Worst canelation policy in the cruise industry

1 hour ago, lowbass said:

I would say that the vast majority of people don't buy trip insurance because they can't afford it....

This is not an easy situation, no matter where we stand on this travel insurance issue. I feel terrible for the OP’s predicament, and I hope that they can find peace during this tough moment in their lives. I can only pray that I don’t ever find myself in a similar situation. 

That aside, I just purchased a comprehensive travel insurance policy for our upcoming 7 night.  This policy covers my family of 4. Everything from lost luggage, trip interruption or cancellation, to $500,000 worth of emergency evacuation. The cost of my cruise before insurance was $2,500, and with insurance it will be $2,590. For me, it would be hard to forego insurance, and blame that decision on affordability. 

I could’ve taken a calculated risk and made a conscious decision to decline insurance and allocate those $90 somewhere else. But I’d rather cutback a bit on my onboard spending (which will most likely surpass $90) than to go without insurance. I humbly don’t believe that most people don’t purchase insurance because of affordability, but because they choose to spend that money on more tangible things. 

• Like 7

If the cruise line is supposed to refund cancellations for reasons like this, then why should anyone purchase insurance? Insurance becomes pretty much worthless if the cruise line allows anyone to cancel as long as they have a good reason.

Edited by MightyMike
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Most of the responses on here make me sick. Yet soooo predictable. Yes, let’s defend the billion dollar company. God forbid they show any sort of compassion.

What does RC lose if they issue a future cruise credit? That’d be absolutely nothing. They lose nothing. They still keep their precious money, and could probably sell that cabin again and thus they make more money. 

But no, let’s defend the company and scold people for not buying insurance. We shouldnt have to buy insurance. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, BigHouseFootball said:

Most of the responses on here make me sick. Yet soooo predictable. Yes, let’s defend the billion dollar company. God forbid they show any sort of compassion.

What does RC lose if they issue a future cruise credit? That’d be absolutely nothing. They lose nothing. They still keep their precious money, and could probably sell that cabin again and thus they make more money. 

But no, let’s defend the company and scold people for not buying insurance. We shouldnt have to buy insurance. 

I tend to agree that in a case like this the company should try to waive policy and allow a  rebooking.  

But, I don't understand what you intend when you say "we shouldn't have to buy insurance".  Assuming you don't have the financial resources to absorb them, do you expect others to pay for your losses?  

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I tend to agree that in a case like this the company should try to waive policy and allow a  rebooking.  

But, I don't understand what you intend when you say "we shouldn't have to buy insurance".  Assuming you don't have the financial resources to absorb them, do you expect others to pay for your losses?  

I agree, I find a lot of the posts here puzzling. Maybe because I'm from a different country.  

That is what Travel Insurance is for.  Unexpected cancellations / illnesses / other things covered by the policy etc..

I've never travelled without it.

What if you fall seriously ill onboard and have to be helivac'd off - who is supposed to pay for that?

Get injured on a shore excursion in a foreign port

or, as in this case..

have a sick relative or the like.  

Sure, RC could give them a FCC in this case as an act of good will but do I think they have to /should be required to - absolutely not - that's what Travel Insurance is for.

JMO

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

One would think that with all the ships out sailing and much competition, that a thing called GOOD WILL will prevail.  Guess not.

But please try to be understanding all you cc's and stop quoting the Rules and Cancel policy.

This just goes beyond it and some compassion should prevail.  Especially since they just want credit and plan on being future customers.  To me that is the part that is a slap in the face to the OP.

Any time someone calls a customer service person for a situation like this, it should immediately be turned over to a supervisor who has more authority to judge the situation and best handle.  Good will has been lost on an industry that might one day regret it.

Sounds great, BUT, I am fairly sure with as many passengers there are in a single day, they have multiples of these types of situations every sailing.  Why should they sail with empty cabins, when that is what insurance is for.  If not, why are there insurance companies at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MightyMike said:

If the cruise line is supposed to refund cancellations for reasons like this, then why should anyone purchase insurance? Insurance becomes pretty much worthless if the cruise line allows anyone to cancel as long as they have a good reason.

