Formal Nights, Tuxedos, Thoughts?

Our little family of three have booked on Anthem in February. Five year old son has a cute little suit to wear for formal nights...perfect. DH likes the idea of going the tux route for himself. It's been six years since we've cruised and based on what I've been reading about the lack of formal night enthusiasm, I'm worried he'll stick out like a sore thumb. On the other hand (haha, get it?) he doesn't seem to care, good for him right!?. I hoped other folks who cruise more often than we do could give me a rough estimate on the percentage of tuxedo wearers vs. suits vs. "casual business attire" that they notice on formal nights. Thanks!

Oh yes...and he doesn't own a tux, he'd have to rent one so we're weighing that factor into our decision as well. In the end, we don't get to vacation very often so....it's whatever makes you happy right?

Our little family of three have booked on Anthem in February. Five year old son has a cute little suit to wear for formal nights...perfect. DH likes the idea of going the tux route for himself. It's been six years since we've cruised and based on what I've been reading about the lack of formal night enthusiasm, I'm worried he'll stick out like a sore thumb. On the other hand (haha, get it?) he doesn't seem to care, good for him right!?. I hoped other folks who cruise more often than we do could give me a rough estimate on the percentage of tuxedo wearers vs. suits vs. "casual business attire" that they notice on formal nights. Thanks!

Oh yes...and he doesn't own a tux, he'd have to rent one so we're weighing that factor into our decision as well. In the end, we don't get to vacation very often so....it's whatever makes you happy right?

Approximately 5 % wear tuxedos in my opinion (Burlington is one of my favorite cities on the planet)

Personally, my husband and I love to get dressed up on the "suggested" formal nights. It's really the only chance during the year to go all out, and look really nice for some formal pictures. He wears a tux, and also has a white dinner jacket (in which he looks smashing!), and I have a few gowns. It's a great feeling, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Yep, we repeat formal wear on cruises, but who cares? It's the thought, for us, that really counts.

I still wear full tails on formal nights, as recently as September on Liberty. I was not the only one in a tux. Wear it. Have fun.

Several years ago my husband went to a tux shop and was able to purchase a tux for a reasonable price. Dressing to the nines is one of the things we like about cruising. Wear what you want and enjoy yourself. A formal picture is always a great memory.

I bought two tuxes in 2001. Excellent investment. Simple ones are only $200-300. I have on pair of fitted pants and one pair with the 'eat too much' let out the waist wings. I've taken my tuxedo on every cruise we've taken. Replacement white shirts are inexpensive on Amazon.

The number of tuxedo wearers has diminished. but I wear it for myself and not others. Last cruise I saw around a 100 or so in tuxes for our MDR seating.

Do what makes you happy!

I'm worried he'll stick out like a sore thumb

give me a rough estimate on the percentage of tuxedo wearers vs. suits vs. "casual business attire" that they notice on formal nights.

In the end, we don't get to vacation very often so....it's whatever makes you happy right?

Your husband won't stick out at all.

Best rough guess I can provide is tuxedos will be in the minority, suits & business attire/polo shirt/khakis (including those horrific bowling shirts :) ) will be the bell curve middle, and the tee shirts and shorts/jeans group will be present as well.

My experience aboard Anthem (and Quantum) was a slightly, better-dressed crowd compared to Florida departures, possibly due to the location of embarkation in close proximity to NYC. The aforementioned is merely a personal observation, so don't assume as fact.

Most important, it's your vacation so make sure you're dressed comfortably for the occasion!!

DH rented a tux on the ship one year. That took care of what he wore on formal night for the trip, limiting what we needed to bring clothing wise. Made it a bit nicer. And we got some great pics. Tux was in the cabin on embarkation day, and we left it for the cabin attendant to take care of at the end. Easy. Didn't have to worry about packing it, wrinkles, all that stuff.

We just returned from a Southern cruise on Freedom of the Seas. I only saw one or two men wear tuxedos. "Chic" casual is the usual. I wore a long sleeve collard shirt with a vest for the formal nights. Many of the ladies were more stylist.

I hoped other folks who cruise more often than we do could give me a rough estimate on the percentage of tuxedo wearers vs. suits vs. "casual business attire" that they notice on formal nights. Thanks!

I am a tux owner. Given I paid for it at a wedding years ago, I look at this as my time to get my money's worth! I am certainly in the minority, but I never feel self conscious. In fact, I get a lot of attention. LOTS of wives chide their husbands, "see, he's dressing nice for his wife" (which makes my wife grin) and get plenty of compliments.

If you enjoy the dressing up (and we do - it's only a few hours, and it's quite fun to enjoy that different look and feel for an evening), I say go for it. You will see the full spectrum of dress that night. Have fun!

Thanks everyone. I enjoyed reading everyone's opinions, thoughts, advice and experiences. The more I thought about it I came to realizing that we don't get dressed up that often and we should take advantage of the opportunity. We're pretty psyched about this cruise so...why not...we'll live it up and go all out for the formal nights. Maybe even a tux for our little man too! Happy Sailings!