Princess Club Class

Debate

We do a lot of west coast transitional cruises and book a mini.  Most times we get an up sell offer to move to a CC cabin.  Depending on the price we sometimes take it and sometimes not.  If it’s only about $100 pp we might bite.  We wouldn’t pay for  CC originally if the price differential is too great.  While not having a wait is nice, it’s not enough of an incentive to sway us.  I don’t really notice a big difference in the food.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:41 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

Coasty, no bad decisions.  Just people offering their opinions.  Me and my spouse dislike anything to do with the MDR.  Too noisy, slow service, sometimes poorly cooked food.  Taking two hours for a meal no longer interests us.  Cost is not an issue for not using Club dining.  We were able to book full suites for next year's Enchanted Med and TA.  Comes with Club Dining.  Doubt if we will ever see the MDR.  Too many other good options for us.  Regards

That's why there are options which I like.  Personally I would not be caught dead in the buffet area.  Hate that it is so big an area and personally, I like being served and relaxing with my mocktail at meals!  And when I can have a suite, I just adore the special suite breakfast areas and that they cook the food there.  Relaxing over all meals is a wonderful thing to me.  Also, I don't have to cook and clean up!  Do not look forward to port days where I have to eat lunch in the buffet (unless I want Alfredo's or IC).  If the timing is right, I have lunch from room service.  Also, I have found the CC area for dining to not be noisy.  Maybe I have just been lucky.  

Pooh

• Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 10:02 AM, szubieta said:

What are the added dinner menu items?  

They also do special dishes at breakfast. I think it was some kind of crepe, different each day. Can't remember about lunch.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 4:23 PM, nukesubsailor said:

The two extra dishes served in Club Class dining are not always just pasta.  Sometimes one  is an appetizer or salad.  Sometimes one will be a special desert.  The entre choices have all been great.  I especially like the lobster thermidor.

I would not give any weight to the opinion of those who have not tried Club Class dining.  It is up to you and you alone if you want to spend the extra money for less likelihood of waiting for a table and having the option of two extra items on your menu.

There was a seared tuna appetizer that was so good I got it two different nights.

I've only booked Club Class once, because it was affordable at the time.  I loved everything about it.  We sail extensively across many different lines, before anytime dining was introduced.  Then, the anytime dining option became our favorite.  Eat when you want and there was never an issue with getting a table.  Well, that quickly dissolved and over time,  the waits for dinner became longer and longer until it got to the point where you either have to eat in the late afternoon or late evening.  Our preferred dining time is 6:00 - 6:30 PM, which is no longer possible on Princess.  We are no longer able to make reservations for that time frame ... at least not in my most recent experiences.  The available reservations are either at 5 PM or 7:30 PM ... what?  Even in the specialty restaurants, they've been hesitant to allow a reservation for 6 PM.  Such negotiators on the other end of the dine line.  Well, Club Class solves that issue.  

Besides the ability to eat at your chosen time, the extra dish that is served is oftentimes quite good .. we had a sea scallop dish once that was of the quality you'd find in one of the specialty restaurants.  Sometimes it is an extra pasta dish or a special dessert ... all were fantastic IMO.  Not that the tablecloth or napkins add to the enjoyment of my meal, it may to others.  I do like the crystal wine glasses they use in Club Class dining, though.  They are the ones they use in Vines with the thin rim rather than the small bubble lipped glasses they serve wine in elsewhere on the ship.  When ordering a nice bottle of wine,  it should be served in the appropriate glass.  

And, during that one time we had club class, they snagged some tables from the MDR during the busier times, probably so those passengers wouldn't have to wait but most likely, adding to increased wait times in the adjacent MDR.  A couple of  times, we were asked if we'd be willing to share a table at dinner.  And for  breakfast and lunches that were served in this area, we weren't asked but rather, seated with others.  I believe you could request a table for yourselves at those meals, though and it would most likely be granted.  

Was it worth it?  Hmmmmm?  I would have to say, yes!  We had a great experience!  However, we've only booked it once as it fit into our travel budget at the time and it was little more than a regular mini suite.  Would I do it again?  If the price was right ... yes, I would!!  If eating at a specialty restaurant every night was cheaper, I'd probably go that route, though.  

