other.

I sort of thought that Daniel was a really cute duck though::D http://people.com/pets/emotional-support-duck-boards-plane-with-owner-delights-everyone/

Ducks sometimes do have a nice quiet quack. I'm not saying that people should bring them onboard. There could, of course, be altercations between emotional support dogs and emotional support ducks. :D

Turkeys, ducks, snakes-OMG. What will it be next rats or some other.

On an American Airline flight last year, there was a couple that had a monkey they brought aboard the airplane. They claimed it was a service animal. This was a new one for us.5b8e79565f93db208f847f0332448550.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fallicy in the article - blood sugar alert dogs are trained service animals, not comfort animals. As for other service dogs, they are working not eating or wandering around in public spaces. Often takes years of waiting and plenty of money to obtain a trained dog which may be lifesaving to people with Type 1 diabetes.

Or Seizure Alert dogs. These dogs are lifesavers for their owners. And PTSD service dogs for our veterans - they are true service animals.

Edited by sailinglisa

I’m sure the ADA will have something to say about this new policy.

And you know what, I don’t mind people getting around the system when it comes to the airlines. US airlines have screwed over the public so hard and for so long I’m for anything that screws them right back.

Well, since Delta's new restrictions only apply to Emotional Support Animals (ESA), and ESA's are not protected under the ADA, you're not likely to get your wish.

And you know what, I don’t mind people getting around the system when it comes to the airlines. US airlines have screwed over the public so hard and for so long I’m for anything that screws them right back.

There was a lapdog on one of our recent flights that yipped the entire 3 hour flight. The only saving grace was my head phones. How is that screwing over the airline?

There was a lapdog on one of our recent flights that yipped the entire 3 hour flight. The only saving grace was my head phones. How is that screwing over the airline?

Technically, a dog that small is allowed in the cabin, since they can fit in an under seat dog carrier. It's the larger dogs that need special access in the cabin.

We did some research on the dog size allowed when we almost needed to evacuate a dog from one of the islands.

Are owners of service animals of either type required to have some type of liability insurance against the animal causing harm to someone (or even another service animal) or destruction of property?

There is no federal requirement, that I know of, for service animal liability insurance. States may require it, but only if it applies to all dogs allowed in public places. In other words, service dogs (and I don't know if ESA's have the same protection) cannot be singled out for any additional insurance requirement. So, if your state does not require a specific animal liability insurance to walk your dog on the street, then they cannot require a service animal to have such insurance. Whether someone's homeowner's policy covers animal liability is a different question.

I have seen this on Royal Caribbean as well as another line. The "service" animal was supposedly for the husband's diabetes, but was never with the husband. The wife had the dog in a stroller, dressed in clothes and sun glasses along with a hat. The dog sat at the table (a 10 top) and ate from here plate, her fork and then the wife ate from the plate and same fork. When some of her table mates complained, they were ridiculed as it was posted on another site. This was on the other line, not Royal Caribbean.

I did see this once on a cruise on Freedom as I was walking to my table for dinner. I think Florida has a lot of people who have purchased the certificates online that state the animal is a support or service animal. I believe it is now illegal to do so, but as I no longer live in FL, I am not sure.

There is no federal requirement, that I know of, for service animal liability insurance. States may require it, but only if it applies to all dogs allowed in public places. In other words, service dogs (and I don't know if ESA's have the same protection) cannot be singled out for any additional insurance requirement. So, if your state does not require a specific animal liability insurance to walk your dog on the street, then they cannot require a service animal to have such insurance. Whether someone's homeowner's policy covers animal liability is a different question.

Would it be legal to require liability insurance for ALL dogs that travel commercially? Maybe word the policy for ALL dogs, but clearly since only service animals are allowed on board, it would affect them. It would be perhaps deter the internet fakes from abusing if they had to pay a little money. Case in point would be the dogs staying with the owner to avoid paying the kennel fee.

Would it be legal to require liability insurance for ALL dogs that travel commercially? Maybe word the policy for ALL dogs, but clearly since only service animals are allowed on board, it would affect them. It would be perhaps deter the internet fakes from abusing if they had to pay a little money. Case in point would be the dogs staying with the owner to avoid paying the kennel fee.

Well, you get into a whole can of worms. Cruise ships are governed by the ADA, and airlines are covered by the ACAA. The big difference is that the ACAA allows ESA's in the cabin, while the ADA does not recognize the ESA. Also, airlines have allowed even pets to be in cabin, if they are in carriers. The airlines put this restriction on from a safety standpoint, so the animal does not block egress. So, it would have to be a federal law (actually two, and I don't know how service animals are covered on buses and trains, but I suspect it is the ADA) to be changed. But, then, Fluffy's "mommy" would say that the law requires insurance for all dogs to travel, so my dog should be allowed, even if its just a pet, and you've started another litigation nightmare. And the service dog owners would see through the little deception in a heart beat and challenge it in court. The airlines and cruise lines would be sued from both sides.

Exactly. What do you do if you are allergic? Especially highly allergic. My eyes will tear. My skin will itch. But what about those whose throat can close. I could not sit next to a dog for hours. They have to see both sides of the fence.