Bridge and engine room are in condition Red! (Breakaway, Jan 2020)

fstuff1

8 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

W t f? 

I'm currently onboard.

No additional info has been given, yet.

IMG_20200129_170228210.jpg

IMG_20200129_170235659.jpg

Wait, what??? "Condition RED" ?? I sure hope that this is just a test for your sake and mine, we board this coming Saturday

Condition red on NCL ships means the ship is entering or leaving port, and the bridge and engine rooms are busy with the  business of maneuvering the ship, so calls to either for other than emergencies are prohibited.  It also means that opening the watertight doors in the crew areas is prohibited, so the crew needs to go up and down the stairs up to the I-95 deck, rather than opening the doors.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 18

Just now, chengkp75 said:

Condition red on NCL ships means the ship is entering or leaving port, and the bridge and engine rooms are busy with the  business of maneuvering the ship, so calls to either for other than emergencies are prohibited.

Thank you for letting us know. I knew you could explain it. 

33 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

read the preceding sentence.

So it occurred several times during your cruise.  What does that have to do with the question I asked which is how you came to know it's just a test?

3 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

So it occurred several times during your cruise.  What does that have to do with the question I asked which is how you came to know it's just a test?

As mentioned above, it is standard operating procedure at every port. It isn't something that they test. Had the trivia game continued long enough, a notification regarding condition green would have been broadcast. Its a communication intended for crew. Nothing to be concerned about, although I could see how the pop-up could create unnecessary concern for passengers during a trivia game.

4 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Nothing to be concerned about, although I could see how the pop-up could create unnecessary concern for passengers during a trivia game.

Perhaps one of the trivia questions should be "What does condition red mean on this ship?"

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Paul Bogle said:

This occurred several times on our sailing January 11 to 22. It's just a test.

(the above picture was taken of the big screen in the atrium)

So obviously it isn't a test and it's an actual code that means something to staff. 

So your in the atrium and this comes up on the screen.

Instead of asking the plentiful staff in the atrium, instead of walking over to guest services or even wondering why there is not mass hysteria......

I know....... let's take a picture and put a post on Cruise Critic, someone must know.

Good job there was no internet on the Titanic, there would be no survivors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

I am also currently on the Breakaway. Stayed on board today in Costa Maya & they were announcing all morning they were doing tests for the staff & to ignore all the announcements. It's all mandatory stuff they have to do

• Like 1

Now the question why have that pop-up with the "RED" condition posted on TV monitors and screens

in public areas of the ship -  Ignore that man behind the curtain - the YELLOW brick road (I95) is RED !

I would venture that there are a lot of things going on that are never noticed and attention called to like getting underway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Now the question why have that pop-up with the "RED" condition posted on TV monitors and screens

in public areas of the ship -  Ignore that man behind the curtain - the YELLOW brick road (I95) is RED !

I would venture that there are a lot of things going on that are never noticed and attention called to like getting underway.

The cruise staff use their work laptops to run the trivia. The popups are pushed out to the crew to alert them of bridge status. The laptop screen is duplicated to the large screen in the atrium. That is the only way passengers see the alerts. They aren't displayed publicly throughout the ship. I agree, lots of behind the scenes activities that are not relevant to the guests.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Condition red on NCL ships means the ship is entering or leaving port, and the bridge and engine rooms are busy with the  business of maneuvering the ship, so calls to either for other than emergencies are prohibited.  It also means that opening the watertight doors in the crew areas is prohibited, so the crew needs to go up and down the stairs up to the I-95 deck, rather than opening the doors.

Thanks!  Makes sense!

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

The cruise staff use their work laptops to run the trivia ... popups are pushed out to the crew ... screen is duplicated to the large screen in the atrium ... passengers see the alerts. They aren't displayed publicly throughout the ship ... not relevant to the guests.

This !!  Breakaway, like other NCL ships, has multi WiFi SSiD running on its inTRAnet bands, both visible ones and hidden wireless signals.  You can "spot" them on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz band.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeTec said:

I am also currently on the Breakaway. Stayed on board today in Costa Maya & they were announcing all morning they were doing tests for the staff & to ignore all the announcements. It's all mandatory stuff they have to do

Yes, they do staff drills weekly, on port days so lots of people aren’t aware that they happened.

It doesn’t mean that everything is a test though. From the comments here it is quite clear that the pictures in the OPs post were not a test, but valid crew notifications being shown on the big screen.

1 hour ago, romalley99 said:

I saw someone mention above the correct answer. Red means they are approaching or departing a port. Red begins hours before the ship even gets to the port, and can last a few hours after departure. Nothing to worry about.

Not really.  Code red will be called shortly before the pilot arrives and be canceled shortly after he departs.  Now, if you mean hours before "docking", then this can be the case for ports like NYC, Baltimore, and NOLA, where the arrival/departure maneuver lasts hours.

• Like 1

The content on the big screen is powered by a crew connected laptop/tablet when they are displaying that type of content.  What you are seeing is the broadcast notification sent to the crew mobile devices.  Since the big screen is nothing but a mirror of the laptop screen the message would pop up until dismissed on the owner.

• Like 1