We just disembarked from our 1st HAL cruise, can't wait to sail with Princess again

CineGraphic

Yes, the Nieuw Statendam is a lovely ship. Yes, HAL's musicians were the best I've heard in years (land or sea), but Pam and I can't wait to get back to what we're used to with Princess.

When trying to figure out why, I can't put my finger on it. HAL was superior in several ways, but we missed enough of how Princess does things, to not make us want to waver from them in the future. I'll post a review eventually, but now it's time to spoil our two dogs who we missed terribly.

• Like 3

I will be looking for your review.  We sailed on HAL last decade and had specific complaints the largest being the general age of the pax.  We were younger at the time of course and did not fit in with the HAL pax.  

We sail both HAL  & recently booked 4 Princess cruises of which 3 are on the Royal Princess & the other is the Star Princess . We are both 80 .Yes we fit well the pax on HAL  & I feel we can fit well on Princess .We have already done 83 cruises with the 2 on HAL coming up for the Caribbean  March & April  . We feel that joining in any activity is a state of mind & not age :classic_rolleyes:

We like both lines because not only are they very good cruise lines ;but ,we can drive to each SD port & San Pedro port & no flying :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I look forward to your review. We felt the same as you did after our first Princess cruise because we were so used to sailing Celebrity. Three years later, we tried Princess again and swore not to constantly compare the differences, but to stay in the moment & we came away with another cruise line that we enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too am looking forward to hearing more.

After you get settled in and spend some time with those doggies!!!

We had an excellent cruise on the Regal!!!!   Except for the food and service in the MDR were just abysmal, with the current cutbacks.   We are hoping that this does not happen on HAL.

We have a cruise on deposit on the N.S.  our first on HAL, and are hoping for edible food and better service.

But, we will def. miss everything else about the beautiful ship and the super excellent entertainment and vibe on the Regal.

Edited by Wishing on a star

16 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Yes, the Nieuw Statendam is a lovely ship. Yes, HAL's musicians were the best I've heard in years (land or sea), but Pam and I can't wait to get back to what we're used to with Princess.

What was your itinerary?

What did you like about the Nieuw Statendam itself?

2 hours ago, caribill said:

What was your itinerary?

What did you like about the Nieuw Statendam itself?

Private Island, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

The shower in the cabin was excellent, and the balcony size was generous.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Was the Dive-In on that ship?   Best burgers and also the best Portabella mushroom ever.

Yes....the Dive In is there, and I like that they take your order and give you a pager instead of waiting in line at the counter while they prepare your order. I heard raves about their fries and dive-in sauce, but those raves must have come from folks that don't get out much. The burgers and dogs were good though. Dogs were Nathan's.

3 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Why would anyone want to compare HAL and Princess?   

Maybe to give people who haven’t sailed on HAL but have been thinking about it, a point of reference?

Wev’e thought about it from time to time but to date have been loyal to Princess and Regent.

I, for one, appreciate hearing the comparison if only for future consideration. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We’ve recently booked a cruise on the Niueu Stantendam for 2020. We’ve been loyal Princess cruisers for years, but wanted a different itinerary. We’re approaching the cruise with open minds. Each cruise line has certain things people like over others. I’m sure HAL will have some things we like better and some less. I can definitely say that Princess has the best website. 

6 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Private Island, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

The shower in the cabin was excellent, and the balcony size was generous.

I hear Half Moon Cay is nicer than Princess Cays? Any comments?

I sailed once on HAL and I had a great inside cabin. It was huge with a huge bathroom. Very impressed.

I have only sailed RCI, Norwegian and Carnival previously, but am considering either HAL or Princess for our upcoming summer cruise to Alaska.  Can anyone weigh in on those two lines specifically as they compare for an Alaskan cruise?  I'm just overwhelmed right now with the choices.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, tiger belle said:

I have only sailed RCI, Norwegian and Carnival previously, but am considering either HAL or Princess for our upcoming summer cruise to Alaska.  Can anyone weigh in on those two lines specifically as they compare for an Alaskan cruise?  I'm just overwhelmed right now with the choices.  Thanks.

I have done Alaska on NCL, HAL, and Princess. I enjoyed all of them, though NCL not as much. I thought Princess had the best itinerary-specific programming and food, but many HAL cruises go to Sitka, which is a very nice and less crowded port.

Interesting... I have been on HAL twice. Once, I absolutely loved it. The other time, not so much. It may have been the ship, the itinerary, or the time of year- I am not sure.

Ever since the sailing on the Zuiderdam at New Years.... I have never considered another HAL cruise.