Looks like the Gem missed GSC today

Norovirus595

5 hours ago, Norovirus595 said:

Seas look calm. No whitecaps...

You can't tell anything by looking at a web cam. The breeze may be stronger than you think, the currents could be strong, so many possibilities. No reason to try to stir the pot about something that doesn't directly  impact you.

2 hours ago, zqvol said:

You can't tell anything by looking at a web cam. The breeze may be stronger than you think, the currents could be strong, so many possibilities. No reason to try to stir the pot about something that doesn't directly  impact you.

Oh chill out. I'm not "stirring the pot." I'm commenting on the webcam. Feel free to check out of the thread if this discussion doesn't interest you. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cdnsteelman said:

I'm 0 for 3 myself, I was starting to take it personally 😉

now i would take it personally as well. I guess they like me better, as we have only missed the port 2 or 3 times, but we have missed it. For those who have yet to visit, it is fun but nothing that will leave a lasting impression one way or the other. 

LOL you don't need whitecaps to cancel tenders.  The sea can be extremely rough with no whitecaps.   We tendered once to GSC where it was a borderline cancellation but they got everyone back safe.  The ride back to the ship was terrifying for some.  You don't realize how rough the sea can be until you are on a small boat with giant swells.

2 minutes ago, abr5000 said:

Hopefully heading to GSC next week on the Escape!  So, what happens if you can't tender? Do they offer any type of OBC or tax refund (if their private island is even taxable)?

No.  GSC is an iffy stop for most cruises.  Usually go to Nassau instead if missed.  We've been fortunate to make it all four times scheduled.  However, on one cruise, it took the captain relocating the ship twice to finally find a spot that he considered safe for the tenders to run.  Then on one of the cruises, while the tenders did run, they were rocking and rolling and pitching so that many folks, including us just said no.  

We've gotten lucky and have never missed it (not sure how many times we've been? somewhere in the 2-4 range?), but we have been there when tender conditions on the way back to the ship were not good at all and I think they probably wished they had skipped it. At least one tender was damaged.

Personally, I don't think you're missing much.  The beach is very rocky and shallow water slippery.  The tenders could rock.  The wait to get a tender (both ways) could be long if you want to go early or leave late.  The food lines could be long.  It's row after row of chairs.

We made it last week on the Escape, but only went because DH wanted to go.  I would have been just as happy staying on the ship.

• Like 1

We got there on an early morning tender boat on our last cruise on the Epic and then the seas got rough and tendering was stopped till about noon. Glad we made it as my sister and law's friend was a lifeguard there and caught some lobsters and fish which he grilled for us. Best meal of the cruise.

After following this thread I'm grateful we made it. 

I loved it.  The fresh rum punch was the best I've had.  The food was a good beach BBQ, the water was clear and there was plenty of secluded area if you strayed a little past the dock area.

The first time we went I could see why they miss so much.  The waters looked calm enough to me, but the tender was quite shaky, and they stopped service for at least an hour while we waited in the theater to board.

Last time we were set to sail there the waters were great and I was sure we'd make it... then we had a medical emergency and had to divert.

I am always surprised to see these posts! When we went on the Epic in December 2016 our first stop was GSC and the weather was awful! The tender boat was rocking and rolling and I was extremely motion sick while we sat waiting for it to fill up. The water was so choppy going into the little port area I was afraid we weren't going to make the turn by the rock wall area! They still got all of us out there and back and it was a pretty stormy/colder day.