Allure - Our room was raided and tossed!

12 minutes ago, Trickie Dickie said:

Only 4 officers and the dog entered the room. The remaining men and women stayed in the hall to guard me and my partner. This was stated in my original post. 

Sorry, guess I got caught up in the craziness of it all

• Like 1

This makes the whole issue even crazier. It took five or six agents and RCI employees to guard Two men in their bathrobes and no shoes standing in the hall. Where did they think you were going to go? You've got to wonder......

22 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

I’m sorry I don’t agree with you.   I was there and you are speculating because of your personal experiences.   I can’t say that I have ever heard of anything like this before, but apparently it happens and now we both know.  I’m sure other people will share their experiences now that I’ve posted mine.   I’m looking forward to hear them. 

I'll be curious too, I'm about to embark on cruise #18, but the first since I became medical marijuana legal.  To all of those racing to the reply button, I will not be bringing any with me, but it possible the suitcases in the basement may pick up the smallest odor.  I'll probably wash my jacket before the trip.

13 minutes ago, travelwide said:

This makes the whole issue even crazier. It took five or six agents and RCI employees to guard Two men in their bathrobes and no shoes standing in the hall. Where did they think you were going to go? You've got to wonder......

It was embarrassing being guarded by so many. No exaggeration!

16 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I don't know how you came up with I was guilty of something and was making accusations.  I was simply trying to figure out if someone else in the searched group was someone he was traveling with or had hung out with on the cruise.

In any case, I now laugh about my husband and I being held at the Dutch-German border crossing into Germany in 1982.  At the time, we fit the profiles of Red October terrorists and we were held until a check was made.

Like the OP, both my husband and I had security clearances from the US government so we were cleared after about twenty minutes and sent on our way.

I missed the original post you quoted, but that person clearly has no clue how bomb/explosives/drug sniffing dogs work.  

For all we know maybe they just forgot to feed the drug sniffing dog that morning so he hit on everything to get fed his treats. 

1 minute ago, Trickie Dickie said:

I am sure that was a stressful situation.  Since the authorities had advanced information on smugglers, it sounds like they had a large contingent of officers available.  One of the arrested was a government contractor, maybe a cross reference of the manifest of the cruise kicked out your name because of your clearances.  Total speculation, but totally possible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

Wow 😮 

I actually was pulled out of of the shower and stood in a bathrobe on full public display. You think I wasn’t embarrassed? Your post is heartless to say the least. 

Cruise Critic can be exhausting. Yikes!

I had never heard of this happening before and don't know you at all,  but respect the way you represented this.  I know I would have been a little less calm and I would have demanded to allow us to get dressed first and I would have made plenty of noise in the hall to  draw more attention,  I don't know the law, but I would have demanded to be in the room while they searched as I know they wouldn't find anything and if they did, I would know they were in error. 

21 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I am sorry this happened to you.  I had a similar experience a few years ago when my 70-year-old SO was accused by Security of stealing a golf cart on Labadee.  I was eventually able to discuss the incident with somebody from Customer Relations and felt somewhat better, but it is an experience I will never forget and it still causes negative feelings when I am reminded of it.  I hope you are able to shake it off better than I did and you will not hang on to an unpleasant memory.

Best thread in months.

I feel for the OP.

You never know what can happen on a cruise.

But,  how does one steal a golf cart on Labadee?

Asking for a friend.

Thanks

Edited by Lionesss
cannot spell
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Trickie Dickie said:

Look at the bright side. You’re so special they dedicated a great deal of resource just for you. They sure didn’t trifle with you or treat you with disregard.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist making a bit of fun. I’ve been in your shoes with US immigration and customs, but always at airports, where it is done away from the public eye.  The worst part isn’t the search, it’s the  presumption and distain. 

Edited by El Abuelo

3 minutes ago, BillOh said:

I had never heard of this happening before and don't know you at all,  but respect the way you represented this.  I know I would have been a little less calm and I would have demanded to allow us to get dressed first and I would have made plenty of noise in the hall to  draw more attention,  I don't know the law, but I would have demanded to be in the room while they searched as I know they wouldn't find anything and if they did, I would know they were in error. 

My initial response to this is you can "demand" all you want...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sft429 said:

My initial response to this is you can "demand" all you want...

I realize that, but it wouldn't stop me and I'm not one to pull the offended card, and in general support law enforcement and border security.  This sounds excessive, and I've never heard of a search at the border without the guests being present.