Again, the OP did not ask for a refund, and that's not what the topic is about. 

And as above, insurance remains far from worthless, especially the cost of medical coverage which is more important.

6 hours ago, swooldri said:

This is what Travel insurance is for.  If you purchase Insurance and RCI reimburses you (without having insurance) why purchase insurance?  ???????

Op is not asking for reimbursement, just to use the money paid as credit towards another future cruise.  This board is like Chinese Whispers!! It changes rapidly from the original post.  Agree goodwill and retaining customers is not seen as an important business strategy these day unfortunately. My condolences to the OP.  I lost my mum last year. Its a horrible time. 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, silentbob007 said:

Your rates in the UK reflect the cost of your protection.

Not true - Depending on age, travel insurance can be very cheap and often even free as a work perk

This is not about insurance, it is about a global company's compassion for its customers

It appears that no-one commenting here has read or studied the history of marketing, especially in America, where the most innovative approaches have taken place over the past 150 years. The day's of caring for customers, going above and beyond with service, are past - It also seems that most commenting here agree with that sentiment, which in turn suggests they believe modern day global companies should be able to take the lead in this process and have a right to treat customers by a book they have written

During the 1930s, a time when corporations and companies desperately needed their customers they went above and beyond. Now, in the day of global power wielded by companies that are larger and more powerful than governments, the power has shifted. This is why social media can do what the hell it likes and avoid taxes

I understand why some of you believe the companies terms should rule the day in this case, but I just think it is sad that we live in an age where individual situations are looked at by lawyers and accountants rather than people that care and respect their customers, without whom they would not exist

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigHouseFootball said:

What does RC lose if they issue a future cruise credit? That’d be absolutely nothing. They lose nothing.  We shouldnt have to buy insurance. 

They lose the revenue they would get for the future cruise they are giving away.  Mother only has days to live, so it is a last minute cancellation, no guarantee RCI can sell the cabin for the original cruise.  No one has to buy insurance, we never do, willing to be self insured.  The great American dream, having our own insurance company.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

Op is not asking for reimbursement, just to use the money paid as credit towards another future cruise.  This board is like Chinese Whispers!! It changes rapidly from the original post.  Agree goodwill and retaining customers is not seen as an important business strategy these day unfortunately.

OP had another type of event happen with Carnival, and they “helped” them out of the situation.  Did that goodwill return as more business to Carnival?  Doubt it as he is on the RC boards.   

Direct quote, from the first post of the OP

”I should also add that several years ago, I got sick just before a Carnival cruise and called the company explained what happened to me, and they allowed me to take my paid in full cruise fare and apply it to another cruise 2 months later.  That situation was not nearly as serious as my mother's.  RCL - Never Again!”

Now they are in the same predicament now with RC and complaining about it. Knowing that the  mother’s situation was more serious why would they not have have prepared for any outcome.  They should have know better and planned ahead, especially after the previous situation.

Perhaps customers should learn how to prepare for what they need, instead of expecting that they get treated differently than those who do.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BigHouseFootball said:

If you crash your car, do you expect a free car? No

if your house fell apart, would you expect someone to build you a new house for free? No

Insurance exists for these exact sort of reasons. If RCCL does someone for one person they've got to do it for everyone, then there'd be all sorts of reasons and excuses come out from everyone as to why they can't travel.

The billion dollar company is a billion dollar company for a reason ... the cancellation policies are also very clear.

• Like 15

12 hours ago, lowbass said:

That's what I don't get about a lot of these replies to this post. Many here are saying "RCI does not have to be generous", "that's what trip protection is for". All true but.....

RCI is not generous and they potentially are losing 2 customers forever all for not being flexible and a little generous. 

they are no going to miss  those two customers in any way shape or form.   every day they get hundreds of not thousands of new customers.  

