Can you bring guests onboard?

We are sailing on Regent SSMariner Sydney to Singapore 01March2020. When the ship docks in Brisbane I will meet my Sister and husband who live there. I would love to show them what onboard is like. Is it possible to arrange visitor passes, and who should I approach onboard to arrange this?

22 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Still possible on Crystal. I've done it multiple times, as recently as September, 2019.

It happens on a number of cruise lines. Not unusual to see people onboard while in port wearing the "guest" ID card. But the cruise line has to vet them.

41 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Wrong. Most, if not all cruise lines allow it. It just needs to be prearranged. I had visitors on my Holland America cruise 2 months ago. 

I know one of our friends who was also our travel agent was unable to visit us about ten years ago, what there major lines allow this, thanks. I miss the old days when we could have several friends for a bon  voyage party. 

9 hours ago, NewToCruising2013 said:

We are sailing on Regent SSMariner Sydney to Singapore 01March2020. When the ship docks in Brisbane I will meet my Sister and husband who live there. I would love to show them what onboard is like. Is it possible to arrange visitor passes, and who should I approach onboard to arrange this?

The best thing may be to contact TAs in Brisbane selling cruises. They may be able to help. I was once invited by my TA in Stockholm to visit Jewel of the Seas when she was docked in Stockholm.

5 hours ago, George C said:

I know one of our friends who was also our travel agent was unable to visit us about ten years ago, what there major lines allow this, thanks. I miss the old days when we could have several friends for a bon  voyage party. 

Princess used to offer it, may still do so. I think it was only at embarkation ports.

13 hours ago, NewToCruising2013 said:

Regent does allow pre-approved guests on board if their schedule, available host/hostesses, etc. permits it.  We know because we will be visiting onboard when the Mariner comes to Maui the first of February.  Your TA would be the one to handle this.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

As Silver Sweethearts says, Regent does allow this. You need to make the request in advance--at least 30 days is recommended--and a security check will be made. The visitor will need to bring ID and leave it with security.  There is a charge if the visitor has a meal on board. I seem to recall it was $30.

I have done this twice recently on Crystal, with an easy online application I could do myself.  I hope to do the same on my first Regent trip next year.  I called Regent, and they told me I had to apply through my TA.  So my TA has submitted an application and we are waiting to hear the answer.

--Karen

16 minutes ago, Sharle said:

There was a similar question and thread regarding this same issue. The bottom line was that several people said you could do it on Regent, contact them for details.

Yes, I was the OP/TS on that thread.  What I am saying now, in follow up, is that I could NOT do it through Regent.  They told me I had to go through my TA.

16 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Yes, I was the OP/TS on that thread.  What I am saying now, in follow up, is that I could NOT do it through Regent.  They told me I had to go through my TA.

Not true.  I boarded Navigator this past October in NY. About a month on advance I filled out a form with my friend's passport info (she used this for ID) and emailed it in to RSSC to request a visitor to board with me on embarkation day.  Received authorization within a couple of days.  Met her at the pier and we boarded together.  She stayed on board for a couple of hours to see the ship venues, have lunch and a drink or two then disembarked.  Easy peasy. 

Edited by Kwaj girl

Regent told me otherwise, so I guess I talked to the wrong person there.  I wonder how one manages to reach the right person.   It has been a while since my TA submitted the form, and so far no word from Regent.  My cruise is not until October, though, so maybe that is why they could not answer as quickly. 

Did you have the guests on embarkation day?  Also, do you know if it has to be the passport, or would a California drivers license be sufficient?  The drivers license numbers are what I had.  My TA did not ask for the passport numbers, but I could get them if needed.

--Karen

On 12/17/2019 at 6:34 AM, NewToCruising2013 said:

Just get the process started as soon as possible.  If they will allow it, you have to provide information about the guests, including passport info, and they have to provide same.  Approach your TA, or your agent if booking direct.  March 1st is cutting it a bit close, so time is of the essence.

They will charge you if there's a meal involved, but it's modest, and in my experience, they frequently don't get around to actually adding the charge to your account.

3 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Regent told me otherwise, so I guess I talked to the wrong person there.  I wonder how one manages to reach the right person................

Did you have the guests on embarkation day?  Also, do you know if it has to be the passport, or would a California drivers license be sufficient? ........

Getting the right answers from Regent Customer services can often be a challenge, as often the rep is poorly trained. I have been sailing Regent since 2001 and IMO this  has never changed.  That is why it is always so very important to have a very knowledgeable Travel agent who books a lot with Regent.

Your guest needs  to pre-submit a copy of either a Government issued ID such as a driver license or Passport.  In the past I have had my guest just photo their ID with their phone and email it to me and then I attached it to my email request to Regent.  I have had invited guest and family visit the ship many times and the process is very easy.

Embarkation day might be a problem. Never tried it on an embarkation day before. But since the ship often has Travel Agent fam visits on embarkation days, this probably can be done.

J

I doubt a driver's license would work, but you should ask.  And I believe it's port-dependent.  The two ports that I know about are Manta, Ecuador, where we had friends onboard for lunch, and Rio, where our friends had our tour guides onboard for dinner.  The latter was on embarkation day, but it was an overnight.

We invited two guests on board from Bermuda while we were on Explorer in November. We asked at reception and had to give three days notice and we had to provide date of birth, nationality and passport number. We were due to stay overnight. 

We arranged to meet near reception at7pm and they had to show the documentation that we had filled in on the application form. We were going to go to Compass Rose for dinner. There was no charge for this. 

As it turned out we missed Bermuda completely because of weather, but the process was easy to do while onboard. It is good advertising for Regent if the guests  have a good time on board. 

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Ask your TA to send you a RSSC Visitor Request Form which must be submitted no later than 30 days prior to the sailing date. Once received your request will be confirmed via email at approximately 25 days prior to the sailing date.

You will need to include the following information: Date of Visit, Booking Number, Ship, Port, Travel Agent Name, Travel Agent Phone and Travel Agent E-mail.  Required Visitor Information: First Name, Last Name, Birth Place, Date of Birth, Passport or ID Number and Nationality.

I hope this helps.