Caribbean itinerary

Probably Eastern Caribbean. The ports are nicer with shopping and sightseeing. St. Thomas, St. Maarten, etc.  Western seems to have more adventure activities. Enjoy!

And welcome to Cruise Critic! :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc

It depends on what you enjoy doing

Been to the Caribbean many many times - roughly same age range.  For a 7 day cruise,  I do not like the Eastern - the ports are not as nice.  I greatly prefer the Western.

St Thomas - I guess if you like shopping, this is for you.  I am not on vacation to shop.  Beaches are OK - best option is the ferry to St Johns.  

St Maarten - ehhhhh

Grand Cayman is great 

I enjoy Cozumel a lot - you have different options of things to do there - beach, sightseeing, food, drink, shopping

Costa Maya - If you want a laid back beach place - get out of the port area and visit the little town 10 minutes away

If you do have a chance to do a longer than 7 day cruise, the Southern Caribbean is really good

Edited by Maverick61

5 hours ago, SomewhereCruise said:

We have never been to Caribbean before and are planning one for this Xmas. Which Caribbean itinerary is better for a couple at their 60s? This is a vague question but any suggestions will be appreciated. 

Any, I see no correlation between itinerary and age.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Eastern, Western, Southern.  If you have never been to the Caribbean, you can't go wrong.

Agree. We've done all of them more than once...enjoyed them all.

Given the choice...we liked them in this order:  Southern, Eastern, Western...but they're all good.

I would choose the Southern Caribbean first, then Eastern and my last choice is Western. In my opinion the Southern route gives the best Caribbean "feel". The islands are prettier and so are the beaches.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Depends on what you are looking for.

Beaches

Shopping

Excursions

Activity level

Port of departure

Length and dates of cruise

Eastern offers the most as far as itineraries,

Southern is great if leaving from Puerto Rico is acceptable

Western is Okay but not my preference.

For the most part the ports and islands are geared to providing all of the above and are basically very similar.

Almost all of the ports of call can deliver the above, some more than others.

The Ports of call section on this website will give you a good idea as to what each port has to offer and may fit your desires.

Search Youtube for ideas. Search  "cruise to XXXX" and get a look at what others have experienced.

"First time to Caribbean" will be a wonderful experience and be one to cherish.

We have been cruising the Caribbean for 20 years and ALWAYS find something new to see or do no matter how many times we visit each port.

I love the Southern itinerary.  The ABC islands have a great vibe and beautiful beaches. 

Bonaire is one of the best places anywhere to snorkel.  If you do not like to do that take a tour and see the salt flats and the flamingos in the national park.  

Curacao feels a little European with a Caribbean mix.  The capital city has beautifully colorful houses. and a swinging bridge in the harbor.  Aruba has beautiful beaches. 

You often have long port times since the islands are so close to each other. 

• Like 1

If you do look at sailing out of San Juan, factor in the airfare. We can fly LAX to London Heathrow for less than Fort Lauderdale to SJU. That was a big bite to swallow! With two or three flying from California -- the best fare (looking at January 2020) was a Delta redeye connecting at JFK.

10 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

If you do look at sailing out of San Juan, factor in the airfare. We can fly LAX to London Heathrow for less than Fort Lauderdale to SJU. That was a big bite to swallow! With two or three flying from California -- the best fare (looking at January 2020) was a Delta redeye connecting at JFK.

Not always true for us. We've gotten some great first class flights on AA from LAX-SJU connecting in DFW & MIA always booking early.

14 hours ago, Ashland said:

Not always true for us. We've gotten some great first class flights on AA from LAX-SJU connecting in DFW & MIA always booking early.

But you had to fly AA. 😄

23 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'll keep looking as it gets closer (Jan2021 obviously not published yet). Thanks for the tip!

Southern out of San Juan.  By far our favorite Itin.  Take Freedom and do St Kitts (only one we really don't care about), St Marteen, Antigua ( my favorite) St lucia (husbands favorite) and Barbados.  Just such an amazing itin.  We cannot do it enough, never get tired of those islands

Not to mention than San Juan is amazing!!!

Edited by karena1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SRF said:

But you had to fly AA. 😄

No I didn't "have" to but it was a great option not only for the pricing & flight times but those "pod" type seats in first class were the best :classic_laugh:

On 6/20/2019 at 6:39 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Given the choice...we liked them in this order:  Southern, Eastern, Western...but they're all good.

This question has been asked several times before and the consensus answer always seems to be the above.  We just did the ABC islands (Southern...Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) out of SJ and liked it even better than the St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua run (which had previously been our favorite).  Pick whichever cruise (eastern, western, or southern) fits best for timing and cost...they're all good.  Just be sure to fly to your departure port at least 1 day early.

• Like 2