Britannia having a wobble...

AndyMichelle

Britannia is returning to Southampton tonight, reports she is listing badly with water from the swimming pools flooding the restaurant? (must be the buffet?) 

I hope it is the weather and nothing majorly wrong. 

She heads off for the refit at 11am tomorrow, so hopefully everybody will get back safe and any issues will be dealt with then. 

Andy 

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Britannia is returning to Southampton tonight, reports she is listing badly with water from the swimming pools flooding the restaurant? (must be the buffet?) 

I hope it is the weather and nothing majorly wrong. 

She heads off for the refit at 11am tomorrow, so hopefully everybody will get back safe and any issues will be dealt with then. 

Andy 

Reports seem to be a little off mark.  Others on board say the felt no movement and there is not a list at all. She will be coming in early in preparation for her dry docking. It seems to be common practice.

Edited by daiB

It's funny how people see things differently. 

One passenger seemed to be in fear for her life, others say nothing untoward? 

As for arriving early, I don't think she was due back until this morning.

My friends parents are onboard and he was picking them up usual disembarkation time today, but perhaps they just made up some time and took advantage to get in early. 

Andy 

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I've just seen someone on Facebook really moaning they got in last night but couldn't get off until this morning but was kept awake by the noise of the  unloading!

Someone moaning ... never !!!!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, P&O SUE said:

I've just seen someone on Facebook really moaning they got in last night but couldn't get off until this morning but was kept awake by the noise of the  unloading!

Oh the poor dears, must be worth a free cruise in compensation for all the upset!!!!🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

With regard to noise of the unloading, they may well have a very good point. If their cabin is dockside and low down then they could easily have been kept awake all night ( as it docked at 11am rather than the usual 6am). Seems the early docking is for P&Os benefit, but could have seriously effected the last night of SOME passengers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

My friends parents are onboard and he was picking them up usual disembarkation time today, but perhaps they just made up some time and took advantage to get in early. 

Andy 

I think that this will have been planned as it seems to be standard practice pre refits

So those who are moaning about not being able to get off the ship last night clearly want the shoreside staff, including customs, taxis, car parking staff, and porters to give up their Sunday evening, as well as this morning to facilitate an unknown number of passengers leaving early. Seems a little selfish to me. 

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

That’s a very true observation Andy.

We had passengers leave a ship at Orkney on day 3 of the cruise as day 2 (sea day) had been a slightly bumpy ride. They arranged flights back to the UK as they were petrified that they were going to sink and drown.

It was not the worst weather or sea state I had  experienced (in fact not really that bad imo) but to those folks who were first time cruisers it was really frightening. We ended up with just 2 of us on a table for 6 at dinner.

We all see things from our own perspectives and based on our own level of tolerance to a given situation. If I had been kept awake all night with off loading I would not be happy and would see that as a legitimate comment, not a “moan”.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Sadly some passengers don't understand and don't think of the bigger picture. An early arrival back to port for whatever circumstance doesn't mean you can just get off. 

Too right, we were on Sapphire Princess in April, we missed Lanzarote and sped north to keep ahead of an Atlantic storm.  We got to Southampton early evening the day before we were due in and I could not believe how many people were moaning.  The moans were about missing a port and the fact that we couldn't get off the ship to either spend the evening around Southampton or go home, people really thought that the shore side workers should have stayed and waited for us, Britannia and Eclipse because they knew that we were coming in early because of the storm.

1 hour ago, CarlaMarie said:

Sadly some passengers don't understand and don't think of the bigger picture. An early arrival back to port for whatever circumstance doesn't mean you can just get off. 

For one thing no customs officers far less anything else.

You would think that folks would want to enjoy their last night onboard safe in the knowledge that they would at least not get sea sick.

We were informed on our return from the Caribbean in March that we would be docking in Southampton the evening before our scheduled arrival to miss a storm, we were told that we would not be able to get off until the original scheduled time, within minutes there were people queuing at reception demanding they be allowed to disembark in the evening, the captain explained that the ship could not be customs cleared and the luggage would not be taken off until the following morning. Probably the same people that moan that they can't embark  early at the start of the cruise. 

• Like 2

Don't know where these stories come from..?? We disembarked the britainnia this morning.. there was no listing or water leaking from swimming pools into restaurants and definitely not in the horizon buffet! we were in there until 9.30 this morning no problems at all.. The Britannia was also running 30 minutes early.. One thing that did occurr though.. We were woken about 3 nights ago at 2am in the morning with an announcement in our cabin from the captain to report a fire in the engine room! That's real news!!

Twice we've arrived at Southampton the night before scheduled disembarkation.  Both occasions on Oriana.

The first time was due to avoiding bad weather.  I think we docked about 20:00ish.  Passengers were able to either disembark and go, go into town and come back or stay on board until scheduled disembarkation.  I did actually see several passengers disembark, which I found a bit surprising as it was only a four night cruise.

The second time was due to technical reasons on Oriana's last Christmas & New Year cruise.  We docked about 22:30, and it was explained that passengers could neither disembark nor go for a run ashore, as the ship could not be cleared till the following morning.  Which I think is fair enough.  Border Force may well have a late night presence at airports, but this is due to scheduled flights landing at those times.  If people want Border Force aka Customs to clear passengers arriving outside of their scheduled times on ships, be prepared to pay higher fares to cover the overtime costs that would have to be incurred.  Or maybe bill departing passengers directly for Border Forces overtime!  

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just out of curiosity, isn’t this a classic example of how easy it is for a completely inaccurate story to gain traction?

Where did it start?

Are you watching Capture? 😨  Fiction I know but makes you think in these days of Fake News and the potential for misrepresentation.  

Edited by kruzseeka