Tell me all the good things about Medallion cruises

fluffybunny22

I totally get the concept of medallion because we frequent Disney and they seem to be the same thing as their magic bands. Last night on his way home from work my husband talked to his parents who are sailing with us on the Sky and my FIL said he heard bad things about medallions. No specifics on what these bad things might be. He apparently doesn't want to wear it. So he's going to put it in his pocket. I told my husband about how you can order a drink using the app and they'll deliver it using your medallion to locate you. What are some other selling points of the medallion in case this comes up again.

1. Embarkation registration (after waiting in line for security) can be cut from 2hrs to 2mins.

2. able to msg and locate people you are sailing with

3. keyless door unlocking for when you are carrying a plate of pizza in one hand and buffet food in the other.

4. all ships with medallion has medallionnet, the fast and reasonably priced wifi

5. ordering drinks/items and have it brought to you

59 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

He apparently doesn't want to wear it. So he's going to put it in his pocket. 

He doesn't have to wear it. My husband keeps his in the plastic case in his pocket and only takes it out when he has to use it, like for embarkation/disembarkation in ports. Just like he did with his cruise card.

Edited by idahospud

Only two benefits we've found so far:

1.  Check-in was ridiculously quick

2.  Internet speed was similar to normal land-based wifi (or slightly slower at sea)

DH refuses to be "tagged" with a lanyard or watch band.  He just put his in his pocket.  I don't know how he didn't lose it.  I bought the iFit bands (4 for under $8) on Amazon but they didn't work quite as well as the $12 Princess one I later bought onboard.

1 hour ago, idahospud said:

He doesn't have to wear it. My husband keeps his in the plastic case in his pocket and only takes it out when he has to use it, like for embarkation/disembarkation in ports. Just like he did with his cruise card.

The only problem with that is that on our last 2 Medallion cruises the Medallion had to be placed next to the door sensor to trigger it.

It sort of defeats any advantage of having a Medallion in a handy place. 

Having it on a lanyard or a clip holder makes life much easier.

1 hour ago, OceanPrince said:

1. Embarkation registration (after waiting in line for security) can be cut from 2hrs to 2mins.

3. keyless door unlocking for when you are carrying a plate of pizza in one hand and buffet food in the other.

4. all ships with medallion has medallionnet, the fast and reasonably priced wifi

You wait in line for security when checking in? For what reason?

23 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

The only problem with that is that on our last 2 Medallion cruises the Medallion had to be placed next to the door sensor to trigger it.

It sort of defeats any advantage of having a Medallion in a handy place. 

Having it on a lanyard or a clip holder makes life much easier.

Maybe it has to do with the thickness of the pants pockets? I know my husband didn't have to pull it out of his pocket to open the door.

Yea, to all of the above, but what about walking into one of the retail stores and having a clerk acknowledge you by name and having your picture/name displayed on a screen?  What about everyone and anyone knowing where you are at any time.

I personally do not like those ideas and will probably when I board  later this month, go to guest services and ask them to give me a cruise card instead and turn off the medallion so all of the above won't be happening.  Just tapping the cruise card on the ipad to open your door is no big thing and I would personally just use the medallion for that and nothing else.  The Princess contract says I should be able to do this, so just hoping I can.

Pooh

• Like 3

We were on our first Medallion cruise in May. I really enjoyed interacting with my little sea creature avatar that I created with one of the Ocean Ready apps - it's meant for children, but the sea creature is supposed to appear when you wander by one of the tv screens that are in the elevator lobbies or around the ship. However, I would often be disappointed because I wouldn't see my little guy and my husband's creature would pop up immediately.... Then I realized the problem - I kept my medallion in an RFID protected clutch... the medallion couldn't be read until I removed it (Facepalm).

The medallion functions very similar as your cruise card... you don't have to wear it, you can keep it in your pocket or purse and you don't have to use any of the apps if you don't want to... If you do want to see how it can function and all the cool stuff the apps offer, they have helpful people to assist you. Be sure the upgrade your internet plan to unlimited internet... it is so much more convenient!

2 hours ago, idahospud said:

Maybe it has to do with the thickness of the pants pockets? I know my husband didn't have to pull it out of his pocket to open the door.

I think it's just that some Medallions put out a stronger signal than others. We switched Medallions & he had no problem approaching the door in the morning with 2 coffees using my Medallion. 

We've had the same problem on two different ships.

Just wanting to add a little color to the great dialogue happening here...

@Wandering_star is exactly right. Guests electing to block the capabilities of their Medallion by using an RFID blocker will have difficulty being sensed in public areas and unlocking their cabin door upon approach. 

As for not wanting to be found by your shipmates, pls note that OceanCompass includes a feature that allows you to conceal your location. Its in the "settings" area within OceanCompass on your smart device (accessed by touching on your profile pic) and then using the toggle adjacent to "Hide my location from guests". Pls note that OceanCompass mobile can only be accessed once you're on board.

