Diamond Members and above - How do you cruise?

chrismch

Diamond member and above - How do you cruise?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. If you are a Diamond, Diamond Plus, or Pinnacle, what cabin category do you normally choose?

• Inside
    • Ocean View
    • Balcony
    • Suite

You need an "it varies" option.

We are D+  I guess we end up with a balcony about 60% of  the time (so I voted that way) but also frequently book promenade interiors and occasionally (like on our upcommig TA) family oceanview, ther larger sized interior or oceanview and once in a blue moon if the deal is too good to pass up, well get a standard interior (like maybe once in 15 cruises).

We're not interested in suites.  We tried them a couple of times and don't find them at all worth the money for us.

Lounge use varies.  If we are on a sailing where the lounge is quiet and not all that crowded (still happens in off season in the med) or a TA where they'Ve done a nice job with overflow longes and made it pleasant, we happily make it an evneing tradtition for the sailing.  On the other hand, if the lounges are overcrowded with people holding seats, etc the first cuple of nights when we poke our heads in, then we quit bothering to even check and happily use our vouchers instead.

I don't drink much and often use my vouchers for a coke.  Until the re3cent change requiring us both to have  a package, DH would get an alcohol package---so sitting in the lounge when pleasant isn't much about the free drinks for us.

Edited by xxHadleyxx

Agree with above, maybe 70% of the time we book balcony cabins. (voted for this)

Have done several interiors depending on price difference and how port intensive an itinerary is.

Have also done a few suites, again depending on price difference.

Edited by L454S

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

We're D+ but that makes no difference on why the JS is our favorite category of cabin.

Why is JS your favorite?  Just curious.   We usually choose a spacious balcony, but earlier this month did a JS on the Vision.   We were not impressed and don't think that there were significant differences over the balcony.  Are JS on bigger ships different than JS on smaller ships like Vision?

Edited by Bee Guy

We probably do 60% balcony, 40% suites so I chose balcony. We use the lounges for an hour or so most evenings (and some mornings), we find fellow passengers more chatty in the lounges than in other bars which is why we like them. We rarely have more than our 3 free drinks so if they did away with the lounges we would miss them but still be happy with 3 drinks on the card.

Julie

6 hours ago, chrismch said:

I've seen a lot of questions about who uses the D, D+ Lounges and wanted to find the answers

Of course, there are no D+ lounges. With the exception  of the few  ships with no lounges, there is a diamond lounge, and either a  concierge lounge or suite lounge. 

How does cabin accommodation have anything to do with use of the diamond, concierge or ( if pinnacle) suite lounge?  

Any D/D+/P  can use the diamond lounge regardless of accommodations.    Generally, Pinnacles can also use the suite lounge, regardless of accommodation. 

M

We're D+ and we always cruise in a JS.  We've done one balcony and 3-4 GS in the past, but exclusively JS now.  We use the CL when there is one.  Otherwise, we use the DL.

For the person who asked why the JS.  Our answer is #1 it has a bathtub with shower so no small shower to deal with.  #2 on newer ships, it has a walk in closet #3 they are larger than a balcony cabin, even on Vision class which we've done JS on multiple times.  Our favorite JS was the Spa JS on Anthem.  So worth the money.  You also have to compare cabins on the same class ship to really know the differences.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

When we first started cruising we always booked oceanview cabins. We wanted the natural light. We couldn't justify spending the money on a balcony cabin because we hardly spent any time in our cabin, we wanted to be out and about doing things. We are now Diamond and find ourselves booking balcony cabins most of the time because (A), we're older now and don't feel a need to be a part of the party all the time and (B), our financial situation is better now than it was when we first started cruising. At this point in time we see no need to book a suite but who knows, maybe that will change too as we get even older.

When we started cruising in 2000, it was ocean views, then balconies. The last few years, however, we have come to appreciate the extra space in a JS or especially a GS. We spend time in the cabin and love the space and larger balconies. If in a GS, it’s room service breakfast on the balcony every day.  And a great bathroom. Have done a lot of Oasis class recently and the Suite Class is excellent. On other classes, a JS is very good, especially Freedom class which has some of the largest JS’s.

mac_tc

Edited by mac_tlc

We’re Young and active early ‘60’s. Generally an inside will do as we’re rarely in our room. Love being active on board activities are very important to us. While we can still be active. However we did just have an ocean view room for transatlantic 14 night and enjoyed it.

Anthem has the virtual balcony which we loved. On occasion we had balcony rooms and loved it. But eating breakfast on the balcony for us was overrated. I can recall each balcony as nice but we are into quantity of cruises. Only so much money.

I know when we are more aged we will revisit balcony and suites. Translation- once we have to withdraw from the 401 retirement plan. Age 70 1/2. 

