Cleanest and most food sanitary lines/ship besides Disney?

I travel with an immunocompromised child. We have been on Disney 3 times with no issues because they are constantly cleaning and have impeccable food safety standards and the food temperatures are right on point. They even have self cleaning hand wash stations in the child area! Are there any other ships that we can travel, we need to go on one in a few weeks and I'm confused as to which one we should go to. The reviews for Princess recently scared me off, talking about food temperature problems and toilet smells and mishaps....what about Celebrity?

Rather than depending on anecdotal reports of others, with an immunocompromised child, I'd educate myself about the CDC's ongoing Vessel Sanitation Program (for cruise ships) and would look at recent scores for any ship I was considering....

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionSearch.aspx

It looks to me like a number of Princess ships are singled out for receiving a perfect score of 100 on recent inspections. ;)

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/Inspectionwith100Score.aspx

Interesting...looking at the details from Disney inspections...it looks like they have their issues, too.

Our 11 night non-Disney cruise this last January...the ship left port after receiving a 100% from US Public Health Service (they were onboard as we settled into our cabin). The Captain was so proud!

By the 8th or 9th day of the sailing there was a Code Red Norovirus outbreak. None of our party was affected, but there were some inconveniences.

Rather than depending on anecdotal reports of others, with an immunocompromised child, I'd educate myself about the CDC's ongoing Vessel Sanitation Program (for cruise ships) and would look at recent scores for any ship I was considering....

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionSearch.aspx

It looks to me like a number of Princess ships are singled out for receiving a perfect score of 100 on recent inspections. ;)

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/Inspectionwith100Score.aspx

What a great site! -- Thanks!

All four of the major US lines we have sailed on have been cleaner than any resort or hotel we have stayed at (and I include the luxury end in that) and I assume the others will be similar.

Pick a popular line and maybe a new or refurbed ship and you probably cannot go wrong.

We have been on Disney 3 times with no issues because they are constantly cleaning and have impeccable food safety standards and the food temperatures are right on point.

Are there any other ships that we can travel

I would think any of them as what you describe is not out of the ordinary and what we've seen on every ship on which we've cruised in 26 years.

....and how do you know the food temperatures are right on point? Do you test them?

I travel with an immunocompromised child. We have been on Disney 3 times with no issues because they are constantly cleaning and have impeccable food safety standards and the food temperatures are right on point. They even have self cleaning hand wash stations in the child area! Are there any other ships that we can travel, we need to go on one in a few weeks and I'm confused as to which one we should go to. The reviews for Princess recently scared me off, talking about food temperature problems and toilet smells and mishaps....what about Celebrity?

I think that you will find that almost all mass market lines that sail out of the US are as clean and maintain the same food standards as Disney.

On Carnival you’ll see crew constantly cleaning the public areas. We seen the the housekeeping supervisors inspect lighting tracks with flash lights. Looking for dust bunnies.

HAL doesn’t open the buffet for self service until day 3 of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In January 2018 we started with the three day serve by HAL...then it was serve yourself and then when Code Red Noro started, it was back to serve by HAL.

Did 2 cruises on HAL in 2017. Eurodam (Canal) and KDam (21 day Caribbean). Neither ever had self service in the Lido, for the entire cruise.

Thank you and thank you for being nice :) Just a worried mama here, and yes, we do need a vacation this summer but due to medical issues we haven't scheduled one yet, and we only have three weeks until school preparedness. This is all good information here, and is so helpful!

A possible source of sewer smells might be when they are emptying the septic tanks? On my last cruise of 13 night Norway cruise there were 2 occasions when there was a strong sewer smell in aft parts of the ship. We were berthed and I noticed they were emptying something into large road tankers. There were 3 of them and the vents on the tops of the tanks looked open to my untrained eyes.

Having read this thread, I'm satisfied it is a genuine post by the thread starter.

I know my opinion stands for diddly squat, but the initial post looked to me like a commercial for Disney. I have never sailed on Disney but I have sailed on other lines, and I feel that those I have been on have done as much as they could to promote cleanliness and sanitary conditions on board, and I didn't see why Disney should be presented as the best example.

Having read the thread through, I understand Christina's concerns, and am pleased others have addressed them.

There are a lot of misunderstandings on these fora, and frequent flame wars, so I guess it's important that we state the reasons for our inquiries first up, so that people like me don't grasp the wrong end of the pineapple!

A possible source of sewer smells might be when they are emptying the septic tanks? On my last cruise of 13 night Norway cruise there were 2 occasions when there was a strong sewer smell in aft parts of the ship. We were berthed and I noticed they were emptying something into large road tankers. There were 3 of them and the vents on the tops of the tanks looked open to my untrained eyes.

I would doubt that those were anything to do with sewage. It was most probably engine room sludges/slops (used oil) that needs to be landed ashore for either reclaiming or incineration. 3 tank trucks would in no way handle the sewage for even a mid-size cruise ship for more than a few hours. Ships have their own waste water treatment plants to treat the waste water to acceptable international standards (and in many cases well beyond what is required) for disposal at sea, and sufficient holding capacity for when a ship is not allowed to discharge treated sewage (relatively few areas around the world).

As someone posted a link to one of my previous posts regarding sewer smells, I have found that 90% of the time it is a dry drain trap in the gray water system.