What did you learn from your first time cruising?

ilikeanswers

Whenever we do something for the first time we have an idea of what we think the experience will be like but usually reality is different. Sometimes it is better:D sometimes it is worst:eek:

When you completed your first cruise what expectations or misconceptions did you find needed readjustment in one way or another? What did you learn about cruising that could only come from experience:confused:?

We learned to treasure every moment and plan for the next cruise as soon as possible. My wife learned that cruising is very relaxing, enjoyable, and not as scary as she thought it might be! The big plus for her was all the incredible photo opportunities a cruise offers. Before our first cruise was over, she was already talking about booking another cruise.

1. Don't feel like you have to participate in every activity on the schedule - otherwise, you will need a vacation after the cruise!

2. If you can, use the stairs rather than the elevator - your waistline will thank you.

- Your on board bill will be bigger than you thought.

- Cruise ship excursions are not better than independent ones.

- Traditional dining at a large table is a crapshoot when it comes to tablemates.

Took way too many clothes.

Ditto! Thank goodness when we went on our first cruise many years ago, the airlines weren't charging $25.00 (or more) per bag. We probably could've stayed on the ship for two weeks without running out of clean clothes.

Remember you are on holiday.

Footwear don't go mad. Comfy for port calls. Sandals and a pair of heels.( yes I know all out the window when I pack for July)!

Clothes.....let's not go there again same as above.

Be a local.....go it alone on days ashore you will appreciate it.

It's inexpensive and relaxing but will never replace longer land vacations.

We must bring our own reading material.

We can pack using a carry-on and a backpack only.

We don't need a balcony, drink package, specialty dining, spa services, bingo, etc.

We will always use the stairs and eat sensibly and healthfully.

We prefer a 2 -top to big tables in the dining room. Also, My Time Dining is our thing while formal night is not.

Unlike most, we did not fall in love with cruising on our first cruise. It was 6 years until we cruised again. It was the second one that made us fall in love with cruising.

I guess we learned on our first to try a different cruise line.

I was expecting a bottom of the barrel vacation. Complete with drunkards, dirty, poor food, and probably some sicknesses. Boy does Carnival get a bad rap for no reason.

I also learned that two things I thought I absolutely needed: balcony and drink package, aren't necessary. I did not buy the drink package, and did not miss it. I bought the balcony. While it was nice, it wasn't worth the money. That money was better spent toward MORE CRUISES BECAUSE I LOVE IT!

I was expecting a bottom of the barrel vacation. Complete with drunkards, dirty, poor food, and probably some sicknesses. Boy does Carnival get a bad rap for no reason.

I also learned that two things I thought I absolutely needed: balcony and drink package, aren't necessary. I did not buy the drink package, and did not miss it. I bought the balcony. While it was nice, it wasn't worth the money. That money was better spent toward MORE CRUISES BECAUSE I LOVE IT!

I don't know when you're first cruise was AND Carnival must have come a long way. My 2nd Cruise was 1985 (I think) and there were 27 of us in the group. On the last night of the cruise, we ALL pulled the sheets off our beds and put on Togas and partied and caused such a ruckus on one of the pool decks ... the Captain himself came out and kicked us all off deck and to our cabins. LOL ....

We dressed in our clothes and went to the bars after that. That was my 2nd Carnival cruise and my last. I still have the mindset that it's a booze/party cruise line. I am sure I am wrong ... seeing it's been over 30 years.

I will admit that some of my pre-conceived conceptions from my first cruise was from the TV series Love Boat. I did try and do some research beforehand, but remember, this was 2002 (cruise departed in January, 2003). I don't think Carnival offered to pre-book your excursions on their website just yet (they did for the January, 2005 cruise), or if they did, I didn't know. I also didn't do enough research beforehand. My excuse... college came FIRST. One thing I do know is that there was no such thing as WiFi or cell phone coverage on the ship.

It took a while for me to convince my DH to take a cruise and get off all those buses, trains, planes, etc., touring for 3 weeks and living out of 1 suitcase each.

But after our first cruise -- 14 days (back-to-back) he was hooked on cruising and couldn't wait till we got home to book another one. Back in the 80's we had to research everything on our own -- no Internet or sites like this to ask for suggestions as to what to do in the various ports.

Unlike most, we did not fall in love with cruising on our first cruise. It was 6 years until we cruised again. It was the second one that made us fall in love with cruising.

I guess we learned on our first to try a different cruise line.

Same here. We never went back to our first cruise line and will go back to our second one only next year. In between we 'tested' about 10 other lines for their itineraries and we did land trips. They were the best.

My first was a different story , it was pretty elegant , no specialty restaurant , no bill surprises , since you paid cash , good food and service , and. Have cruised every year since , I was in my 20’s and single and in 1977

That you go back to the USA every night (figuratively) at least on American owned cruise ships. That may be comforting to many but until we are much older and a bit disabled it is not for us.

The "mother ship" you return has its benefits in remote places that lack infrastructure but in many other places it denies a more enriching and rewarding travel experience. Some less adventuresome travellers however prefer the security provided by the ship.

For this reason mass market cruising is not my preferred vacation or travel mode. Cruising is a means to an end not an end in and of itself. It has a place in my travel plans but only when it make sense and if it allows me to visit places that would otherwise be impractical due to remoteness or lack of infrastructure.

Everyone in my family knows I don't like boats, so they were all surprised when I agreed (with much trepidation) to go on a Cruise. What I discovered was that while I still don't like boats, I like SHIPS just fine. Giant floating resort? No problem!

We also learned on that first cruise to stop buying drinks in souvenir glasses. No room in the suitcase to bring them all home.