Best Dining Room Dinners and Desserts?

lidolovers

Although I love creme brulee, I really don't like the Royal Caribbean version of it - almost has a banana pudding undertaste to it or something.  The Grand Marnier souffle was being served on Ovation last month when we did our Alaska cruise.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:36 PM, Host Clarea said:

Ask your waiter what Indian dishes are available.  Jewel actually has a separate Indian menu that changes every night.

Supposedly fleetwide they now always have a Vegie and a meat curry available every night in the MDR

I really enjoyed the steak with peppercorn sauce, but the beef shank was absolutely fantastic. Appetizer wise I always order the French onion soup every night since I typically don't find anything else on the appetizer menu that I like. For dessert I really liked the creme brulee but also enjoyed the lava cake and one night the profiteroles, though they were sugar free so a bit bland.

I  loved the Savory Bites; when I asked for them they provided them for the rest of the week.

Another favorite is chilled peach soup; they brought it to me several nights on my Oasis cruise in January.

Not MDR, but the paella in Windjammer on day 1 for lunch, and the cream of mushroom soup in Chops. The mushroom soup in Central Park café is very good, also.

Three weeks from today(wishful thinking--6 weeks) we sail on Harmony, loved it last time and we felt the food all over the ship was really good!

We were on Celebrity Edge in April and are glad to be back to an Oasis class ship--our favorites!

Barb

Edited by barb in ga
error in dates

I've only been on one Royal Caribbean cruise and there is the food that stuck out to me as being good

MDR:  eggs benedict.  The hollandaise sauce on it was really good.   The horseradish crusted salmon.  The horseradish wasn't an over powering taste but really tasty.  French Onion soup was good.   The sauces on the pasta I ate at dinner a few night was good but the pasta was not.  Too chewy and was sticking together.

Windjammer:  I'm not a huge buffet person but I really liked the make your own nachos/ taco area and the last night of the cruise I skipped the dining room and ate at Windjammer and the fish and chips were good.  Just the right amount of breading.

Deserts:  The Chocolate Bar.  You can get that at the Windjammer or the Café Promenade.  Soooo gooood!

I don’t know if anyone’s mentioned this or not, I was only able to scan the other responses, but if someone already has said this them let me second it – the red velvet cake at Chops   OMG 😮 👏🏻 👍🏼 🥰 😋. The rest of the meal won’t be terrible either! 😉

@barb in ga  I don’t know why I keep forgetting to request those, it has been forever and since I eat free range on a ship bring them on!

Edited by AlohaLivin

The apple pie I had on Majesty in June was the best ever!  I also like the carrot cake.

Best entree for me is the horseradish crusted salmon.  However, on Majesty, our waiter asked what kind of food I liked. I mentioned I like spicy Indian food, and every night after that, he brought me some type of Curry.

Sherri🙂

• 1 month later...

DH orders the apple pie every night, he always asks for an extra serving of ice cream.  My favorite used to be the flourless chocolate cake.  They started serving a small slice with other choc desserts on a plate, now I no longer see it at all☹️. My favorite entree is the lasagna, hubby loves the lamb shank.

I'm another fan of the Asian pork tacos.

Poblanos corn soup is another hit

Lamb Chops of course

Banana split from the kiddie menu

My favorite app dissapeared,  smoke chicken with green apples. I also miss the banana rum soup.

FWIW, Michael Bayley hinted that on the 50th birthday cruise next month, some old menu items would be featured 

Edited by John&LaLa

On 9/6/2019 at 2:19 PM, starrcards said:

Appetizer (I know you didn't ask):  Escargots any and every night they have them.

Entrée : Rosemary Lamb shank, Prime rib

Desert: Most often a chocolate brownie sundae  off the kids menu,

And a bonus suggestion: Ask for savory bites night 1 and they should be there every night.

I will have to remember to ask about the savory bites. I would love to have them. I don't think they have appeared on the last 2-3 cruises I have been on. 

4 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Could someone enlighten me on what these are? I've never heard of them.

Small, triangle shaped, crusty bread rolls made with savory.  Used to be a standard offering in the MDR, but now you have to ask for them.

• Like 1

My recent experiences on Adventure:

French onion soup - soup is fine but virtually no onion pieces 

Crab cake  - made with fake Crab so might as well call it fish cake 

Soufflé - I remember a time when it was served piping hot and the crust rising inches above the rim of the ramekin; now it's lukewarm, flat and dense, more like a pudding.

Here is my write up of some of the vegan menu items

Edited by toras

On 9/11/2019 at 8:18 AM, AlohaLivin said:

the red velvet cake at Chops

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe they have this any more? I think I’ve seen it pop up in Coastal Kitchen though?

Edited by tomservo

Both my DH and I will forever remember a cold soup with watermelon (it was maybe called watermelon gazpacho?) that we had on night 1 in the MDR on our very first cruise together in 2012 on the Majesty of the Seas. We've never seen it served again but it was the most delicious soup we've ever had.. Has anyone else ever had it? 

19 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe they have this any more? I think I’ve seen it pop up in Coastal Kitchen though?

Hmm... well they did have it in late June. But I do think they switch back and forth between that and the carrot cake (which I understand is also amazing).