Allure - Our room was raided and tossed!

8 minutes ago, BillOh said:

You continue to post all knowing, but probably with no real experience I'm sure. Keep it up..  In the OP's circumstance I would let them know I will open the door as soon as possible, but I consider covering the peep hole is something a criminal would do, not a legit law enforcement. I don't open any door to anyone covering a peep hole. I would tell them to wait while I called  Guest Services.

Does it not occur to you that they truly would not want to wait for you to call guest services or get dressed?  Do you not understand that they would most likely not want to give somebody time to dispose of anything illicit?

I'm not claiming to be all knowing.  Maybe they would give you the time to do these things, I don't know.  I'm just stating that what you think you might want to do and what they will allow you to do could be very different.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 5

Just now, time4u2go said:

Does it not occur to you that they truly would not want to wait for you to call guest services or get dressed?  Do you not understand that they would most likely not want to give somebody time to dispose of anything illicit?

I'm not claiming to be all knowing.  Maybe they would give you the time to do these things, I don't know.  I'm just stating that what you think you might want to do and what they will allow you to do could be very different.

Bingo

• Like 4

2 hours ago, El Abuelo said:

Look at the bright side. You’re so special they dedicated a great deal of resource just for you. They sure didn’t trifle with you or treat you with disregard.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist making a bit of fun. I’ve been in your shoes with US immigration and customs, but always at airports, where it is done away from the public eye.  The worst part isn’t the search, it’s the  presumption and distain. 

Look, in one of my earlier posts, I mentioned that my 80+ Mom and Wife were selected for add'l security check in San Juan.   By the way, I was not and my wife was fuming.

Also, with regards to dog sniffing, a few years ago while going thru Customs in (again) San Juan, the German Shepherd, picked up scent from my Wife's rolling carry on.  She was pulled into a special area and Customs went thru her bag.  There was a sense of disappointment on the Custom's Agent face when he came upon a roast beef sandwich, instead of drugs.  By the way, I had a similar sandwich, but it was in my backpack and the height escaped the dog's scent.:classic_biggrin:

We've had many experiences with San Juan's Security & Customs.

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I was going to post something similar. Covering the peep hole is a bit unnerving but I can understand why they do it.

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Bingo

It sounds so much better when someone else says it. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Unfortunately you won’t have time to get dressed.  If it’s CPB and they want to search your room they will knock and maybe wait about 20 seconds.  If they don’t get a response they will enter.  The deadbolt on your door is useless as that is easily overridden.  

To the Op, I feel for your ordeal and it seems that you took in stride, somewhat.  S--it happens--Look what the Mueller FBI team did to poor Roger Stone.  Talk about over the top.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

To the Op, I feel for your ordeal and it seems that you took in stride, somewhat.  S--it happens--Look what the Mueller FBI team did to poor Roger Stone.  Talk about over the top.

Now, there’s a digression!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, travelwide said:

This makes the whole issue even crazier. It took five or six agents and RCI employees to guard Two men in their bathrobes and no shoes standing in the hall. Where did they think you were going to go? You've got to wonder......

And I continue to wonder how so many officers concentrated on 1 room were able to hit so many rooms if this took 45 minutes.  Dr. Emmett Brown and Marty McFly must be CBP agents nowadays. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Poor Roger Stone--Now that is funny!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

This is not fake news . This is news  brought to internationals from all over the world. ICE agents sat on 528 profiling and checking workers truck, checking for green cards. Not fake news, real workers who stopped going to work bc they were so frightened, even those with green cards. About half this thread is Florida and Part Canaveral area, were you aware? No I am guessing. 

ICE did not knock on the OP's door, and ICE does not perform border security.  I do realize the fake news has been spreading a lot of false rumors in their war against ICE and the fickle general public is believing it, but it does not make it true.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The asininity quotient of the posts has soared since my last post six pages ago.  🤨

Trickie Dickie, I bow low to your equanimity.  You have kept your cool and your sense of self throughout some of the most absurd posts.  I apologize if any of my words annoyed you.  This situation is not funny, not "normal" (even if not rare), and not to be dismissed lightly "if it happens to you".

Like most people, I have been manhandled by security agents, in my case, TSA. After the famous "list cruise" on the Crown Princess in 2006 (long time posters will remember my posts about it), we all had to hurriedly pack, get off the ship and fly home, despite the fact that most of us had driven to the departure port.  Apparently I had forgotten that I had a corkscrew in one of my makeup bags, and the scanner caught something "suspicious".  The TSA agent RANSACKED my bag.  Made a total mess of it.  As he yanked a skirt out of the bag, a pair of my earrings flew out of the pocket.  I was momentarily delighted, because I thought that I had lost them.  I reached out to grab them midair and HE HIT ME.  He smacked my hand away and yelled, "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING."  

(not that the TSA agent was responsible for this or anything, but I burst into tears at that point.  I had just escaped an almost near-death situation, and was at the breaking point)

I was stunned.  And he passed back my bag with everything lying around it on the table.

So, back to Trickie Dickie.  Thank you for posting your experience.  It is a sobering reminder that some people make life difficult for the rest of us.

I hope that both cruises were fun for you, even with all of this.

And to some of you...……………….<SMH>  (and you won't even know who you are)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

So what do you do when there is pounding on your door and the peephole has been covered?

I would not open my door.  No way.  There has been too much violent crime on cruise ships and in hotels. Not until they calmly identify themselves and I am satisfied that security on the phone agrees.  Or they break down the door.

If there are two of you in the room:  One stays at the door and yells back you want ID at the peephole and the head of ship security present. But stand far enough away for the door to open suddenly.

