Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ahendricks00

Fresh off Carribbean Princess

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

jeez - just give it up already :classic_wacko:

blah, blah, blah

 

is this DH or DW ?

 

 

Gosh. What is YOUR problem????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Sigh.......deleted.   🙄

 

good call ... I should know better about certain posters ...

 

time to update the 'ole ignore list' ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Aaaaa .... deleted for badgering the witness.

Edited by c-boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, msmoger said:

 

I can make coffee, pretty much it .... haha

 

The only thing I know is the crust needs to be thin and a little crisp.  Any of the places commonly mentioned in the "best" pizza lists in the New York area tend to follow this pattern.  However, there are many other factors and styles which are important and great.

 

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

 

Definitely not my favorite style of crust. It's not a bad thing that people aren't all the same. 🍕

 

Okay... Perhaps I should backtrack a bit. I have had pizza with crust of that type that was definitely excellent pizza. While it's not my "norm" I shouldn't have given the impression that I don't like it that way. After all, pizza is one of the great gifts of life.

 

One of my biggest beefs with Princess pizza is that the Lido deck pizza rarely seems to have much in the way of sauce which definitely affects the flavor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thrak said:

 

 

Okay... Perhaps I should backtrack a bit. I have had pizza with crust of that type that was definitely excellent pizza. While it's not my "norm" I shouldn't have given the impression that I don't like it that way. After all, pizza is one of the great gifts of life.

 

One of my biggest beefs with Princess pizza is that the Lido deck pizza rarely seems to have much in the way of sauce which definitely affects the flavor.

Exactly! That is why we always order one our way. On shore I always ask for an extra scoop of sauce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, msmoger said:

The only thing I know is the crust needs to be thin and a little crisp.  Any of the places commonly mentioned in the "best" pizza lists in the New York area tend to follow this pattern.

 

While NY Pizza may be "thin", you haven't had thin until you have had cracker thin crust.

 

I'm not a pizza snob. I enjoy any good Pizza, including NY, cracker, pan, stuffed, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc. I'll enjoy it if the crust is appropriate, tasty sauce, gooey cheese, flavorful toppings appropriately cooked.

 

I tried the pizza on the Caribbean Princess. It was pizza. I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

 

It was kind of typical of the rest of the free food on the ship. They learn how to make something ok, but very few things were worthy of "I've got to have that again". For example: They have bread that looks like a croissant. But, they haven't perfected the many flakey buttery layers. Better than Wonder Bread. However, they would go broke selling them on the streets of Paris. Funny though, they had something called Chocolate Mousse that was more like really thick pudding, something you could chew on. Then they had some other chocolate concoction that I thought: this makes a decent chocolate mousse. They should have 86'd the mousse and relabeled the other one a mousse.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

To be fair, I think the world market buffet is a huge step up from Princesses older ships and their lido buffet. Presentation and quality has definitely improved, with a wide array of selection different daily. The decor and design was smartly done, giving a warm cozy family oriented vibe.(Still incomparable to the their Royal class ships). Some unique funded in the WM are,  In the morning you can find a variety of fresh fruit / vegetable smoothie drinks. Planks and steamers are open as a normal buffet for breakfast and lunch. At steamers / planks they offer a create your own omlette station where you fill a cup with all the ingredients you'd like. For lunch which I thought was neat wAs as steamers and planks they have your make your own take meals. for example they would have a day where it was make your own stir fry and then they had a ramen noodle bar where you just put all your ingredients in a bowl new hand it to them and they cook it and they give you a pager until your meal is done. It was pretty quickly made. I just thought it was very unique. each day at the world market it's a different destination theme. P.S. one of my most favorite food finds with the day they did Asian cuisine and they had the most amazing kung pao chicken and there vegetable spring rolls were amazing. I never really do doubles but I definitely had like triples of that it was amazing.

 

Typically on older princess ships especially those that don't have the world market usually you can find me for breakfast lunch and dinner strictly in the main dining room for sit-down meals because I can't stand the layout and the lack of variety of food. Usually I find nothing up there to my liking. but on board the caribbean princess I would just do my dinner in the main dining room cuz I was able to get along just fine for breakfast and lunch in the buffet. 

 

also keep in mind they upgraded the pizzeria to slice and they upgraded Trident grill the burgers to salty dog. So they have great selections over there as well that are unique.

 

THANK YOU!! this was helpful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 12:37 PM, msmoger said:

 

Michael,

 

Next times you guys are in the NY area look me up.  We'll answer your question first hand.  I will tell you this, it ain't necessarily about the toppings😉

 

Hope all is well.

Hello fellow New Jerseyan. You are so right!  It is definitely not the toppings as good quality cheese, veggies and meats can be found in any state in the USA. It is the quality of the crust, in my opinion, that sets NY pizza into a class all its own.  The water in the New York/New Jersey area makes the quality of our dough far superior to crust/bread made with water in other locales. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oncruisecontrol said:

Hello fellow New Jerseyan. You are so right!  It is definitely not the toppings as good quality cheese, veggies and meats can be found in any state in the USA. It is the quality of the crust, in my opinion, that sets NY pizza into a class all its own.  The water in the New York/New Jersey area makes the quality of our dough far superior to crust/bread made with water in other locales. 

