First cruise and question about multi-tools w/knife

MK408

Hi everyone,

I'm going on my first cruise this coming weekend on the Grand Princess to Alaska. I want to bring my multi-tool with me and was wondering if anyone has done the same.

Here's the multi-tool. It has two blades, each 2.25 inches.

https://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools/Butterfly-Opening/Truss_31-003304

I read their FAQ and it looks like I'm OK but I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience to the contrary.

"Flick knives, gravity knives, switchblades or lock knives. Small locking pocket knives with blade lengths less than 6.35 cm (2 ½ inches) and widths ½ inch or less are allowed."

Thanks in advance!

They also make mention further down the prohibited list referencing tools of the trade, wrenches etc greater than 7 inches in length.

I agree that you will be okay. I would check it, though, so as to avoid any nonsense with the port security folks.

My husband had his Leatherman multi-tool confiscated in Long Beach prior to boarding the Coral last March.  We were able to store it at the "cruise store" when we returned for a $5 fee.  Fortunately, this was a round-trip cruise so we didn't lose it.

2 hours ago, MK408 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm going on my first cruise this coming weekend on the Grand Princess to Alaska. I want to bring my multi-tool with me and was wondering if anyone has done the same.

I read their FAQ and it looks like I'm OK but I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience to the contrary.

"Flick knives, gravity knives, switchblades or lock knives. Small locking pocket knives with blade lengths less than 6.35 cm (2 ½ inches) and widths ½ inch or less are allowed."

Thanks in advance!

Like TSA rules,  ship’s security makes the ultimate decision about allowing any item:  “The Ship Security Officer and Staff Captain are authorized to make a professional judgment as to the legality of any item, declared, detected or discovered”.

I’d recommend bringing the statement you quoted which I do sometimes in case there’s a question about allowing something on a ship or on an aircraft.

In late April we boarded the Royal Princess in LA & in a checked bag had a pair of deboning scissors to take to our Maui home.  Security held them until the afternoon of our final day before arriving in Vancouver where they were put in a checked bag to fly to Maui.

Apparently they exceeded the 4” length for scissors & we got lucky that they held them & didn’t discard them:  “Prohibited items will not be allowed or stored onboard the vessel with no exceptions”.  With a pair of scissors they apparently had some discretion to hold them despite that statement.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I travel with a Leatherman with a 3" blade.  I also travel with a portable fishing rod and various support gear.  They always manage to detect it in my back pack when coming back from port.  A conversation often ensues and after measuring the blade they invariably give it back to me, only to go through the same exercise at the next port of call.  They say 3" is the limit and that I am good to go.  I've done about 20 Princess cruises with no issue.  I've done about 5 RCL cruises and did have it confiscated on one of them.  It was returned at the gang plank when I disembarked.   If I didn't have this with me I'd have to rename myself, "non-fishin' musician" as there are too many toothy fish out there.  I've never had an issue with it being in my checked bag.

Edited by fishin' musician

DH always has a small pocket knife along and it has never been a problem.

(He does check it in the suitcase for the plane.)

Last summer in port (Genoa maybe?), he purchased a couple of small paring knives. I warned him that they might take them away from him, but he thought it would work out.... 

He was right. They did take them, but were very nice about it and had a nice system for giving them back when we disembarked the cruise.

YMMV

My DH had his Leatherman confiscated on May 25 while boarding the Crown Princess.  He got called to the naughty room after we had already boarded.  They said he couldn't take it on board because it had a 'fixed blade'.  He's taken that kit on dozens of cruises and thru TSA who knows how many times but has just now been called out on it.  Totally unpredictable. And no, he did not get the kit back since it never made it onto the ship. It's a good thing he had it for the 2 days prior to our boarding in Southampton because the wheels on my suitcase were torn off dragging it along the cobble streets from the National Express station to the Holiday Inn - we thought it was just a short walk (not!)

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

I feel naked without a multi-tool of some kind and have always carried one. I want to bring one on my excursions; especially the kayaking one that I've booked. I have another multi-tool without a knife so I'll probably bring that instead to play it safe after reading some of your experiences. My other one is a Leatherman Style PS like this...

https://www.leatherman.com/style-ps-25.html?dwvar_25_color=11&cgid=multi-tools#prefn1=tools_included&expanded=tools_included&sz=100&start=1&prefv1=2

I also have checked my Leatherman on many times with no problem. Last time I made the mistake of moving it to carry on and it was flagged. Pleaded to security and was left with two options. Mail it home, not a round trip cruise, or kiss it good bye. Told the lady at security to give it to her husband. "Sorry not allowed", whatever!