OP:   your comparing what Carnival did for you  when YOU, the cruise goer, was sick and had to cancel is in no way  equivalent to what you are requesting Royal do for you since your Mother is  not on the cruise.      if you did not have  cancel for any reason insurance, or insurance that specifically  covers cancellation due to death or serious illness of  immediate family, that is not Royal's fault.  or problem.

all of you  saying that it would be a good will gesture..  again,. why?   poor planning on someone else's part does not mean they are entitled to or deserving of  the exact resolution they prefer.  why is it that everyone demands exceptions be made in their favor?  every company has to draw the line somewhere.  nobody deserves special treatment because of *insert  circumstance here*  

• Like 6

This reminds me of a person who has a car with only liability insurance.  The person is involved in a auto accident that they are clearly at fault in and their car is destroyed.  The owner calls his insurance company to get the car repaired and finds out that their policy is liability only and is a total loss,    They cannot accept this and decide to tell everyone they know how heartless and uncaring this particular company is.  I have not read if the OP had purchased insurance but if he did not then who takes on the risk when the proper insurance is not purchased?   

• Like 4

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

Op is not asking for reimbursement, just to use the money paid as credit towards another future cruise.  This board is like Chinese Whispers!!

No. The distinction between reimbursement and a future cruise credit is irrelevant. Both are equally forbidden by the cruise line's policies. 

When this happens, the customer is at the mercy of the cruise line. Sometimes they will bend the rules in the name of compassion. Sometimes they won't. Consider it a gift if they do.

This is what insurance is for. Yes, insurance covers other things too like medical issues, but the value of insurance becomes far less if you can expect to get the same thing for free from the cruise line.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

No. The distinction between reimbursement and a future cruise credit is irrelevant. Both are equally forbidden by the cruise line's policies. 

When this happens, the customer is at the mercy of the cruise line. Sometimes they will bend the rules in the name of compassion. Sometimes they won't. Consider it a gift if they do.

This is what insurance is for. Yes, insurance covers other things too like medical issues, but the value of insurance becomes far less if you can expect to get the same thing for free from the cruise line.

I agree insurance is important. We have had annual insurance policies for years and I wouldn't dream of going to another country without it, even EU where we have our reciprocal EHIC card. Though we have had the good fortune in 40 plus years of traveling of never having to make a claim 

Edited by sgmn

12 hours ago, lowbass said:

That's what I don't get about a lot of these replies to this post. Many here are saying "RCI does not have to be generous", "that's what trip protection is for". All true but.....

RCI is not generous and they potentially are losing 2 customers forever all for not being flexible and a little generous. 

I am just curious. A customer walks into the Tesla dealer and buys a new car. He chooses not to purchase auto insurance because it is too expensive and he can't afford to buy both the car and the insurance. But he really, really wants the car so he gambles and buys it without insurance.  3 months later the car is totaled. Would it be reasonable to go to Tesla and say "Hey, I am still making payments so you need to give me a new car to make payments on? Elon Musk is a billionaire, he should be generous."

99.9999999 percent of the people would side with Tesla and say , the customer chose not to purchase protection for the car.  And Tesla would have 6 more customers lined up to take the disgruntled customer.

Royal Caribbean is not responsible for people taking vacations they can't afford if they can't afford to buy insurance. Or people who wish to gamble with their vacation money.  Insurance is a gamble for anything. I personally like to be a bit over covered for peace of mind. I buy comprehensive car insurance, house insurance, rental insurance for my college kid, an umbrella policy to cover guests in my house and other things, a jewelry policy, all policies I may never use.  This upcoming cruise, I can't get around the pre-existing condition policy so not only do I have regular cancel for any reason for the family, I also have GeoBlue and medjet for myself.  I consider travel insurance as part of the cost, just like buying car insurance is part of the cost of owning a vehicle.

If you don't buy insurance, you take a gamble. When gambling, sometimes you lose and sometimes you win. But you don't expect the house to cover your losses.

That said, my deepest condolences to the OP.  You must be hurting terribly after receiving such a grim prognosis on your mom. Wishing you peace and healing while you go through this most stressing time.