We Re Elite on Celebrity and diamond on RCL. We love all the perks. Free laundry on Celebrity very nice. 

If the price was right I would go for a balcony but when you get the same food and service for an inside that’s where you find value.

It really depends. 

7 day or longer I like a balcony because I enjoy sitting there on Sea Days with a book or downloaded Netflix.  3 or 4 day cruise I really don't care; just get me onboard.  I usually can find TA's with interior inventory priced well below what RCI advertises so in those cases, I'll take an inside no problem.  

It also depends on the ship:  Some ships have really large oceanview cabins.  If I can get a deal on an OV I will. 

Have never had a suite.  JS, to me, is a bit of extra room at a big premium.  GS and above with full suite benefits beyond what I consider reasonable price for a vacation.  For a longer, more relaxed, extended cruise in the future I would consider that. 

17 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Have yet to see that! 🙄👎

I've had it happen plenty of times.  If not cheaper than an interior certainly cheaper than an OV and priced right at or slightly above interior prices.  Need to factor in other perks or OBC I get from an agent as well, certainly a balcony can be better value than interior. 

• Like 1

I always cruise in a balcony at least.  There were times my husband and I sailed in junior suites, but now that I cruise with my sister or have my granddaughter in my cabin, a balcony is fine. I would rather stay home than sail in an inside or ocean view cabin.

I am Diamond Plus and if I sail with my sister, we may go to the DL for an hour or so some nights.  On Allure we found it hard to find a place to sit as it appeared people camped out there waiting for Happy Hour to start.  On Harmony, we went to the lounge twice.

When I sail with my son and his family, I do not go to the lounge as they aren't eligible.  

I'm only Diamond (almost D+) but we choose to stay in suites as we like the various perks that come along with it.  Admittedly we don't use all of them, but the added (and sometimes perceived) convenience is a benefit.

To Cruisegirl 1... I started this post in response to what I read in another post that RC is diminishing the perks for D and D+ by dropping those lounges in favor of suite guests. So, I wanted to see where most of those D and D+ guests came from - suites or lower cabin categories. Looks like the majority so far are not from the suite category.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chrismch said:

To Cruisegirl 1... I started this post in response to what I read in another post that RC is diminishing the perks for D and D+ by dropping those lounges in favor of suite guests. So, I wanted to see where most of those D and D+ guests came from - suites or lower cabin categories. Looks like the majority so far are not from the suite category.

Look at your own survey.  33% of upper tier C&A members say they are in Suites.  Quite an accomplishment when less than 10% of the ship is suites to start with.  Seems like C&A disproportionately highly represented.  Flawed study and useless data, but should know how to interpret. 

I feel RCI is dropping perks not in FAVOR of suites, but simply trying to reduce costs, increase profits, and as a side effect create differences between suite perks and loyalty perks.  One way would have been to add more suite perks.  RCI took the other way.  Reduce loyalty perks. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

Now that we are retired, always either a JS or if on Oasis class ship, Grand Suite.  We enjoy the Coastal Kitchen and the suite lounge and the reserved sections for Suites.

If not on Oasis class, we will check the Diamond lounge, but found it a bit to over crowded for us.  Very happy to have the drinks loaded on our Sea Pass and we can enjoy our drinks out and about the ship.

I'm getting my first drink package ever on my Navigator cruise this fall.  I always do suites but that is not for the SL.  With the Key offer it does make one wonder if a suite is really worth the price, if one gets the drink package.  I love the latte machine in the DL and SL and priority disembarkation.  Suite seating for the pool is often not a wonderful place, nor is the area reserved for shows.  Probably the Key will be revised to include room service if they can come up with an additional charge.

3 hours ago, BND said:

We're D+ and we always cruise in a JS.  We've done one balcony and 3-4 GS in the past, but exclusively JS now.  We use the CL when there is one.  Otherwise, we use the DL.

For the person who asked why the JS.  Our answer is #1 it has a bathtub with shower so no small shower to deal with.  #2 on newer ships, it has a walk in closet #3 they are larger than a balcony cabin, even on Vision class which we've done JS on multiple times.  Our favorite JS was the Spa JS on Anthem.  So worth the money.  You also have to compare cabins on the same class ship to really know the differences.

I agree plus you get double C&A points for sailing in a JS cabin.

We almost always do balconies, afts if available - we love watching the wake and relaxing on the loungers. We've done a few JS and really enjoy the extra space, but usually can't justify (to us) the extra cost. If we did more JS, we'd have to do fewer cruises - only so much $$ in the budget - and any day on a cruise is preferable to any day on land, so the more often we cruise, the happier we are 😉