Second person runs to the phone, calls 911 or whatever is the emergency number, and makes it clear you are UNDER ATTACK AT YOUR CABIN DOOR SEND SECURITY URGENT.  Then they go to the safe and get your passports out if there is time.  Grab paper and pen if there is time.

Keep your hands where they can see them.

If they separate you from the search yell loudly, and repeatedly, you want to be present for the search to prevent false evidence from being placed.  Keep saying it. Ask neighbors to video the scene and send you the video.

Answer simple questions. Where do you live, what country is your citizenship, etc. But do not answer confusing questions.  They may be entrapment.  Feel free to remind them that damage or loss of valuables or medication will result in a claim. Or that you will file a claim for air tickets if you miss your flight.

Take the name and ID number of every agent present.  Be calm and serious. They won't like it and are more likely to be cooperative when you are not intimidated and not acting guilty.

By the way, the more doors they break down the more the cruise line will ask them to behave with civility, as they are going to file claims for those doors too.

You might want to have a look at post #250.

Also note that somebody from ship's security was with the people knocking on the door.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

So what do you do when there is pounding on your door and the peephole has been covered?

I would not open my door.  No way.  There has been too much violent crime on cruise ships and in hotels. Not until they calmly identify themselves and I am satisfied that security on the phone agrees.  Or they break down the door.

If there are two of you in the room:  One stays at the door and yells back you want ID at the peephole and the head of ship security present. But stand far enough away for the door to open suddenly.

Second person runs to the phone, calls 911 or whatever is the emergency number, and makes it clear you are UNDER ATTACK AT YOUR CABIN DOOR SEND SECURITY URGENT.  Then they go to the safe and get your passports out if there is time.  Grab paper and pen if there is time.

If they separate you from the search yell loudly, and repeatedly, you want to be present for the search to prevent false evidence from being placed.  Keep saying it. Ask neighbors to video the scene and send you the video.

Answer simple questions. Where do you live, what country is your citizenship, etc. But do not answer confusing questions.  They may be entrapment.  Feel free to remind them that damage or loss of valuables or medication will result in a claim. Or that you will file a claim for air tickets if you miss your flight.

Take the name and ID number of every agent present.  Be calm and serious. They won't like it and are more likely to be cooperative when you are not intimidated and not acting guilty.

By the way, the more doors they break down the more the cruise line will ask them to behave with civility, as they are going to file claims for those doors too.

All of this is very easy to type when you are sitting behind your keyboard, total different situation when you have someone banging on your door.  The door would have been opened way before you could do half of what you are saying.  If you start yelling, you are going to find yourself on the ground.  Common sense, follow directions as the OP did.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

As stated, they don't need to break a door down, no matter what you try to do.  Security's "hard key" overrides everything on your door, and they can simply open the door.  Also, under the RCI ticket contract, you agree that "In the interests of safety and security, Passengers and their baggage are subject to inspection or monitoring electronically with or without the Passenger's consent or knowledge."  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

All of this is very easy to type when you are sitting behind your keyboard, total different situation when you have someone banging on your door.  The door would have been opened way before you could do half of what you are saying.  If you start yelling, you are going to find yourself on the ground.  Common sense, follow directions as the OP did.

Agreed.  There's so much in PelicanBill's post that it's almost funny what he expects to be able to do.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Like most people, I have been manhandled by security agents, in my case, TSA. After the famous "list cruise" on the Crown Princess in 2006 (long time posters will remember my posts about it), we all had to hurriedly pack, get off the ship and fly home, despite the fact that most of us had driven to the departure port.  Apparently I had forgotten that I had a corkscrew in one of my makeup bags, and the scanner caught something "suspicious".  The TSA agent RANSACKED my bag.  Made a total mess of it.  As he yanked a skirt out of the bag, a pair of my earrings flew out of the pocket.  I was momentarily delighted, because I thought that I had lost them.  I reached out to grab them midair and HE HIT ME.  He smacked my hand away and yelled, "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING."  

Wow!  He hit you???!!!  That's totally unacceptable.  I know you, so I know what you say is true.  

In case anyone didn't know, you can go to the DHS-OIG (Department of Homeland Security - Office of Inspector General) website and file complaints on DHS components.  This is a manner of going over the offending agency's head to the people who actually investigate wrongdoing within the Department.  If you do so, provide as much info as possible and if you're willing, do not do so anonymously.  

This is also a hint for the OP.  If you feel their actions were heavy-handed, file a complaint with DHS-OIG.  Just do yourself a favor and focus on things like there being 9 agents, etc.  I wouldn't focus on the fact that the incident occurred because if the focus is on something that was under their legal authority, the complaint will be immediately tossed as "unfounded."  Focus not he manner in which it occurred.  

• Like 3

Also note that somebody from ship's security was with the people knocking on the door.

How would they know ships security was there Slick? I wouldn’t just open the door, I would ask who it was. If security is there then I would let them open the door as they have the master key if I was not convinced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Aquahound said:

Wow!  He hit you???!!!  That's totally unacceptable.  I know you, so I know what you say is true.  

"He smacked my hand away" is a far cry from "he hit you?".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

With the peephole covered. Not knocking. POUNDING.  I would assume hiding their identify is an attack. This happens in hotels every day.

My guess is that they pick back to back cruisers because you are not going through customs in that port, but the other travelers who are leaving the ship will go through customs off the ship. So in theory a btb traveler could have picked up contraband and brought it on the ship.  They probably have some criteria for randomness, like searching btb travelers in even numbered rooms or something like that. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

LOL

guess what?

you'd be standing in the hallway in your bath robe in 2 minutes just like the OP.

• Like 2