• Like 8

It is a big heartless company, that's a fact. I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sorry for the way Royal Caribbean has treated you. When I think about it, it makes no sense whatsoever why they couldn't just reschedule your cruise. Really, they wouldn't be losing a single penny by doing so, so why not do it? If I paid $5,000 for a cruise and I had to reschedule (not cancel) why can't I? What would Royal be losing out on? Nothing. I can't think of a single reason why Royal Caribbean can't take that $5,000 and apply it to a different cruise. Their ships all sail full anyway. If I cancel my $5k cruise, someone else will pick it up, they're not out anything. Heck, Royal could probably make a little money by charging a small fee to reschedule.

Edited by rusty nut

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

Op is not asking for reimbursement, just to use the money paid as credit towards another future cruise.  This board is like Chinese Whispers!! It changes rapidly from the original post.  Agree goodwill and retaining customers is not seen as an important business strategy these day unfortunately. My condolences to the OP.  I lost my mum last year. Its a horrible time. 

The thing is, this is not free for Royal. They lose the money they could have made on the current cabin that now sails empty.  It is akin to the customer getting 2 cabins for the price of one.

One person might seem like a drop in the bucket, but where do they draw the line? The first 100 people claiming a death in the family gets a free credit? The first 1,000? Then you have the 101st person who has a major crises and can't cruise blasting the company because they can't make accommodations for one more person.  Better for Royal to draw a clear line and say that is what travel insurance is for, talk to them.  Otherwise, they have a softer policy that is ripe for ripoff.

And for those that think a generous policy wouldn't be manipulated, one only has to look at Disney and see all the boards that exist on how to get around rules.  From the smaller how to get around height restrictions to the complete overhauling of their generous program for disabled guests because people were abusing the policy so badly.

While I feel horrible for the OP and his family for what they are currently going through, losing a parent is never easy, I also don't fault the company for sticking to their policies.  If RCI has a change of heart and grants the exemption, then good for them. If they don't grant it, they should not be lambasted for following policy, especially if guests chose not to buy insurance for this very type of thing. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

It is a big heartless company, that's a fact. I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sorry for the way Royal Caribbean has treated you. When I think about it, it makes no sense whatsoever why they couldn't just reschedule your cruise. Really, they wouldn't be losing a single penny by doing so, so why not do it? If I paid $5,000 for a cruise and I had to reschedule (not cancel) why can't I? What would Royal be losing out on? Nothing. I can't think of a single reason why Royal Caribbean can't take that $5,000 and apply it to a different cruise. Their ships all sail full anyway. If I cancel my $5k cruise, someone else will pick it up, they're not out anything. 

The cabin that now sails empty

The revenue of on board sales and excursions for the cancelled cruise

The food and drink that has been allocated and purchased for those customers

and much more

It is a fallacy to say that they are not losing a single dime.  

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

When I think about it, it makes no sense whatsoever why they couldn't just reschedule your cruise. Really, they wouldn't be losing a single penny by doing so, so why not do it? If I paid $5,000 for a cruise and I had to reschedule (not cancel) why can't I? What would Royal be losing out on? Nothing. I can't think of a single reason why Royal Caribbean can't take that $5,000 and apply it to a different cruise. Their ships all sail full anyway.

That's the thing, though.... if the OP doesn't take his cruise, then his room is EMPTY for a whole week.  The ship isn't full, and the cruise line is out the money for that room (AND the on-board revenue those passengers would have brought) for that week.  

If RC applies that $5000 to a future cruise, where is the cruise line's money for THIS cruise???

• Like 3

12 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I agree about the reasons for travel insurance but OP is requesting a change in travel dates.....I assume since he didn't have insurance. Changing dates would cost RCI $$$ and would have been covered had OP had travel insurance. 

Which begs the question; how is RC losing money by rescheduling a guests cruise?

1 minute ago, rusty nut said:

Which begs the question; how is RC losing money by rescheduling a guests cruise?

If that cabinet is empty on the orginal cruise then they have lost the proceeds.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1