When an upgrade is not an upgrade

Kruisn'Kay

I booked a balcony room and was “upgraded” to an accessible enclosed balcony. This is not an upgrade to me. NCL did not ask if I wanted this room, they just chose it. I’m not happy about it  because I do not want an enclosed balcony. Has anyone had any luck getting their room location moved within 3 weeks of sailing? So far, I’ve had no luck calling in.

If you booked a balcony guarantee or a balcony sailaway guarantee their is nothing you can really do other than call put on your nicest sweetest voice and ask to be changed since you had agreeded to any balcony that's what you got.  Now if you booked a example ba and had picked out your cabin and now they moved you to a different cabin that's a different story, and I would call and get that changed.  We actually picked a hull balcony or enclosed balcony as they are called on the epic, it was quite nice, more protection from wind but you did have to stand up if you wanted to see the water, good luck 

• Like 1

I picked a specific balcony category (BF) on floor 9 or 10. This room is technically more expensive, so that is why they called it an upgrade. The first time I called, the lady said that all of the balconies are sold out and that she could put in a request. Which has resulted in nothing. Then, I called my cruise consultant and he said that their new software is so messed up that it’s difficult to do anything. So far, no real answers from anyone. Annoying because I don’t have flights either due to their new software. 

Almost every time I’ve booked a sail away or guaranteed rate I’m assigned an accessible room.  I think they’re held out of the booking pool as long as possible for those that need them. If no need, they’re given out at last minute to sail away/gt assignments. It’s the luck of the draw when you agree to the terms and pretty clearly spelled out that it’s any stateroom your category or higher. I’m fine with whatever balcony room, given the excellent savings. The accessible rooms are twice the size of regular balconies and location is typically near elevator. one thing you could do is ask to pay to upgrade to a higher category ie pick a perk and stateroom number might only be a little bit more $.  If not, there’s always a small chance someone in need of the room could bump you at the last minute. 

10 hours ago, Kruisn'Kay said:

I picked a specific balcony category (BF) on floor 9 or 10. This room is technically more expensive, so that is why they called it an upgrade. The first time I called, the lady said that all of the balconies are sold out and that she could put in a request. Which has resulted in nothing. Then, I called my cruise consultant and he said that their new software is so messed up that it’s difficult to do anything. So far, no real answers from anyone. Annoying because I don’t have flights either due to their new software. 

You either book a specific cabin number, or it’s a guarantee, and they can move you to a higher category even if you don’t think it’s a better cabin. There is no such thing as booking a specific category.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

You either book a specific cabin number, or it’s a guarantee, and they can move you to a higher category even if you don’t think it’s a better cabin. There is no such thing as booking a specific category.

You're right, you can't book a category.  The OP doesn't mention a room number.  I just caught that.  Sounds like the OP booked a guarantee.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

If I'm reading correctly, the OP did not select a sail away or guarantee stateroom.  She selected her category and room on either decks 9 or 10.  I'm not sure why NCL would just "upgrade" this room without first contacting the passenger.  We always select our stateroom and I wouldn't be very happy if I was suddenly "upgraded" to something I didn't want or consider an upgrade.  OP, if you booked through a travel agent, I would give them a call and put them on this to get it figured out.  If you booked directly with NCL, keep calling them until you get some answers.

There is no such thing as selecting a category, you either book a specific cabin number, or it’s a guarantee. I’m sorry the OP did not understand the system.

• Like 2

Typically an accessible cabin is not that much larger in the interior but the cabin door is usually

wider up to 4 inches to accommodate wheelchairs scooters. The bathroom may not have walls

around it but a shower curtain and the floor with a roll over threshold. The balcony ones the

entrance to the balcony the door will be a slider rather than one opening like a door and transit

out onto the balcony will not have a bump to get out onto the deck.

Think A-c-c-e-s-s-I-b-l-e and not an obstacle.

10 hours ago, Kruisn'Kay said:

Yes, but did you book a particular cabin # or was it a GTY in the category BF?

1 hour ago, richstowe said:

Kruisn'Kay, is this accessible cabin larger then your original cabin ? 

Looking at the bright side . 😃

Yes it is. That is the only upside, at least to me! I would rather the smaller cabin and regular balcony. 

1 hour ago, Kruisn'Kay said:

Yes it is. That is the only upside, at least to me! I would rather the smaller cabin and regular balcony. 

When you book a cabin/specific category AND room number you usually don't get moved. You paid for that exact category/room.

GTY/Sailaway rates NCL can put you wherever. There is a huge difference.

From the free air and cabin situation seems you are looking/took  the least expensive way. While not all bad ( you're on a cruise), it has it's problems.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kruisn'Kay said:

You picked a guarantee cabin, so you are pretty much stuck with what they give you. If you don't want a specific cabin type or location you need to select a specific cabin at the time of booking, not a category.

• Like 1

From ncl website, definition of gty, if you have specific requirements for example proximity to elevator or window type a guarantee is not recommended.  You have guaranteed to sail in the cabin category you have chosen or higher.  There’s a reason you paid a lower price. 

As others have mentioned the only thing you can do is either pay to upgrade or keep the cabin you have, and in future cruises if you have specific needs don’t book the cheap gty in future pay the extra to get exactly what you want.

Enjoy your vacation, the are precious and go by fast!

• Like 2

When you call and pay to upgrade, as you've suggested, do you pay the difference between what you paid originally and the price of the new room? Do you keep any perks or is it basically a cancellation and a new booking?

On 6/10/2019 at 9:49 PM, Kruisn'Kay said:

When you don't choose a cabin (even if a cabin is not available to choose when booking), NCL is guaranteeing you they will give you AT LEAST that category of balcony.  You may get "upgraded".  Unfortunately the fact that you don't like your assignment is part of the guarantee booking - you're stuck with what you get.  Just be aware of this in the future and pick a specific cabin if things like this are important to you.  In the meantime, you still have a balcony and a cruise.

P.S. - this goes for EVERY guarantee on a cruise line, not just NCL.

17 hours ago, CanadianKLM said:

When you call and pay to upgrade, as you've suggested, do you pay the difference between what you paid originally and the price of the new room? Do you keep any perks or is it basically a cancellation and a new booking?

Yes, it's the difference between what you paid for and the current price of the new room. And you get whatever perks are currently going for the room you're moving into. 

2 hours ago, MikeBTN said:

When you don't choose a cabin (even if a cabin is not available to choose when booking), NCL is guaranteeing you they will give you AT LEAST that category of balcony.  You may get "upgraded".  Unfortunately the fact that you don't like your assignment is part of the guarantee booking - you're stuck with what you get.  Just be aware of this in the future and pick a specific cabin if things like this are important to you.  In the meantime, you still have a balcony and a cruise.

P.S. - this goes for EVERY guarantee on a cruise line, not just NCL.

This is very good to know for the future! I usually pick a room, so I have learned a lesson about what a “guarantee” is. I am still super excited for my first Mediterranean cruise and I will not let this ruin my very expensive vacation for me! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

From ncl website, definition of gty, if you have specific requirements for example proximity to elevator or window type a guarantee is not recommended.  You have guaranteed to sail in the cabin category you have chosen or higher.  There’s a reason you paid a lower price. 

As others have mentioned the only thing you can do is either pay to upgrade or keep the cabin you have, and in future cruises if you have specific needs don’t book the cheap gty in future pay the extra to get exactly what you want.

Enjoy your vacation, the are precious and go by fast!

Thank you! I am not the kind of person that lets something like this ruin my vacation! 🙂 I will enjoy every second on the Mediterranean!! This is just a good lesson to learn for the future!

• Like 1