The same is true in San Francisco, the bread is the best.  I asked someone what makes it so good and was told not only is it the water it's the salt air as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 9:28 PM, oncruisecontrol said:

Yikes!  That kinda scares me.  I trust the opinion of a New Yorker on pizza as I'm from New Jersey and also know good pizza.  We're going on Regal in February, and Princess' pizza was always something I raved about since our 2013 voyage on Crown Princess.  I hope Regal can get it together in the "pizza department" by February.

 Well on the Regal you have Alfredo's which makes up for it. No extra charge and it is delish! Try the Pizza Regal Princess or the Hawaiian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 12:28 PM, Thrak said:

Pizza comments amaze me. I've never had New York pizza but it seems that folks from that area feel they are the arbiters of all that is great about pizza. What makes it so good? Every time I've seen a movie where someone in New York is eating pizza it looks like a totally banal "cheese" or "extra cheese" pizza. Bleh... Is that really representative of pizza in the area? What sort of toppings, sauce, etc. make pizza in New York so great?

 

I had a fabulous pizza last night: Red Sauce, Whole-Milk Mozzarella, Salami, Premium Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Sliced Mushrooms, Mixed Onions, Black Olives, and Cheddar. I ordered with extra sauce and garlic. It made pizza on Princess look (and taste) like total cr@p.

 

I don't think I am the arbiter of what makes good pizza. People like what they like. But I have lived in various parts of the country and always come back to NY style.

 

It's like Mexican. People in Texas or California feel they know "good Mexican" and it is quite possible they do, but I am perfectly content with the tacos I get here on the east coast.

 

To answer one of your questions though, NY pizza is often plain (sauce and cheese) but that doesn't make it boring. The seasoning and the cheese quality make a huge difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pizza on Princess ships is pretty good.  Have a great day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Pizza on Princess ships is pretty good.  Have a great day.

how was the hand-tossed pizza in the buffet ?:classic_ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

voljeep;  I only ate pizza at slice out at the pool.  I saw it offered in buffet; but did not eat that.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thread stated that they did away with drink specials. Did they have any each night on your cruise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 12:06 PM, Jeter02 said:

To be fair, I think the world market buffet is a huge step up from Princesses older ships and their lido buffet. Presentation and quality has definitely improved, with a wide array of selection different daily. The decor and design was smartly done, giving a warm cozy family oriented vibe.(Still incomparable to the their Royal class ships). Some unique funded in the WM are,  In the morning you can find a variety of fresh fruit / vegetable smoothie drinks. Planks and steamers are open as a normal buffet for breakfast and lunch. At steamers / planks they offer a create your own omlette station where you fill a cup with all the ingredients you'd like. For lunch which I thought was neat wAs as steamers and planks they have your make your own take meals. for example they would have a day where it was make your own stir fry and then they had a ramen noodle bar where you just put all your ingredients in a bowl new hand it to them and they cook it and they give you a pager until your meal is done. It was pretty quickly made. I just thought it was very unique. each day at the world market it's a different destination theme. P.S. one of my most favorite food finds with the day they did Asian cuisine and they had the most amazing kung pao chicken and there vegetable spring rolls were amazing. I never really do doubles but I definitely had like triples of that it was amazing.

 

Typically on older princess ships especially those that don't have the world market usually you can find me for breakfast lunch and dinner strictly in the main dining room for sit-down meals because I can't stand the layout and the lack of variety of food. Usually I find nothing up there to my liking. but on board the caribbean princess I would just do my dinner in the main dining room cuz I was able to get along just fine for breakfast and lunch in the buffet. 

 

also keep in mind they upgraded the pizzeria to slice and they upgraded Trident grill the burgers to salty dog. So they have great selections over there as well that are unique.

I agree with everything you stated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

I agree with everything you stated.  

Unless they've improved on their food preparation there are a few of us who don't agree. Many items on the CB's WFM left a lot to be desired compared to the older arrangement.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nukesubsailor,  I agree with you about world fresh market.  Lots of selections; it is set up nice; so you don't have to bunch up in one area.  Every day that have two or three specials for lunch; especially if you head all the way back to where Planks is located.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We enjoyed the world market place very much  and agree with AF-1 😎

Edited by liamur14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pizza - it's the love that's put into the dough, the starter for the dough, the sauce, the flour, and the quality of the ingredients. It's not the location. It's a craft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

Pizza - it's the love that's put into the dough, the starter for the dough, the sauce, the flour, and the quality of the ingredients. It's not the location. It's a craft.

Totally agree. On the Celebrity Equinox on two different evenings someone else was making the pizzas and they were terrible. The regular person made excellent pizza. Watching him, he had a certain way of making them and watching them in the oven. He would put them on a pan and put them in the oven. At a certain point he would remove the pan so the pizza would sit in the oven a little longer and then remove it. Those that he made were excellent. Always a line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TwocruisersfromMA said:

How is the saino? Are there new slot machines? Are you able to do puzzles in the library?

Thanks

No tables in the library. I don't believe there is a place where you can start a puzzle and leave it for others to work on also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...