Carnival Steakhouse Reservations process change??

tony_g51181

So I just got off a Cruise on the liberty three weeks ago and had submitted reservations and got a reply confirming those reservations.  I am now trying to do the same for a cruise on the Glory Oct 15, 2019 and now it appears you must pay for the steakhouse at the time of placing the reservations???  Is this new or is it based upon the ship???  I was booking for 6 but not going to pay for everyone.  Anyone know whats up?

25 minutes ago, tony_g51181 said:

So I just got off a Cruise on the liberty three weeks ago and had submitted reservations and got a reply confirming those reservations.  I am now trying to do the same for a cruise on the Glory Oct 15, 2019 and now it appears you must pay for the steakhouse at the time of placing the reservations???  Is this new or is it based upon the ship???  I was booking for 6 but not going to pay for everyone.  Anyone know whats up?

Not surprised, that's how it's done on Princess (another Carnival owned line).

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

new change went into effect early this year 

I have made reservations at the steakhouse this year on Sunshine, Horizon, Breeze and a couple of times on Liberty, the most recent one being last week. I have never had to pay in advance when making any of these reservations. I received a confirmation e-mail for my latest reservation request two days ago on Saturday. 

I made reservations for our upcoming trip on the Valor and yes, I reserved and had to pay up front. Since this is our first time doing the steakhouse and it is only for 2 of us I got that cost out of the way. 

Edited by DeesEscape

At the end of last week got reservations for Steak house for our Oct 12th cruise on Vista. It did not require me to pre-pay. I got email back that time I wanted was not available and I did go back in later to see if I could pick a different time and it did look like it had to be prepaid. So I responded to the email they sent and worked out a new reservation time and did not prepay. I also reserved Cucina del Capitano and did not pre pay but if I go look now it does look like you would have to. 

Interesting, looks like this is a change based on the posts in this thread. I don’t seeing it being a big deal if you are just cruising with your spouse, for example. But if you are cruising with a bunch of friends, I could see this being a pain. Guess I will see what happens in the near future when I make another reservation. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Interesting, looks like this is a change based on the posts in this thread. I don’t seeing it being a big deal if you are just cruising with your spouse, for example. But if you are cruising with a bunch of friends, I could see this being a pain. Guess I will see what happens in the near future when I make another reservation. 

I agree.  Personally I like to pre-pay whenever possible, but I don't want to presume friends going on the same cruise are ready to pay when I am.

Bottom line is that I really don't care.  However given that on my sailings I have never noticed the steak house to be half full, and I generally see an employee near the atrium hawking steakhouse reservations, it's hard to imagine the thinking of the bean counters.

Perhaps it is as a previous poster suggested, there are lots of people making and then canceling reservations.

6 hours ago, Cruiseman38 said:

You can thank all the people that were making multiple reservations and not showing up.

I read that’s carnival determined that most people have a set amount they are prepared to spend once onboard the ship. The money paid on the front end doesn’t really change that. So people will still spend $200 on board rather than change that amount to $162 since they already paid $38 for the steakhouse. 

54 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

I read that’s carnival determined that most people have a set amount they are prepared to spend once onboard the ship. The money paid on the front end doesn’t really change that. So people will still spend $200 on board rather than change that amount to $162 since they already paid $38 for the steakhouse. 

That could certainly be an explanation.

I booked two weeks ago for a party of 8 on the Magic in December. I was on my laptop and it wanted me to pay the money up front through the website. I went to the mobile website on my phone and it just wanted my information (the old way). I did this and got a confirmation email later in the day without having to pay up front.  I have noticed that the mobile site has changed in the past week so not sure if this would still be a viable work around. 

I was on the Sunrise in September and a woman dining at the Steakhouse made a scene about paying. She claims she did not know there was an additional fee and asked to speak with anyone who would listen to her. I wonder if there have been many other incidents like that?

Edited by 718ariana

13 minutes ago, 718ariana said:

I was on the Sunrise in September and a woman dining at the Steakhouse made a scene about paying. She claims she did not know there was an additional fee and asked to speak with anyone who would listen to her. I wonder if there have been many other incidents like that?

It sounds like she was just wanting to get a free steakhouse dinner. SMH. Some people. 

5 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

It sounds like she was just wanting to get a free steakhouse dinner. SMH. Some people. 

I think she genuinely thought it was all included. During her rant she asked one of the servers what the $1500 she paid for the cruise covered. Sounded like she booked a lot of for-fee things (dining, Build a Bear, chat function in the Hub) and thought they were all included. She was definitely shocked... and it was only night one!

I felt bad for the servers, but they, and the hostess, handled her complaints with respect and empathy. Not sure how it all ended - she may still be there complaining!