• Like 1

It all depends on what's important to you.  I would never book Club Class for the perks that come with it.  They just aren't worth that much to me at all.  What I will book Club Class for is the cabin location on the Royal Class ships.  I happen to love the forward corner mini-suites with the massive balconies (M-107, 108 & L-107, 108) and they just happen to be CC.  

• Like 4

Club Class is not standard across the fleet.  I 've had CC a number of times and the experience has been different on each ship.  It ranges from Fantastic to the worst  (service was terrible) I've had.  My opinion is depends on how much extra it will cost, I don't believe CC is worth the extra cost.

On 8/18/2019 at 1:21 PM, AF-1 said:

The additional items vary each night.  Like I mentioned one night the head waiter in club class was fixing either pasta with a marinara sauce or a fettuccini alfredo at your table;  your choice.  

I find this interesting.  We were in a suite, in Club Class last November on the Regal for 10 nights and we never had additional items offered or anything done table side for any of the nights.  We enjoyed Club Class very much but this "added extra" to the menus seem to be absent from the Regal.

Lots of good discussion and perspectives.  As some have articulated, its your money and you purchase what you desire...  And, speaking of costs I just randomly selected a 7-day 2020 Mediterranean Enchanted offering to understand the difference between a "Club Class" mini and a regular mini...understanding that location is also a factor.   The CC mini was $424 more expensive, per person, than the regular mini.  That's $60/day per person.  That's a lot of CC eating and enjoyment.  

The bottom line, as it always is with cruise lines, is profit.  Convincing, apparently easily, that its worth $60pp for Club Class by simply suggesting that you received "special" service over and above that received by those in similar "regular" cabin is a good profit maker for Princess.  $60pp is easily a good meal in a specialty restaurant and/or money towards a drink package, before and after dinner drinks, or maybe bottle of wine with dinner.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

I find this interesting.  We were in a suite, in Club Class last November on the Regal for 10 nights and we never had additional items offered or anything done table side for any of the nights.  We enjoyed Club Class very much but this "added extra" to the menus seem to be absent from the Regal.

Gracie115,  I don't know what to say about the Regal.  I had extras on both Emerald and Caribbean Princess. Sorry you didn't experience the little extra's.  

On 8/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, memoak said:

Extra dishes are not only pastas.  One night there might be a steak Diane or a shrimp option.  Changes daily

And all of it good!

I really enjoyed the extra entrées  Fernando prepared on Crown. 

Crepés Suzette and Cherries Jubilee on some other nights. 

Even though the Club Class section was part of the MDR, it felt like a separate area. 

The service was personal and there was never a long wait between courses. 

The entire dining experience, breakfast, lunch, or dinner, was enhanced. 

51 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Lots of good discussion and perspectives.  As some have articulated, its your money and you purchase what you desire...  And, speaking of costs I just randomly selected a 7-day 2020 Mediterranean Enchanted offering to understand the difference between a "Club Class" mini and a regular mini...understanding that location is also a factor.   The CC mini was $424 more expensive, per person, than the regular mini.  That's $60/day per person.  That's a lot of CC eating and enjoyment.  

The bottom line, as it always is with cruise lines, is profit.  Convincing, apparently easily, that its worth $60pp for Club Class by simply suggesting that you received "special" service over and above that received by those in similar "regular" cabin is a good profit maker for Princess.  $60pp is easily a good meal in a specialty restaurant and/or money towards a drink package, before and after dinner drinks, or maybe bottle of wine with dinner.  

Or just extra money for the next cruise.

We are finishing our 10 day Alaska cruise in Club Class on Grand Princess today and it is hard for me to envision planning any future cruises without booking a Club Class mini. Your individual mileage may vary, but for us the dining room experience was nothing short of sublime. 

• Like 2

I understand that the meal is the same as the MDR with extra entree options. But if you choose the regular meals, is your meal prepared when you order or is it still part of the mass production? 

