Beware of sales pitches on Celebrity ships

Toots

We have taken many cruises on different lines and around ten on Celebrity ships. On our last cruise, a transatlantic with seven days at sea, there were many informational seminars scheduled: skin care, pain management, healthy eating, foot care, taking care of your back and spine, etc. I attended some of these, and each one did some heavy selling of products or scheduling spa time. The prices were ridiculous! I admit I spent $500 for two acupuncture sessions to help my aching shoulder and they pushed me to sign up for five treatments for over $1,000, which I did not do. The acupuncturist assured me that Medicare would pay for acupuncture treatments which turned out not to be true. Some people signed up for thousands of dollars of health foods, to be delivered to their homes over a period of months. They have a captive audience on a ship and those sales pitches are very convincing. So just be aware.

There are two revenue models in cruising. Luxury lines take your money up front -- you pay a lot more for (often) a much smaller cabin but once you board they don't constantly try to separate you from your money. We did Crystal a few years ago and there was zero pressure to spend money on anything. Extras (like spa services and shore excursions) were certainly available but not advertised heavily, "pushed," etc. I didn't pull out my cruise card until the very last day when I made a gift shop purchase.

Mainstream lines (such as Celebrity) do the opposite. The cabin is relatively cheap (compared to lines such as Regent, Silversea, etc.), but from the minute you board, there is constant, unrelenting pressure to spend, spend, spend. It's not going to change b/c that's how they make their money.

Ignore it, just say no or pay more for a line where this type of activity doesn't occur.

We had acupuncture on a ship and it was not where nearly as expensive as the OP posted. I get it at home for my back for $40 per. Never take the word of a provider that "fill in the blank" insurance will pay for it. KNOW BEFORE YOUR GO, is my moto.

I also get massages and facials at home for less then on a ship but might splurge if I have OBC. Same with bottles of wine.

IMHO if you go to the Botox. Acupuncture, foot mapping, make your skin look 15 years younger, etc sessions you are making yourself a target for a high pressure sales pitch.

If acupuncture works for you or Botox that’s great but don’t attend the “activities” that are clearly sales pitches and expect not to get a sales pitch,

There are two revenue models in cruising. Luxury lines take your money up front -- you pay a lot more for (often) a much smaller cabin but once you board they don't constantly try to separate you from your money. We did Crystal a few years ago and there was zero pressure to spend money on anything. Extras (like spa services and shore excursions) were certainly available but not advertised heavily, "pushed," etc. I didn't pull out my cruise card until the very last day when I made a gift shop purchase.

Mainstream lines (such as Celebrity) do the opposite. The cabin is relatively cheap (compared to lines such as Regent, Silversea, etc.), but from the minute you board, there is constant, unrelenting pressure to spend, spend, spend. It's not going to change b/c that's how they make their money.

Ignore it, just say no or pay more for a line where this type of activity doesn't occur.

We've taken two caribbean Celebrity cruises in the past 6 months (Eclipse & Equinox). Booked on Reflection for November.

Frankly I do not feel "pressure" to spend. I read the daily listing of activities and have no interest in the spa related sessions, teeth whitening, health improvements, etc. etc. We love trivia and enjoy chatting with other pax we meet on board. Don't usually get off in the caribbean as we've been to those ports more than once. I don't feel we are "pushed" to spend anything. It's easy to just say "no thanks." We do indulge in the specialty restaurants a few nights which we book prior to boarding. Usually walk through the shops once just to look, but unless it's a small toilet article we've forgotten, we don't buy anything. All of the cruise lines we've been on have the "selling" activities, but you can partake or not. No one chases us down!

I've heard some pax occasionally complain about the hard sell, but in all honesty we haven't found it to be a problem in over 40 cruises (Princess, Royal Carib & Celebrity primarily).

Just thought I'd share........

After a few Cruises people should know that seminar means informerical and the Shopping Expert port guide means places to shop at where they and the cruise lines are being compensated for their recommendation. Doesn’t mean that you will receive or get the best prices.

