No shorts in dining room at dinner - correct?

TupeloHoney

It just occurred to me that what I have set aside for my daughter to wear to dinner a couple of nights probably won't fly.  I would never wear shorts myself, or allow my husband or son to wear shorts in the dining room, but for some reason in my head it was okay for my seven year old daughter.  But it just occurred to me that it probably isn't.

She got two pairs of Bermuda shorts as hand me downs and I was going to bring them.  One pair is navy blue with white polka dots, and has a cute tie belt I was going to pair with a white polo.  They come to her knees.  The second pair are white and I was going to pair those with a flowy light blue shirt with silver threads in it.  These might come just below her knees - so maybe they'd be okay?  More of a pedal pusher?

She's going through a phase and refuses to wear dresses and skirts, though I've demanded she wear dresses on formal nights (I tried and tried to find cute, formal jumpers for her, but just couldn't find any!).  I thought I'd make her happy and bring these long shorts.  They are quite fancy, but are, alas, still shorts.  I better pack pants instead, hadn't I?  Which is silly, because her pants are not as nice as these shorts.

Anyway, just thought I'd double check.  I did a search, but the posts I was finding were all quite old.  

I personally think they will be fine. As long as they are "newer" looking and not worn out looking. As long as they are longer and not really shorts.

As an adult I would not wear them but I would wear capris with a fancier top.

I just checked out where you are headed and don't really think there will be a problem.

• Like 1

Since I read that your daughter is seven and the shorts are Bermuda length and seem to be dressy,I think it should be fine.

My DH and I were on a Celebrity cruise with family friends that included their eight year old daughter. 

One night at dinner in the MDR ,she wore an outfit that consisted of romper shorts that were covered by a long duster. The outfit is a bit difficult to explain, but when she was standing still it looked like she had on a maxi dress. When she walked, the duster split and you could see the shorts. I hope I am explaining it clearly.

Anyway, her shorts were visible and she enjoyed her dinner with us in the dining room- no problem !

24 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I don't think the dress code will bother with a 7 year old who will look adorable in her knee length "shorts". I cannot imagine anyone bothering her about that!!

I agree with you! She is 7 years old, and as long as she is not dressed in laces and short mini skirts( which I doubt the parents will allow), shorts seem safe and will definitely pass in the dining room.

We were on the Grand in January.  An older woman came into the MDR in ratty shorts, a ratty t-shirt, and with long hair that hadn't seen a comb in some time.  I am not exaggerating this.  She looked like she had just rolled out of bed.  She was seated.  Your daughter will be more than fine.

Just finished 21 days on the Diamond.  Lots of adults wore shorts to dinner even on formal nights. Never saw anyone turned away.  Princess wants people to be happy. The motto was, "no problem" no matter what.  She will be fine and not having to fight with her will make it a better trip for everyone. 

1 hour ago, travellingnana said:

We were on the Grand in January.  An older woman came into the MDR in ratty shorts, a ratty t-shirt, and with long hair that hadn't seen a comb in some time.  I am not exaggerating this.  She looked like she had just rolled out of bed.  She was seated.  Your daughter will be more than fine.

Sad. Very sad. I sincerely doubt a man would have been accommodated in that condition. That is also sad. As far as the OP's question goes I am in total agreement with others here. A 7 year old girl will be fine. Totally fine. Most passengers and crew on Princess love seeing the younger passengers. The crew can be amazingly attentive to the kids.

In our experience Princess haven't enforced a formal dress code on children.  Shorts for a 7 year old sound fine.   

You know your child best and her preferences.  Our eldest son hates formal dress (too restrictive to move about in), I have seen children squirming through dinner feeling uncomfortable in their formal clothes; whilst other kids love dressing up.  Actually that's just like a lot of adults - I have seen many women in their beautiful gowns with husbands pulling at their tight shirt cllar next to them.

Enjoy your cruise

They tend to ignore what young children wear as long as it is presentable.  I certainly have seen shorts on young children in the MDR at both formal and other nights.  I was on the CB in November and saw men and women wearing shorts in the TD MDR on casual nights.  The MDR staff did not seem to be concerned about it.  I had seen prior to the cruise on here that shorts were being worn which is why I was looking.  New standard?

On one of our cruises, on formal night a middle aged gentlemen came into the dinning room just after dinner started wearing gym shorts and a muscle shirt.  He was seated and proceeded to eat dinner.

I am sure your 7 year old daughter will look adorable.

When our DD was 5, we took her on her first cruise which was on Sitmar (later bought out by Princess).  Her Grandmother made her a gorgeous full length gown and DW somehow found matching shows.  On the first formal night our little girl was totally excited about wearing her new outfit.  The Maitre'd (who had several of his own young children) was blown away and asked if he could take DD into the galley to show her to the Chef.  For the rest of that cruise our DD got anything she desired from the Sous Chef who often came out of the galley to say hello and deliver her special food.  DD is now over thirty years older with her own child, but still remembers that cruise :).

Hank

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, dog said:

This was true on the Star last 2 weeks no dress  code was enforced any night for anyone I saw. 

I agree with the majority of posters that the choice of "bermuda" shorts for a 7 year old is appropriate.

I dislike the trend of guests choosing to ignore the dress code and the staff not holding guests to the standard. The dress codes are readily available and should be respected. If you, as an adult, want a more casual attire head to the buffet, choose a different cruise line or choose a vacation without the dress codes.

I will never understand the "it's my vacation, I'll do what I want" attitude. 

• Haha 2