Edited by Rusty10

4 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

We were in a full suite for 5 nites on the Ruby this past March ... only one added item, and on one nite only.  It was Bananas Foster, and it was ok, nothing special.

Noticed 2 things about CC ...

First, we were greeted first nite as Mr and Mrs, and by only our first names next meal.  I found that to be a sort of disrespectful familiarity ... the greeter must have noticed my cringe, as she went back to Mr and Mrs after that.

Second, even seated at the windows, furthest from the non-CC dining area, the venue was very LOUD.   When I commented to our server about the noise level, the reply was "It's the clientelle this sailing."  Thought that to be offensive and not at all appropriate.  CC needs a separate venue, not just a section of the MDR.

Oh,.and we had good service.

All in all, CC was just okay ... it came as a suite perk, but was not as special as I expected it to be, based on all I've read here and in the Princess promo materials.

Edited by pms4104
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Interesting.  I will find out in 4 days when I join the Regal in Copenhagen.  Nothing is cooked literally table side so that doesn't bother me.  But usually there is a stainless steel table with at least makings for a special Caesar salad or side pasta dish in the CC dining area.  I will say that the Grand offered special main meals too- like ribeye steak etc. that wasn't offered to mainline MDR guests.  So will be interesting to see what we get.  I just like the ease of going when I want and getting right in; the extra offerings never mean anything to me.  I get the CC class for the really anytime dining opportunities, the cabin location, and the mini's bathroom set-up!  Worth the extra $10-20pp per day for me.

Pooh

Edited by PoohUnderstands
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

All in all, CC was just okay ... it came as a suite perk, but was not as special as I expected it to be, based on all I've read here and in the Princess promo materials.

It is nowhere near as nice as the suite restaurant Luminae on Celebrity, that's for sure,  but it is FAR better than the Anytime Dining we experienced on Princess before they had Club Class.   We are glad we have it as an option and most likely will book at least a mini suite with it whenever we are on Princess.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

It is nowhere near as nice as the suite restaurant Luminae on Celebrity, that's for sure,  but it is FAR better than the Anytime Dining we experienced on Princess before they had Club Class.   We are glad we have it as an option and most likely will book at least a mini suite with it whenever we are on Princess.

Totally agree with that.  If anyone is expecting a Blu or Luminae experience like on Celebrity, they will be disappointed.
One night, we asked what the special dish was and our waitress said, "Oh, it's ravioli.  It's over there (and pointed to the rolling cart).  You can have it if you want, but it's cold because it's been sitting there awhile."     🤨

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pms4104 said:

Second, even seated at the windows, furthest from the non-CC dining area, the venue was very LOUD.   When I commented to our server about the noise level, the reply was "It's the clientelle this sailing."  Thought that to be offensive and not at all appropriate.  CC needs a separate venue, not just a section of the MDR.

If the noise was not caused by the passengers in the dining area, what was the cause?  One of our favorite things about the Sapphire Princess is the fact that they have a wall separating the two halves of the amidships dining rooms.  The smaller area makes for a quieter dining experience.

I agree that a separate venue for Club Class would be nice but that would be hard to arrange on any ship designed before Club Class dining was begun.

6 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

If the noise was not caused by the passengers in the dining area, what was the cause?  One of our favorite things about the Sapphire Princess is the fact that they have a wall separating the two halves of the amidships dining rooms.  The smaller area makes for a quieter dining experience.

I agree that a separate venue for Club Class would be nice but that would be hard to arrange on any ship designed before Club Class dining was begun.

Yes, of course, the noise was created by other dinrers ... but the "clientelle" didn't seem much diffflerent from any othrr Princess sailing wr've been on.

Most unfortunate that Princrss wss unablr to find a better way to exrcute this concept

18 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

I am hoping they have found a way to better separate the Club Class area with the Sky Princess.  We will find out in April.

I hope not to offend any previous poster, but ...

I would sure hate to try to please some of the cruisers whose expectations and standards are reflected on this thread.

BTW, we were on the Regal last August and extra dishes were offered in CC. So the Regal is not left out of the program all the time.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1