Booked first cruise not in a balcony. Will it be okay?

PortFees45

I've been on 15+ cruises, always with at least a balcony. 

This morning I saw a $649 solo rate (no supplement) for the 6/30 Escape sailing to Bermuda. I'd normally never book an inside, but for 4th of July week you really can't beat that price. 

So it's a first time to Bermuda AND a first time in a Balcony. I figure the summer weather will make an inside room more tolerable than the colder months when you're buttoned up inside the ship. Any other balcony devotees ever slummed it for a good inside rate? 

How do you normally spend your days? When I sail solo I get pretty bored on a balcony by myself, and I can see the ocean many other places on the ship, both inside and out. (Prefer the thermal suite, not a sun worshipper.) So ... studio is fine for me, when solo. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

You'll survive like so many thousands of others have ..... unless maybe you spend 24/7 on your balcony usually.  Money saved, look at it that way .....

Not 24/7, but I log a ton of hours on the balcony. When I'm on a cruise I want two things 1.) quiet 2.) view of the water

I figure home base this time will have to be the Waterfront. 

• Like 1

For us it's always all about price - we book whatever type of cabin fits our budget at that particular time.  We've sailed in practically every category (never the Haven on NCL though - that would never be worth it to us). Of course a balcony is better, even if you don't spend much time there.  That said, for peaceful sleep you honestly can't beat an inside (you'll see what I mean) and we've always had really great service from our stewards when we're in "steerage". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

This morning I saw a $649 solo rate (no supplement) for the 6/30 Escape sailing to Bermuda. I'd normally never book an inside, but for 4th of July week you really can't beat that price. 

So it's a first time to Bermuda AND a first time in a Balcony. I figure the summer weather will make an inside room more tolerable than the colder months when you're buttoned up inside the ship. Any other balcony devotees ever slummed it for a good inside rate? 

well  we have almost always since balconies became a big thing booked a balcony. At first hubby said it was necessary and a waste of money. Now, he doesn't want anything less. We have done 2 outside cabins in a row and now are back to balconies.. As for inside, done it twice, always because of price. It is workable, you are talking a 7 day cruise and yes, you can't beat the price, but be prepared to spend most of your time anywhere but in your cabin. Remember,  there are some who always choose inside and allow their budget a rest so they can spend more money on other things or take more cruises. You make what you have to out of your choice. 

• Like 1

We always book balconies and prefer the aft.  We are looking at cruising Alaska next year and are considering an inside or oceanview.  On warm weather cruises we use the balcony all of the time but other than seeing Glacier Bay on our balcony I would not see much use in having one.  I do not like cold.....Also we could use the money we save on the cabin to really enjoy seeing Alaska off the ship.  It is a hard decision and I keep going back and forth..

16 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

You are not going to be happy at all.

Just now, PortFees45 said:

Thanks for the feedback

You are going to be fine.  While I usually book balconies and mini suites, I once booked a cruise that had only one cabin left on the ship and it was an inside.  Super quiet, and I had to set an alarm to make sure I got up in time for my excursions!  The price alone would make me happy!!! I cruise twice a year, and this year I will be spending two weeks in an inside cabin on the holiday cruise out of NYC.  (BTW, this is my 32nd cruise on NCL).  Being single myself, I rarely sit in my room and would rather grab a book and head to an outdoor bar for a cocktail as opposed to sitting on my deck.  Enjoy, and I think you will have a  great time in Bermuda! 

You will survive ! And spend very little time in your cabin. But $$$ talks.

We are balcony folks and very frequent cruisers. But a few years ago I enticed my husband into a last minute cruise inside cabin because of the great price. The other option was not going at all! We spent a lot more time in public places.

You will be fine. We did the same thing last year on a last minute cruise. You don’t say where you’re located but we spent a lot of time on 8, in the quiet chairs on the water.  Better than a balcony really. 

18 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

The Escape has a fair amount of ocean facing outside space.  The Waterfront is lovely,  and segmented so you can really feel like you are somewhat  by yourself wherever you are sitting

I remember thinking that i would have been fine without a balcony because of the waterfront.

• Like 1

I travel solo, and always go with an inside.  I spend very little time in my room so I don't feel like I'm missing anything without the balcony, and the insides are plenty big enough for one person.  I absolutely love being able to go completely dark for those afternoon naps

We were always in balcony cabins, then we tried an ocean view. It was ok but window over the bed. Could not look out it anyway. Then tried an inside. It was great. Never missed the balcony. Got us out in the public areas more which we found we liked better than sitting on our balcony. Won’t be paying for that balcony again unless we score a good deal on an upgrade bid.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:12 AM, TSUmom said:

We always book balconies and prefer the aft.  We are looking at cruising Alaska next year and are considering an inside or oceanview.  On warm weather cruises we use the balcony all of the time but other than seeing Glacier Bay on our balcony I would not see much use in having one.  I do not like cold.....Also we could use the money we save on the cabin to really enjoy seeing Alaska off the ship.  It is a hard decision and I keep going back and forth..

Alaska is and always has been a balcony only cruise. No crowds to try and get through to see things and you are almost always in sight of land.

I have a hard time with cabins with no balcony. It is because I get seasick and also get a

closed in feeling. However my daughter did an inside with four people

(to Bermuda)and was perfectly fine. This is a question only you can answer. For the record getting a great price like

you did I might try it myself even.

Well THANK THE CRUISE GODS I got upgraded to a balcony. Made a $150 bid (so $300 total), which comes out to $999 for a solo balcony on the Escape to Bermuda over the 4th of July holiday. Throw in the CruiseNext voucher I used, and it's $750. Tough to beat that!

• Like 3

Determine how often you used the balcony on other cruises. Most people I talk to use it for morning coffee and late night relaxing. When asked if it was worth the extra cost most say not really.