You can also control your "locate-ability" per shipmate, so that you could always be seen by some (like your DH @fluffybunny22 ) and maybe not a new friend you added as a shipmate after meeting them on board. 

• Like 2

I'm on the Royal right now, we are just about to pull out of Juneau.

As for the Medallion, boarding was quick although the line where people had not set up Ocean Ready was much shorter, so getting "prepared" had little benefit. The technology is handy when opening the cabin door is useful, especially if you have hands full. I only use Ocean Conceirge with it and this is great for checking accounts, daily events etc.  I have  no interest in the other apps even though i set them up. Sometimes at the bar the staff seem to take ages to tap in a heap of info before you tag your medallion on a reader. Other times it is tap and go and it is very quick.

Finally, to the few that said the Royal was too big for Alaska, nup. I've spoken to a few on here that have cruised Alaska on other Priness ships and they all say the Royal is great. This may be helped by the fact that the weather has been almost cloudless until today.

9 hours ago, OceanPrince said:

There's a big caveat on #4:  Medallion ships get new uplink antennae to connect with the high-speed, MEO satellites which give just-like-home internet speeds, *but* frequently sail out of range of those satellites -- north of Seattle or Southampton we're back to the GEO satellites and the speeds we've learned to hate.

9 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Yea, to all of the above, but what about walking into one of the retail stores and having a clerk acknowledge you by name and having your picture/name displayed on a screen?  What about everyone and anyone knowing where you are at any time.

I personally do not like those ideas and will probably when I board  later this month, go to guest services and ask them to give me a cruise card instead and turn off the medallion so all of the above won't be happening.  Just tapping the cruise card on the ipad to open your door is no big thing and I would personally just use the medallion for that and nothing else.  The Princess contract says I should be able to do this, so just hoping I can.

Pooh

You can go into the app and turn off the location services. Basically turns your medallion into a cruise card. 

9 hours ago, Wandering_star said:

We were on our first Medallion cruise in May. I really enjoyed interacting with my little sea creature avatar that I created with one of the Ocean Ready apps - it's meant for children, but the sea creature is supposed to appear when you wander by one of the tv screens that are in the elevator lobbies or around the ship. However, I would often be disappointed because I wouldn't see my little guy and my husband's creature would pop up immediately.... Then I realized the problem - I kept my medallion in an RFID protected clutch... the medallion couldn't be read until I removed it (Facepalm).

The medallion functions very similar as your cruise card... you don't have to wear it, you can keep it in your pocket or purse and you don't have to use any of the apps if you don't want to... If you do want to see how it can function and all the cool stuff the apps offer, they have helpful people to assist you. Be sure the upgrade your internet plan to unlimited internet... it is so much more convenient!

I enjoyed seeing my avatar too when waiting for the elevator.  Same with yours, mine never appeared...unless I put my Medallion right up to the reader.  My DH’s aviator always quickly made appearances without him having to put his Medallion up to the reader.  He kept the Medallion in his pocket and I wore mine in the silver bracelet I purchased on the ship. Yeah...avatar might have been meant for kids but we consider ourselves as big kids.😁

3 hours ago, Sillyjilly said:

Don't you still have to pull the handle to open the door?

Yes you still turn the handle but I should have been more specific. You do have to push the handle down but if your hands are full you don't have to fumble around for your card as you did in the past. If you have full hands you can at least push the handle with you forearm etc.

22 hours ago, OceanPrince said:

#1 what port were you at that you waited 2 hours to check-in after security? Wow.

In almost years of sailing Princess, have never encountered that, in any port. Lines for security, have seen those and after once or twice, we just come a bit later instead.  2 hours for Registration? Never ever seen such.  Seems like you've been unlucky.

As we can't get Medallions sent to us, it makes no difference. Even if we could, I doubt we would as that's one more thing to keep track of in the travels before a cruise.  Interesting concept though and we're looking forward to trying them out when we finally sail an Ocean Medallion ship.

3 hours ago, reedprincess said:

#1 what port were you at that you waited 2 hours to check-in after security? Wow.

In almost years of sailing Princess, have never encountered that, in any port. Lines for security, have seen those and after once or twice, we just come a bit later instead.  2 hours for Registration? Never ever seen such.  Seems like you've been unlucky.

As we can't get Medallions sent to us, it makes no difference. Even if we could, I doubt we would as that's one more thing to keep track of in the travels before a cruise.  Interesting concept though and we're looking forward to trying them out when we finally sail an Ocean Medallion ship.

I've never made it onto the ship in 2 minutes either. 😄LOL

And talk about messaging others on board. Unless you want to stare into your phone all day long waiting for a text, it's almost next to worthless. 😉

• Like 1