3 hours ago, travelplus said:

If it were me I would not have let them n the room until. I was fully dressed. Then I would have called down to the Front Desk and asked to be patched into security and have the lead senior officer come up to the room. 

Before anyone entered I would ask for their ID, if they have probable cause or a, warrant to enter. The reason why they suspect any problem. 

If they must enter I would control my possessions and the search by witnessing it. Take any cellphone images or video. 

If I felt it was unjust I would be on the phone with Miami or email the Executive Office. 

Im sorry you experienced this and yes please do report it to the executive office etc. 

You can’t be serious?!???

There does no need to be probable

cause nor is a warrant necessary. 

Royal Caribbean executive offices has nothing to do about this, what are you going to report? 

“Hello, Mr. Bailey? A completely lawful search was performed by an appropriate federal agency on one of your ships.  HELP!!”

• Like 3

It’s not a claim, it’s a fact. 

No it is not a fact. It is a fake fact. While the ship is in a US port it is in the US. Only in the Bahamas Embassy could one claim to be under Bahamas jurisdiction. The ships registry does not pace it in the Bahamas when docked in Florida. I don’t argue that the US law enforcement didn’t have the right to investigate onboard the ship while docked. Also I suspect that the terms of carriage when you agree to cruise contract, you are allowing your cabin and personal items to be searched. The ship is private property. We don’t have the right of free speech onboard either. I don’t however think law enforcement went about it right in this instance as described by OP.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Best thread in months.

I feel for the OP.

You never know what can happen on a cruise.

But,  how does one steal a golf cart on Labadee?

Asking for a friend.

Thanks

A very brief summary:

A man "who needed it" approached a golf cart at the entrance area on Labadee.  The driver was not in the cart, the man's wife got in the backseat, the driver approached and told the man that it was for suite guests only.  The man jumped into the driver's seat and took off with the golf cart, with his wife screaming at him from the back seat and the driver running behind and screaming at him.

My late SO had some mobility issues and used a cane at some ports.  He hired a wheelchair for a ride from the ship to the entrance to Labadee, we took the tram up to the area past the gauntlet of vendors and walked the rest of the way, had a lovely day on the beach, took the tram back, and heard a loud sound upon entering the ship and scanning SO's card.  Security was called and we were told that we needed to go to Guest Services immediately for "an important message".  We were then taken into a tiny room (5' x 7') with only a desk and three chairs and were  interrogated about what we could tell them about the "incident".  What incident?  Apparently security footage was viewed, my SO met the description by the driver or perhaps looked like he "needed" a golf cart because of the cane and his obvious mobility issues, so he was flagged.  We had some terrifying moments when we thought the "important message" was about his family who were camping and ATVing that weekend with their small children.  No explanation was given for the interrogation, and we were eventually told that after they saw my SO's photo on a list of guests meeting the general description, they quit looking. 

I understand the OP's feelings regarding his incident.  I feel anxiety to this day when reminded of our incident.

BYW, the golf cart was later found abandoned at "the top of the hill".  And, really, just what could you do with a stolen golf cart on an island?

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

17 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There does no need to be probable

cause nor is a warrant necessary. 

So true.  Some people appear to be under the impression they have "Rights" that require due process before a search is conducted at U.S. entry points.  I would suggest they educate themselves so that they understand exactly what their "Rights" are and also what responsibilities they have when presenting themselves for entry. U.S. Customs and Border Patrol have extraordinarily authority, and while ignorance may indeed be bliss, the last thing I'm going to do is beak off to armed people in authority in a foreign country (or even my own to be honest) without knowing what I'm talking about. 

Bottom line, when any of us present ourselves for entry into any country we are subjecting ourselves and property with us to the laws of that country.

I am surprised frankly at the number of people posting about the O.P.'s experience who report along the line of "I've never heard of this".  While not an every day occurrence it certainly happens.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

"Check out my Travel Adventures on Video!"  You posted a video of your cabin.  😄 

Oh yeah! 😄 with the signatures being hidden I forgot that I put that there. I did two videos of two different rooms, but yes, I was in the JS. My friends were down the hall in the Central Park balcony room. 

5 minutes ago, Trickie Dickie said:

Oh yeah! 😄 with the signatures being hidden I forgot that I put that there. I did two videos of two different rooms, but yes, I was in the JS. My friends were down the hall in the Central Park balcony room. 

Yes, the one with the big deck.  We had 12629 December 2017 for two weeks. I think I participated in that thread 

BTW, folks can also look through your posting history and glean information. 

Not following your comment on signatures hidden. 

Screenshot_20190331-114215_Chrome.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa