Carnival Vista Passenger Deceased, Several Injured in Belize Accident

jimbo5544

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Link online  reports that on Vista sailing, independent tour bus accident claims one life and six injuries. 

My wife told me of this, this morning, about 10am local time, that a busload of passengers were en route to Tulum, when a car/truck pulled up along side the bus and shot at the driver and killed him. There were no others injured in the gunfire. That's all I know. I know nothing about the other injuries. I don't know it it's the same incident. And I've not investigated via the internet further. Prayers to the injured.

Edited by Host Carolyn
See first post

2 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

My wife told me of this, this morning, about 10am local time, that a busload of passengers were en route to Tulum, when a car/truck pulled up along side the bus and shot at the driver and killed him. There were no others injured in the gunfire. That's all I know. I know nothing about the other injuries. I don't know it it's the same incident. And I've not investigated via the internet further. Prayers to the injured.

Not sure, I only posted this for anyone who has family currently on Vista.  There was a link to a Belize news agency report, but fairly graphic.

I have a friend on the Vista. She has been sitting with a couple who had 4 family members on the bus who did survive but were not back onboard when she wrote the message. She is a minister and just met the couple n the Atrium when she saw they were upset.  She said at that time the passengers onboard had been told that there were 5 deaths from Vista, more from other ships and many critical. Not sure who told them this or how correct it was. Apparently the tour bus and another vehicle collided head on. 

ETA- I read the above article and it does look like the number she heard onboard was not correct according to the official statement. 

Edited by lennythenose

"Cоnfіrmеd rероrtѕ аrе thаt twо Веlіzеаn wоmеn аnd ѕеvеrаl оthеrѕ іnсludіng tоurіѕtѕ lоѕt thеіr lіvеѕ thіѕ аftеrnооn іn а rоаd trаffіс ассіdеnt.
Мауrа Аlсоѕеr, аn еmрlоуее оf Ѕсоtіаbаnk аnd Lоurdеѕ Wаdе, аn еmрlоуее оf thе Ѕосіаl Ѕесurіtу Воаrd, bоth dіеd tоdау аѕ а rеѕult оf thе fаtаl trаffіс ассіdеnt.
A tour van and a red SUV reportedly collided near mile 17 on the George Price Highway this afternoon."

https://www.breakingbelizenews.com/2019/11/27/two-belizean-women-and-several-other-people-lose-their-lives-in-traffic-accident/

Edited by TNcruising02

9 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Tulum is in Mexico.  It's too far away from Belize City for an excursion for somebody on a Carnival cruise.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I have not read of any other reports that this incident involved gun fire. That would be a murder and not an accident. 

The report said a collision.  So sad.  I was on the Celebrity Summit when an independent tour bus slid off the road in the rain in Tortola.  There were 2 fatalities and Capt Kate kept us all informed about the condition of the injured.  That was one way to keep rumors and misinformation to a minimum.

12 hours ago, lennythenose said:

I have a friend on the Vista. She has been sitting with a couple who had 4 family members on the bus who did survive but were not back onboard when she wrote the message. She is a minister and just met the couple n the Atrium when she saw they were upset.  She said at that time the passengers onboard had been told that there were 5 deaths from Vista, more from other ships and many critical. Not sure who told them this or how correct it was. Apparently the tour bus and another vehicle collided head on. 

ETA- I read the above article and it does look like the number she heard onboard was not correct according to the official statement. 

How very thoughtful of your friend to sit with them during this time.

3 minutes ago, CarolSW said:

That article states that several people remain hospitalized.  I hope there are no additional deaths.  This is such a sad story.  My husband and I go on some type of tour every cruise.  I just told my husband that I need to make sure I wear my seatbelt on those tour buses.

15 hours ago, Joe817 said:

One reason I avoid that area of Mexico. I know Playa de Carmen has had issues with violence to tourists. 

7 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Unfortunately this article says now 7 dead:

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-passenger-killed-in-deadly-belize-accident/

I think they are still saying that 7 passengers were from the Carnival cruise, but one of those passengers has died and one passenger from the MSC cruise has died (along with three Belize residents).

Edited by TNcruising02

6 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think they are still saying that 7 passengers were from the Carnival cruise, but one of those passengers has died and one passenger from the MSC cruise has died (along with three Belize residents).

Sorry I must have linked the old article by mistake instead of today's update - it now says:

Police: Seven dead, several hospitalized in tragic accident

Police today confirmed the details of the tragic road traffic accident that left 7 people dead, including four Belizeans and three tourists.

https://www.breakingbelizenews.com/2019/11/28/police-seven-dead-several-hospitalized-in-tragic-accident/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Sorry I must have linked the old article by mistake instead of today's update - it now says:

Police: Seven dead, several hospitalized in tragic accident

Police today confirmed the details of the tragic road traffic accident that left 7 people dead, including four Belizeans and three tourists.

https://www.breakingbelizenews.com/2019/11/28/police-seven-dead-several-hospitalized-in-tragic-accident/

That's so sad that there are more deaths.  It's now up to four Belize residents and three tourists.  What a horrible tragedy.

Edited by TNcruising02