TK vs The Restaurant

islandchick

The best steak I've ever had on a Seabourn cruise was a Rib Eye steak in the Main Dining Room.  I did not see that particular steak on the menu on our last SB cruise, but could have missed it on a night we did not dine there.  

I think I have to agree, the steaks at the TK grill are consistently good however I've had better steak in the MDR, although I'd say it's a bit more variable and I've had some shoe leather too. Generally I don't see that the TK grill has magically improved on steak. On our last cruise we ate steaks in the MDR and when we went to TK enjoyed other dishes. 

I must say , we try not to have steaks in any restaurants, even I can cook a  good steak with the right  meat.

We usually eat in the TK once a week but would not want to do more than that  as the menu does not change. I find alternating

Between the MDR, Colonade  and TK suits us fine

TK steaks are cooked a different way.  The outside is caramelized by the cooking process.  The steaks in the Restaurant don't have this.  I like my steaks med-rare, but with TK steaks I eat around the outside first because the burnt/caramelized part tastes so good.  That said, I also like the steaks downstairs.  TK has a special steak in the Restaurant that is from part of the prime rib.  I've forgotten the exact name, but it is easily the best piece of meat onboard.  

12 hours ago, pnsnkr said:

Does TK Grill offer surf-and-turf?  

Not on the menu as such but you can make it happen if you're nice about it.

2 hours ago, texanaust said:

TK has a special steak in the Restaurant that is from part of the prime rib. I've forgotten the exact name../

I think you're referring to what they call "true rib-eye."

• Thanks 1

I didn't have steak the one time I've been in TK - - I had the chicken, just because it's gotten such diverse reviews. I thought the chicken was delicious.   We are booked for a 2 week cruise next year, and I hope we can go to TK at least twice, and I'll definitely get the steak. 

As for the restaurant, I did get steak on our last cruise (which was our 1st cruise and only cruise -- so far -- on Seabourn), and I had no complaints.  I think you'll be happy at either venue.

Edited by n2wdw

13 hours ago, Ka Honu said:

Not on the menu as such but you can make it happen if you're nice about it.

I think you're referring to what they call "true rib-eye."

I'm talking about a TK special served in The Restaurant, not the 'true rib-eye' served in TK.

The TK Rib Eye is, for me one of the finest steaks in the world. It presents more like a fillet than a traditional Rib Eye due to the butchering process which is somewhat luxurious, they keep the good bit and discard the less premium elements.

You almost have to view the TK Rib Eye as a separate cut all on its own.

Henry

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 8:59 PM, islandchick said:

Just curious, is there a difference in the quality of the steaks in the TK grill vs The Restaurant? 

Islandchick,

This is not a exact answer to you exact question but I would consider this: The steaks served in the MDR and Earth and Ocean are fabulous.  My favorite steak is the the filet mignon offered daily on the MDR's "classic menu".  So with that said, I would consider trying one or 2 of TK's other main courses such as the chicken and or lobster thermidor (neither of which you can get anywhere else on the ship). You can only dine at TD once a week but will have access to excellent steaks everyday in the other dining venues.  IMHO after 14 SB cruises. Do order the TK Caesar salad, it's hand crafted at your table.

• Thanks 1

I love the TK Grill for its quiet intimate atmosphere with personalized service.. As noted , the portions are big so I always share an entire and dessert And while there is a fixed menu I don’t believe it has been mentioned here that each evening there is a special entree and appetizer. . 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chairsin said:

I love the TK Grill for its quiet intimate atmosphere with personalized service.. As noted , the portions are big so I always share an entire and dessert And while there is a fixed menu I don’t believe it has been mentioned here that each evening there is a special entree and appetizer. . 

I agree about the quiet intimate atmosphere, but for me that's only found at the TK Grill on the O class ships. I find the dining space is far too large on the new ships. But I know that some guests find the space too small and 'crowded' on O class! 

However I do love the TK bar on Ovation, and presumably would on Encore also. 

We dine at the TK restaurant once a week (on either class) and I find that is right about of TK.  

The bar on the Encore class ships is another matter.  I start my evening with a perfect Rusty Nail at the TK bar every night as soon as they open.  Perfect drink, perfect service and not yet to noisy. 

Gotta echo raphael360's comment regarding the TK bar.  Our Ovation cruise was in June, and the bartender was superb as was the vocalist, Debbie, if I remember her name correctly.  Every drink made perfectly.  Always was a relaxing way to start the evening after a hard day of sightseeing.

On 10/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, saminina said:

I am reading question by OP as what grade of beef is purchased.  I'm curious, too.  Will investigate this week, providing an honest person can be found to respond.

Hi islandchick

saminina raises a good point. We’re you specially asking:

A. where to get the best hunk of meat on the ship or

B:  did you want to know the specific grade of beef SB purchases in a specific country at a specific Time of provisioning?
If you are interested in discussing B then I can help. I’ve worked in the US beef industry for over 10 years, am currently on a SB ship and consider myself an honest person. 
In short A: Quality of beef is good everywhere on the ship. The answer to B is a lot more complicated. 

4 hours ago, raphael360 said:

Hi islandchick

saminina raises a good point. We’re you specially asking:

A. where to get the best hunk of meat on the ship or

B:  did you want to know the specific grade of beef SB purchases in a specific country at a specific Time of provisioning?
If you are interested in discussing B then I can help. I’ve worked in the US beef industry for over 10 years, am currently on a SB ship and consider myself an honest person. 
In short A: Quality of beef is good everywhere on the ship. The answer to B is a lot more complicated. 

Mainly asking about A. I see a lot of hype around the TK grill so I would expect that the meat is a better quality and aged longer, but it appears from the replies that most steaks on board are similar in all venues. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2019 at 7:58 AM, rols said:

I think I have to agree, the steaks at the TK grill are consistently good however I've had better steak in the MDR, although I'd say it's a bit more variable and I've had some shoe leather too. Generally I don't see that the TK grill has magically improved on steak. On our last cruise we ate steaks in the MDR and when we went to TK enjoyed other dishes. 

I also agree that steaks in the main dining room were very good. There are too many other options in the TK Grill to have a huge steak that I can't finish. Dover Sole as well as a unique preparation of lobster thermidor are not to be missed, in my opinion.