Diamond Status traveling with Emerald Status friends.

dedosr

My wife and I are Diamond. Will our friends that are Emerald be able to take advantage of some of our Diamond(Lounge,etc.) benefits since we are cruising together? I was told by someone they were, but I'm not sure..

My wife and I are Diamond. Will our friends that are Emerald be able to take advantage of some of our Diamond(Lounge,etc.) benefits since we are cruising together? I was told by someone they were, but I'm not sure..

No perks transfer for "cruising together".

I understand, it would be nice if they could. But it's just not practical. There are so many Diamond and above already that these lounges are pretty packed as it is. Letting perks transfer to companions would really jam the place up.

Plus, many of the status whores around here would lose their ever loving minds!;p;p;p

You can use your Diamond free drinks to buy for anyone. We seldom use ours but DIL new Royal cruiser got her before dinner drink every night on my card. Tip and be nice to bartender and even got long island tea, not on the menu.

I understand, it would be nice if they could. But it's just not practical. There are so many Diamond and above already that these lounges are pretty packed as it is. Letting perks transfer to companions would really jam the place up.

Plus, many of the status whores around here would lose their ever loving minds!;p;p;p

All true but you never know what will happen if you ask. We cruised with three other couples two years ago on Celebrity and ourselves and one other couple were Elite due to matching our Diamond status. The four of us went to the nightly Elite event and met up with the other two couples before dinner. One night we mentioned to the hostess that we were travelling with two other couples and she told us to bring them with us the next night. Granted, they were using a venue much bigger than your typical Diamond lounge and crowding was not an issue, but we were able to bring those two other couples into the nightly event one evening.

You can use your Diamond free drinks to buy for anyone. We seldom use ours but DIL new Royal cruiser got her before dinner drink every night on my card. Tip and be nice to bartender and even got long island tea, not on the menu.

That's not what they are for...

It's taken many a long time to reach their C&A status....it shouldn't be expected to share that with those that haven't. Their welcome to earn their own.

I agree! Times have also changed. The lounges are so much more crowded than they used to be.

Many people, myself included, earned their status the hard way - mostly 7-day cruises in non-suite rooms. Even if you have the ability to cruise at the last minute, air fare often negates the cost savings. Many people can rack up points by cruising frequently without having to consider air fare.

I also feel it's very unfair to the concierge "to put them on the spot." Have seen many people ask and be upset when told no - especially if asking for family members. Rules are meant for everyone! Now that there are free drinks loaded on Seapass card it's really not necessary.

Seems easy; if you have 80 points or more, avail yourself of the lounge, otherwise enjoy drinks on your Seapass though I really do not believe the intent was to share with others; that can lead to elimination of the benefit potentially.

The lounge typically is not as busy during continental breakfast or at times when no concierge is on duty. If you brought your friends there to sit and chat then, or show off the lounge, I don't think anyone really minds. That would not bother me. During the busier hours we have had to use overflow space which I don't mind, but I never considered it being due to those who really aren't supposed to be there taking up space. That may or may not have been the case, I don't card people at the door. But I would be irked if there was no space and it was for that reason.

OP, I think you know what the right answer is.

Seems like a good spot for this question- We are four points away from diamond and are planning a 13 day cruise. Will we remain Emerald for the entire cruise?

Yes. Actual points are not awarded until a week to 10 days after the full completion of your cruise. Almost all of us turned the next level during part way on a cruise. The only level that is recognized while still on the cruise...is turning Pinnacle.

But I looked at it this way....that just makes booking the following cruise that much sweeter. Good things come to those that wait...and are earned. :)

Seems like a good spot for this question- We are four points away from diamond and are planning a 13 day cruise. Will we remain Emerald for the entire cruise?

Yes, you will. Points are not awarded until after the cruise has been completed (unless you are turning Pinnacle).

Seems easy; if you have 80 points or more, avail yourself of the lounge, otherwise enjoy drinks on your Seapass though I really do not believe the intent was to share with others; that can lead to elimination of the benefit potentially.

The lounge typically is not as busy during continental breakfast or at times when no concierge is on duty. If you brought your friends there to sit and chat then, or show off the lounge, I don't think anyone really minds. That would not bother me. During the busier hours we have had to use overflow space which I don't mind, but I never considered it being due to those who really aren't supposed to be there taking up space. That may or may not have been the case, I don't card people at the door. But I would be irked if there was no space and it was for that reason.

OP, I think you know what the right answer is.

So policy can apply at your discretion at times and not at other's....Hmmm...The Continental breakfast is still a deserved perk of the C&A level.

Agree, you never know the exact status or lack of of those in the lounge at any time...you just assume and hope that they have it to be in there.

It's taken many a long time to reach their C&A status....it shouldn't be expected to share that with those that haven't. Their welcome to earn their own.

As a Diamond myself, I've earned the right to either not order them, or give my drinks away, or enjoy them for myself. These are MY drinks and therefore it's MY choice!

As a Diamond myself, I've earned the right to either not order them, or give my drinks away, or enjoy them for myself. These are MY drinks and therefore it's MY choice!

I was posting to the OP (topic) about sharing perks earned with those that haven't (mainly the lounge).

I personally don't care what you decide to do with your drinks once you order them in a bar onboard ;)

Edited by Ashland

So policy can apply at your discretion at times and not at other's....Hmmm...The Continental breakfast is still a deserved perk of the C&A level.

Agree, you never know the exact status or lack of of those in the lounge at any time...you just assume and hope that they have it to be in there.

Not what I said exactly. Just that if they want to show the lounge to their friends when no concierge is on duty it is likely to be empty or sparsely populated and thus no one will raise a fuss. If they want their friends to be introduced to the concierge they can take them at continental breakfast time when the concierge is on duty. I did not state it would be okay for their friends to take advantage of the amenities at that time.