Entertainers I Miss

67Miner

Over the years -- since 2003, at least -- I have come across some fabulous Celebrity entertainers that I have not seen lately.

o  Pepe, a wonderful classical guitarist, from Spain, as I recall.

o  Brooks Ahrens, a delightful British classical pianist who had the talent to master any genre of music

o  Lindsay Hamilton, the British songbird who I remember from the time before she married and after the birth off her two children. 

o  Doug Cameron, a great electric violinist (blue in color) that could make a violin talk.  His mother sang with and wrote for Rosemary  

Clooney.  I remember he worked in developing young musicians in California.

But, thankfully, Celebrity is still finding some good talent to bring onboard.  But, it's nice to reminisce about some off those who impressed me from cruises years ago.

4 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Jordan Peterson, who I got to see on both Summit and Century. Great pianist -- I even have and autographed CD of his! 🙂 (Last I heard, Jordan had a permanent gig at Disney World.)

Jordan was amazing but when we saw him on Summit he was just one of the entertainers around the ship, not a guest entertainer. I told him multiple times that he should have tried out for American Idol (as did others, I believe). I guess the thread title isn't specific to the guest or "around the ship" variety.

Edited by MisterBill99

OPUS and any genuine island/ reggae Band

ONYX.....great party band!

Jimmy Buffet  style guitarist who knows the songs

Classical guitarists

Harpist

Sring trio or quartet , esp for chic night dinners

Piano Bar entertainers other than Perry Grant ( sorry -Perry Fans)

Broadway talent 

Back in the 90s Celebrity used to have an excellent male singer sort of like Tom Jones or Englebert Humperdinc and he  did double duty.  At the time Celebrity in the summer had two ships going to Bermuda every week, one would leave on Saturday and return the following Saturday and the other other would leave on Sunday's returning on Sunday.  He would go to Bermuda on Sunday, do his shows, switch ships, do the shows on the other ship on the return and arrive in NYC on Saturday.   I think he is still around, perhaps someone knows his name. 

I do remember a female singer who surprised a lot of people with one selection of a song.  Shortly after  the Titanic Movie came out we did a Caribbean trip  and she actually sang "my Heart will go on."   Some actually complained, people are funny.

On our last cruise we saw the group "Summer of 63" doing Frankie Valli and  Four Seasons, I know they have been on other ships and are very good.  

Edited by dkjretired

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

Lindsay Hamilton was great! We love Jane Curry, who I believe still performs on Celebrity but was not on our recent Infinity cruise.

Jayne Curry was on the Eclipse last week - Alejandro was CD and they do appear to be friends - and said that she has a contract to work for Celebrity for the next 12 months.  She also said she likes to work 2 weeks and then go home (to Bolton in NW England) for 2 weeks.  I haven’t looked at her website but she did mention that you can find out where she’s going to be performing on there.

11 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Jayne Curry was on the Eclipse last week - Alejandro was CD and they do appear to be friends - and said that she has a contract to work for Celebrity for the next 12 months.  She also said she likes to work 2 weeks and then go home (to Bolton in NW England) for 2 weeks.  I haven’t looked at her website but she did mention that you can find out where she’s going to be performing on there.

Thanks for the correction on the spelling of her first name :). Checked her blog and she doesn't have any Edge sailings listed :(. Also looks like she was on the Infinity Panama Canal last year (or maybe before that as her posts don't have years listed). Jayne is the rare performer who is a great singer and is also funny. As opposed to Linda Gentille who I've seen twice this year who is an excellent piano player but is not nearly as good a comedian as she thinks she is.

4 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Thanks for the correction on the spelling of her first name :). Checked her blog and she doesn't have any Edge sailings listed :(. Also looks like she was on the Infinity Panama Canal last year (or maybe before that as her posts don't have years listed). Jayne is the rare performer who is a great singer and is also funny. 

Jayne and Alejandro did a Q&A session in Celebrity Central (so popular they did it two nights running) and she was asked about the Edge.  She gave a very tactful reply along the lines of they are looking for a different type of entertainment on that ship.  Make of that what you will!

Think they were called the party band, Sipra. Will never forget hearing the lead vocal singing Whitney 'And I will always love you' on our first cruise when Silhouette was on her first Med cruise in 2010. Just beautiful.

6 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Jayne and Alejandro did a Q&A session in Celebrity Central (so popular they did it two nights running) and she was asked about the Edge.  She gave a very tactful reply along the lines of they are looking for a different type of entertainment on that ship.  Make of that what you will!

Why am I thinking it's Quantum/Anthem of the Seas 2.0.

Wow, back to back posts mentioning Jack Walker and the Tenors of Rock.  I have seen them both, loved them both.  I keep trying to find Jack working in Las Vegas but no luck so far and his web site is years out of date.  The Tenors of Rock. When we saw them on a ship it was mentioned thy were going to Las Vegas so I asked and the guys said "Harrah's in December".   Wow, acapela rock on the Strip in Las Vegas. Not quite... they had a full group of musicans backing up and dancing girls too....Yes, they were still good but not what I was expecting.  The good news is the Tenors are still playing at Harrah's and doing well.  

7 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Think they were called the party band, Sipra. Will never forget hearing the lead vocal singing Whitney 'And I will always love you' on our first cruise when Silhouette was on her first Med cruise in 2010. Just beautiful.

We share your sentiments. We never remember the names of the band after the cruise ends,  but we still remember Sipra and even look for them on our cruises, to no avail.  I believe they have not been on a Celebrity ship for several years.

Gordon Daniels - a wonderful guitar player and singer who would play in the Rendezvous Lounge.  Love Jayne Curry also - great voice and so personable.   Ashlee Amber is very good if you like Whitney Houston.  There have been a few other acts we just loved, but can't recall the names.  I wish they would up their standards for their lounge music.  Took many Celebrity cruises in the past couple of years since retirement and I have to say the vast majority of the lounge acts ranged from awful to just ok.  A few gems in there (Gilley and the Girl I think is one) but mostly not up to the standards of old.  

Does anyone remember Lemon Squeezy?  They are a Swedish acapella group who performed on the fall TA in 2013 on the Silhouette.  I also loved hearing Gary Arbuthnot, a flute soloist from Northern Ireland.  According to his website he can now be seen on Fred Olsen and Cunard Cruise Lines.

5 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

1.  All the a cappella groups  yes

2. Hyperion Knight  yes

3. String quartets  yes

4. Perry Grant  no, but any other piano bar player would be great

5. Onyx don't know them

6. Sipra yes

20 hours ago, 67Miner said:

Over the years -- since 2003, at least -- I have come across some fabulous Celebrity entertainers that I have not seen lately.

o  Pepe, a wonderful classical guitarist, from Spain, as I recall.

o  Brooks Ahrens, a delightful British classical pianist who had the talent to master any genre of music

o  Lindsay Hamilton, the British songbird who I remember from the time before she married and after the birth off her two children. 

o  Doug Cameron, a great electric violinist (blue in color) that could make a violin talk.  His mother sang with and wrote for Rosemary  

Clooney.  I remember he worked in developing young musicians in California.

But, thankfully, Celebrity is still finding some good talent to bring onboard.  But, it's nice to reminisce about some off those who impressed me from cruises years ago.

I remember them all. Brooks Ahrens gave 3 concerts during our TA cruise. Theater was full every time. What a pianist!

Doug Cameron - we enjoyed his music 4 times. Maybe we will see him again.

All are wonderful musicians.