We found that the best way to enjoy a cruise and not be bombarded with their sales pitch is not to attend any of the seminars and don’t fill out any raffle tickets. As rookies we were guilty of falling for all of that stuff and suckered into some. The reason that they can do what they do is because people are always looking for that fantastic bargain or a fast easy way magic feather for better health. Scammers know this and cruise passengers are easy prey.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

yes - we were almost sucked in when on our Solstice Cruise March / April.... we went to a 'seminar' about how to improve your posture... everything was going well until the man pulled out these 'orthotics' you put in your shoes and said they are $300 US a pair!!!!

needless to say we left pretty quickly....

Original Medicare does NOT pay for acupuncture treatments. While the prices they are quoting are way more than you would pay on land in the US, I know for a fact that Original Medicare does not pay for acupuncture. With that being said, some Medicare Advantage plans may cover acupuncture as a value added service.

We have taken many cruises on different lines and around ten on Celebrity ships. On our last cruise, a transatlantic with seven days at sea, there were many informational seminars scheduled: skin care, pain management, healthy eating, foot care, taking care of your back and spine, etc. I attended some of these, and each one did some heavy selling of products or scheduling spa time. The prices were ridiculous! I admit I spent $500 for two acupuncture sessions to help my aching shoulder and they pushed me to sign up for five treatments for over $1,000, which I did not do. The acupuncturist assured me that Medicare would pay for acupuncture treatments which turned out not to be true. Some people signed up for thousands of dollars of health foods, to be delivered to their homes over a period of months. They have a captive audience on a ship and those sales pitches are very convincing. So just be aware.

I used to love to get a massage while on a cruise but the last time, it was nothing but a very annoying sales pitch throughout the entire massage. I finally asked the masseuse to be quiet during my massage and would be happy to listen to her sales pitch afterwards....just not during my treatment.

Oh, she wanted to sell me something to improve my overall health and even my appearance. I explained the product she was trying to sell to me was more than the entire cruise for two of us and I am simply not interested. Some are aggressive in their sales pitch, some, not so much. I now just usually get a massage before a cruise or sometimes, when we are in one of our ports of call and I save myself from all the hard sell tactics.

yes - we were almost sucked in when on our Solstice Cruise March / April.... we went to a 'seminar' about how to improve your posture... everything was going well until the man pulled out these 'orthotics' you put in your shoes and said they are $300 US a pair!!!!

needless to say we left pretty quickly....

We went to a "purported" health seminar in the gym area in hopes the info would help a relative who is a cancer survivor.

Turns out towards the end, the lecturer started hawking long term subscriptions for algae supplements at a hefty price. As folks lost interest and started to leave, the lecturer turned very rude and angry as if we owed her something for her enlightenment

We would never sign up for anything like this again. Very unscrupulous. They should disclose that these so called free health lectures are actually sales talks.

I always presume these are sales pitches, from art to health to destination seminars....

I do not mind attending for the first 80% of the seminar, then leave towards the end..

bon voyage

If no one bought any of these products being offered, then they would no longer be offered.

I know not to attend such infomercial sessions and have no problem saying no to any sales offers when I happen to walk past the shops.

I am in fact pleased that my mainline cruise is always partially subsidized by those that do make such purchases.

I've never feel pressure to buy anything. I mean they do hawk drink packages, watches, specialty restaurants, etc. But I just say no and walk on. Not too tough.

We did attend one or two health seminars and like others have said, we just leave at the end. Don't buy anything.

I also don't get massages or other treatments on a cruise. Besides being way over priced I don't want to hear the sales pitch the whole time. I love massages but will get one on the beach if needed.

Just be aware, they are not unlike most mainstream cruise lines.

We don't attend any 'seminars' on the ships. It's obvious that they are sales pitches. We avoid the spa, too, unless I want an overpriced mani/pedi.

My son goes to an acupuncturist for some of his Parkinson's symptoms. It's greatly reduced his sweating and dystonia, plus he says he feels better, in general, after treatments. The sessions are $80 each for an acupuncturist that was recommended by his neurologist.

Should point out that this goes on with most of the Cruiselines. Also, I'm not sure of the exact details but most of the services you mentioned are provided by contract companies and Celebrity doesn't actually get money from the sales.

Also, Medicare does not pay out of country. Some Medicare advantage plans do but plain Medicare does not and unless she told you it did that is a very misleading statement.