18 hours ago, MK408 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Princess sells something similar to what you have in their shops.  I bought two of them for around $10.00.  They sure do come in handy for a variety of things in the cabin.  Used it a few times to get the bottle cap off of a bottle on the minibar.  Also, I bring a pair of scissors with me and use it every cruise for something.  Heck, you even get a real sharp steak knife in the Steak House, what harm could your tool be?

OP should be fine putting in checked luggage UNLESS they are sailing out of Southampton in which case I would say leave it home as they are super strict and have excellent x-ray of the luggage before it even makes to the ship.  If they find it you will be given choice to toss it or mail home to yourself.  In 2016 the cost for postage to US was 35 pounds.  Leatherman got tossed.

As to why I carry such an item on a cruise - for one thing I'm just used to having it with me after many years of using it/having it as part of my uniform and then I have used it to tighten any number of screws that have come loose on things, cut limes for drinks, open bottles, open cans, pulled nails/tacks from bottom of shoe/heel, filed a sharp edge, etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fishin' musician said:

It was returned at the gang plank when I disembarked.

Arrr, matey, it be a gangway not a gangplank...unless ye be cruising with Cap'n Bluebeard and his scurvy crew of rapscallions...they often make ye walk a gangplank!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist that. :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Tom

• Haha 1

I carry a magnifying glass in my backpack.  One time, Princess security stopped me for it.   It looked like at weapon on the X-Ray, to them.    I did get to keep it, but it goes to show that you never know.

go figure🙂🌠😌🛥🍳🍳🌅🌄🔎

On 6/10/2019 at 6:52 PM, Potstech said:

Always take one in my checked luggage and never had a problem.  It has come in handy on several occasions.  I do not try to take it on and off the ship in any ports.

Same with me. Always in my checked luggage along with my screwdriver set, scissors, and nail clippers.

One never knows when you need pliers, a file, a saw, etc. A leatherman is a very handy tool to have

Howard

On 6/11/2019 at 9:49 AM, BabySarge said:

OP should be fine putting in checked luggage UNLESS they are sailing out of Southampton in which case I would say leave it home as they are super strict and have excellent x-ray of the luggage before it even makes to the ship.  If they find it you will be given choice to toss it or mail home to yourself.  In 2016 the cost for postage to US was 35 pounds.  Leatherman got tossed.

As to why I carry such an item on a cruise - for one thing I'm just used to having it with me after many years of using it/having it as part of my uniform and then I have used it to tighten any number of screws that have come loose on things, cut limes for drinks, open bottles, open cans, pulled nails/tacks from bottom of shoe/heel, filed a sharp edge, etc.

Lost my Leatherman in Southampton also, seems as if the UK only allows blades of 2 inch or less if they don't lock, 2.5 inch if it locks  (this one had 3 inch locked blade). And this was after carrying in checked luggage for 15+ cruises. And this was the Port security, not Princess peeps

We always put a multi tool in our checked luggage.  After 20+ cruises with all ok, last year when we boarded in Southampton we got called to the luggage room before we boarded. After much discussion they finally gave it to the security officer on the Sapphire Princess for his determination if we could keep it.  Two days after we boarded we met with the officer and explained my husband needs it for repairs to his mobility scooter. He made us sign for it and then returned it to us.

Prior to us bringing it on a regular basis, the airline broke his scooter and we had no tools with us.  We tried to get tools from the engineering dept but it was extremely difficult and we wasted time of our vacation to work on it.  After that we started bringing our own tool(s).  Southampton was the only place we’ve ever had an issue.

On 6/10/2019 at 3:27 PM, Diver2014 said:

My DH had his Leatherman confiscated on May 25 while boarding the Crown Princess.  He got called to the naughty room after we had already boarded.  They said he couldn't take it on board because it had a 'fixed blade'.

I've never heard of a Leatherman with a "fixed blade". They all have folding blades.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:48 AM, elliair said:

Heck, you even get a real sharp steak knife in the Steak House, what harm could your tool be?

Really? All I've ever gotten is a stupidly large knife with a fairly dull serrated blade that tends to shred my steak rather than cutting it properly. I freaking despise the knives they give you in Crown Grill and Bayou Cafe!

I'm always totally amazed at the "security" features that prohibit small knives and such. One can take knitting needles anywhere without a problem. One can sharpen the edge of a credit card to an extremely sharp edge. Nobody checks. Try taking the smallest Swiss Army Knife on a plane (or into a courthouse or even on a freaking Greyhound bus!) and watch them freak out. Stupid.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I've never heard of a Leatherman with a "fixed blade". They all have folding blades.

That's what I thought.  But they insisted it was too big.  You probably couldn't have stabbed a toad to death with it.

• Haha 1