Should RCI follow Delta Airlines rules on service animals?

We need a few brave companies to step up and lay down rules.

This actually helps legitimate people with disabilities who need assistance. Bad eggs are ruining this and it is shameful.

Couldn't have said it better although I would like to see cruiselines get even tougher...thanks !!!!

Fallicy in the article - blood sugar alert dogs are trained service animals, not comfort animals. As for other service dogs, they are working not eating or wandering around in public spaces. Often takes years of waiting and plenty of money to obtain a trained dog which may be lifesaving to people with Type 1 diabetes.

Glad Delta initiated these rules and hopefully other companies will follow their lead. Those people who legitimately require the assistance of a service or comfort animal should have no difficulty obtaining the required documentation. Should eliminate most false claims of people who just want to bring their untrained animals with them when they travel.

At least Delta is addressing the problem. Hopefully other airlines and cruise lines will follow. It is a good first step in controlling the ever growing animal population on planes.

On a recent flight, I had to sit next to a dog(definitely not a service dog). 8 hours of him wining and taking over some of my space was not right. There were no empty seats on the plane for me to move to. The flight attendants said there was nothing they could do about it.

At least Delta is addressing the problem. Hopefully other airlines and cruise lines will follow. It is a good first step in controlling the ever growing animal population on planes.

On a recent flight, I had to sit next to a dog(definitely not a service dog). 8 hours of him wining and taking over some of my space was not right. There were no empty seats on the plane for me to move to. The flight attendants said there was nothing they could do about it.

On June 5 2017 a support dog on a

Delta flight from Atlanta to San Diego bit the face of the passenger sitting next to him. This support dog was sitting on his owners lap. If you check this on the web, you will see the pics of the poor passengers face. They report the weight of the dog at 30 to 50 lbs. The time for change is now.

Now, the thread title is somewhat misleading. The measures Delta is taking is in regard to "emotional support animals" (ESA), not service animals. There are no added restrictions on service animals. The incidents mentioned in previous posts were done by either pets or ESA's, not service animals.

Now, Delta has to take control of ESA's, because under the Air Carrier Access Act, they have to allow ESA's in the airplane cabin. Cruise ships, which are not covered by the Air Carrier Act, and only partially by the ADA, do not have to allow ESA's onboard at all.

Now, the thread title is somewhat misleading. The measures Delta is taking is in regard to "emotional support animals" (ESA), not service animals. There are no added restrictions on service animals. The incidents mentioned in previous posts were done by either pets or ESA's, not service animals.

Now, Delta has to take control of ESA's, because under the Air Carrier Access Act, they have to allow ESA's in the airplane cabin. Cruise ships, which are not covered by the Air Carrier Act, and only partially by the ADA, do not have to allow ESA's onboard at all.

Yet there continue to be incidents reported of animals being taken on planes, trains, and ships that end up with someone injured. In the real world, all these modes of transportation need to address the responsibility and liability they have for passengers. It doesn't take a law to exercise and enforce common sense.

Please note that we are pet owners for many years, yet realize this is a problem. I have also personally seen abuse of the previous-lax practices for allowing animals on flights. Yet we manage to have our eyes and minds open.

As far as we are concerned, other than for the blind, all dogs should be banned everywhere and go back to the days when that happened. To us the most disgusting examples of abuse is the placement of dogs in the upper part of the shopping carts.

Actually, Delta is simply doing what Royal does in regards to bringing service dogs aboard. Nothing more and nothing less. I don't see much abuse, more mass hysteria over a "problem" that does not recall exist; but now has moved toward "urban legend status".

As far as we are concerned, other than for the blind, all dogs should be banned everywhere and go back to the days when that happened. To us the most disgusting examples of abuse is the placement of dogs in the upper part of the shopping carts.

Though lot of abuse in this dog situation there is other physical limitations, Deaf, Diabetic, then just for Blind that animals are needed and shouldn't be limited to as you suggest.

There are MANY service animals besides dogs for the blind that are legit. Diabetes, seizures, food allergies are just a few. I agree there is a lot of abuse from the ESA issue, but again a lot of these are legit - especially those helping our veterans deal with PTSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums