Swimming with pigs.

Did this in Exuma- the pigs were more aggressive than I anticipated. Captain said they are better later in the day after they have been fed all day. RCL can’t possibly be going to EXuma on an excursion because it’s too far, but I suspect same pig behavior. Might want to take the late tour. 

Swimming with pigs as an excursion is a tourist trap and nothing more. It's fake. The only real pigs are in Exuma and Abaco.  They became famous and not as a cruise excursion or anything of the sort.  So now people think of the pigs and Bahamas. 

You can't see the real thing from CocoCay, it's just a bogus tourist trap designed for dumb tourists who don't know better.  I'd avoid it. 

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Did this in Exuma- the pigs were more aggressive than I anticipated. Captain said they are better later in the day after they have been fed all day. RCL can’t possibly be going to EXuma on an excursion because it’s too far, but I suspect same pig behavior. Might want to take the late tour. 

The pigs that are being used will be pet pigs, not the wild pigs of Exuma. They will probably be tamer and maybe better behaved as they are cared for and not left to fend for themselves. However I would agree, why would you want to swim with pigs? Why do we exploit any creature for that matter. I am not a fan of swimming with sharks, dolphins, stingrays, manatees etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ironically, our daughter just asked about this (she's 30).  In doing some homework...learned how incredibly expensive it was to get to Exuma (from regular port stops), not to mention the actual :swimming pigs" location itself.

From Nassau...several shuttle ferries to and from there, along with admission...were $399 per adult.  Looks like the folks running this kind of excursion are money hogs.

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I did a YouTube search and this video was in the top ones that came up. This pig rammed and possibly bit the woman.  If you replay the video you can see that the pig immediately sniffed the ground where she was standing, after the push. I suspect to look for dropped food, thinking her large camera was a bag of food. These pigs seem to be just large aggressive versions of dogs begging for food.

You are right, if I were to go I’d take the late afternoon excursion when they aren’t as aggressive to avoid a situation like this one. Sure doesn’t make me want to swim with the pigs that badly. Maybe take my chances by the pool with the chair hogs.

51 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Ironically, our daughter just asked about this (she's 30).  In doing some homework...learned how incredibly expensive it was to get to Exuma (from regular port stops), not to mention the actual :swimming pigs" location itself.

From Nassau...several shuttle ferries to and from there, along with admission...were $399 per adult.  Looks like the folks running this kind of excursion are money hogs.

Its not a big deal if you're vacationing on one of the islands with the wild pigs. They're on many of the islands now and have been a"thing" for years. I would not plan a trip just to see pigs but if you're on Eleuthera or Exuma, its a cool thing to do. RCCL has them on little island so I suspect these are being raised for this but they could be wild.

• Like 1

Just now, tinkr2 said:

Its not a big deal if you're vacationing on one of the islands with the wild pigs. They're on many of the islands now and have been a"thing" for years. I would not plan a trip just to see pigs but if you're on Eleuthera or Exuma, its a cool thing to do. RCCL has them on little island so I suspect these are being raised for this but they could be wild.

I agree.  We almost went to Sandals on Grand Exuma and considered doing it there with the “original” wild pigs. As for Royal’s pigs, if they are actually wild I suspect they would have been exploiting them years ago for excursions.  I tend to feel that they have been transplanted for revenue purposes.

5 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

Yeah...certainly a novelty thing to do if you happen to be on that island already.

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

I agree.  We almost went to Sandals on Grand Exuma and considered doing it there with the “original” wild pigs. As for Royal’s pigs, if they are actually wild I suspect they would have been exploiting them years ago for excursions.  I tend to feel that they have been transplanted for revenue purposes.

We fly into Eleuthera which has the pigs and they do seem to have spread. But the bigger ones are more aggressive. I have seen photos of the CoCo cay pigs, they looked smaller and cuter, thus probably hand picked for the cruise crowds.

• Like 1

Paying money to swim with pigs in a soup of their own poop/food??  What does Royal charge for this excursion?

Next thing you know there will be a "swimming with the Canadian Geese" excursion on the Canada/New England cruises!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

We fly into Eleuthera which has the pigs and they do seem to have spread. But the bigger ones are more aggressive. I have seen photos of the CoCo cay pigs, they looked smaller and cuter, thus probably hand picked for the cruise crowds.

Yes, the last thing RC wants is a pig attack gone wrong.  Side note, do you like Eleuthera?  We are still thinking about going one day. Seems like a nice quiet island. 

Edited by A&L_Ont