My new pet peeve on Oceania

Flatbush Flyer

Anyone who has perused my CC posts know that my major pet peeve on Oceania has long been the crew nametags. Small print fonts on a grey background render them basically useless.

Now I've got a new one. Although minor, it still is worth a mention. 

During 2018, O started putting each evening's GDR menu on the cabin TVs (channel 37 on the R ships). It is accompanied by what has been described as "soft" music selections. However, on my current cruise, I've again noticed the consistent use of a somewhat questionable music genre (we also experienced this on our previous cruise several months ago).

Given the cultural mix of passengers on any O ship, a careful listen to the lyrics of the "menu music " might raise a few eyebrows. After all, not everyone wants to be viewing what's for dinner while hearing that "Jesus loves you."

Our current CD informs me that the music choice is made at HQ in Miami. Perhaps O has hired some former missionaries?

In any case, check it out. And whatever you think, do remember that Jesus DOES love all God's children (even if they didn't go to "Cat-lick" school like me).😉

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

I really never pay much attention to lyrics unless it is loud and obnoxious. And I probably wouldn't care.

Unfortunately  I'm sure someone will forward this to the ACLU so they can hassle O management just because.

Does not offend me but may other people.  O needs to think about what they are doing.  

2 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

I really never pay much attention to lyrics unless it is loud and obnoxious. And I probably wouldn't care.

Unfortunately  I'm sure someone will forward this to the ACLU so they can hassle O management just because.

latest?cb=20170409034149Ah Comrade, but subtlety may be their aim.

Freedom from Religion can be an enormous component of freedom of Religion.  

• Like 1

Why do so many think that background music is essential?  Now, I wouldn't object per se to "Jesus Loves Me" but I would to rock.  I love classical music but I'm well aware that not everyone agrees with me.  With so many musical genres being available, I think the best default would be NO music.

It's certainly not necessary while you are reading a menu or checking on the weather!

Mura

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mura said:

Why do so many think that background music is essential?  Now, I wouldn't object per se to "Jesus Loves Me" but I would to rock.  I love classical music but I'm well aware that not everyone agrees with me.  With so many musical genres being available, I think the best default would be NO music.

It's certainly not necessary while you are reading a menu or checking on the weather!

Mura

Yes, the music was annoying.

So we kept it off, too.

That *would* have been fine, but... when we heard an announcement in the hallway, one that we couldn't hear at all well enough to understand in our suite, we tried to quickly turn on the sound, but by then... it was usually too late.

This happened even if we had the Bridge cam on, or such, and only needed to get to the remote to get the sound on, and not start up the entire TV, etc.

GC

For what it's worth, the GDR menu is on channel 40 on the 'O' ships, and channel 40 is classical music.  The music channels (30 to 40) are the same on all ships.  37 is "Uplifting" music.  34 is Oldies.  The themes run for 6 hour segments -- midnite to 6 AM, 6 AM to noon, etc.  We like to listen to channel 32, "Rat Pack" while we have sundowners in the late afternoon.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Our current CD informs me that the music choice is made at HQ in Miami. Perhaps O has hired some former missionaries?

Could it be that said "missionary" has not had time to add the on board Bible Study to the Currents for the ATW sailing on Insignia? (See post 704, "LIVE FROM" 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise)  Is this a conflict in conspiracies? For those who are peeved the mute button is your friend.  It would please me to leave the ACLU out of this kerfuffle.  

44 minutes ago, golfguyhhi said:

For what it's worth, the GDR menu is on channel 40 on the 'O' ships, and channel 40 is classical music.  The music channels (30 to 40) are the same on all ships.  37 is "Uplifting" music.  34 is Oldies.  The themes run for 6 hour segments -- midnite to 6 AM, 6 AM to noon, etc.  We like to listen to channel 32, "Rat Pack" while we have sundowners in the late afternoon.

Maybe the term "uplifting" is code 😉

I just double-checked the channels here on Sirena. The GDR menu is on 37.

BTW, tonight's menu includes Red Ginger's Maylasian Beef Penang. Yum!

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Anyone who has perused my CC posts know that my major pet peeve on Oceania has long been the crew nametags. Small print fonts on a grey background render them basically useless.

Now I've got a new one. Although minor, it still is worth a mention. 

During 2018, O started putting each evening's GDR menu on the cabin TVs (channel 37 on the R ships). It is accompanied by what has been described as "soft" music selections. However, on my current cruise, I've again noticed the consistent use of a somewhat questionable music genre (we also experienced this on our previous cruise several months ago).

Given the cultural mix of passengers on any O ship, a careful listen to the lyrics of the "menu music " might raise a few eyebrows. After all, not everyone wants to be viewing what's for dinner while hearing that "Jesus loves you."

In any case, check it out. And whatever you think, do remember that Jesus DOES love all God's children (even if they didn't go to "Cat-lick" school like me).😉

So, have you contacted Oceania corporate to complain about you pet peeves?  

What response did you get?

Good luck in your quest for change.

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

So, have you contacted Oceania corporate to complain about you pet peeves?  

What response did you get?

Good luck in your quest for change.

The name tag issue is well known in Miami since many cruise comment cards have mentioned it. Supposedly, a change is under consideration. 

The "inappropriate" menu music is a relatively new thing. We shall see. 

On the first issue, all the staff here on the Marina now have ( relatively) new name tags. First name is now in large dark print against the lighter background. Home country has been eliminated. One would have to be blind to not be able to read the crew names now!

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

On the first issue, all the staff here on the Marina now have ( relatively) new name tags. First name is now in large dark print against the lighter background. Home country has been eliminated. One would have to be blind to not be able to read the crew names now!

Mission accomplished!

8 minutes ago, palakika said:

Too bad they removed home country info.  I find it interesting to know where crew members are from as interesting conversation and info can result.  We've had many crew who really liked it if you had visited their home countries.

As part of an interesting conversation, couldn’t you just ask?  :classic_blush:  That’s what I do.

Enjoy your cruise.

King

56 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

As part of an interesting conversation, couldn’t you just ask?  :classic_blush:  That’s what I do.

Enjoy your cruise.

King

Even when the country was on the name tag, the logical next question (and conversation starter) was "what town?" So, in essence, passengers still found themselves asking about the crew member's place of origin.

I'd rather have the larger name, which helps "break the ice" and makes it easier to add them on your comment card If so desired.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer