HEALTHY 70+ CRUISERS, ARE YOU STILL A GO?

Spif Barwunkel

8 hours ago, Bluegirl0 said:

Just an FYI. After speaking to Norwegian, there WILL NOT be a quarantine on the ship. If a person is found to be sick, they will be taken off the ship. I will be speaking to them again on Tuesday and will be asking more questions. I had my heart set on my May 1st cruise.

Depending the country of disembark.  If its in the US, Japan the ship will be quarantined.  I can't believe they said that. The government decides when a ship can dock, not NCL.  Otherwise the Grand would have be docked right away.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cookiegirl1329 said:

We are booked on the Edge in October for a B2B .. the Adriatic and transatlantic.  Hubby is 73 and I am 72.  I have a compromised immune system and other health issues.  He has his issues too.  All of our excursions are booked and I was ready to book air when this all started. Have put air on hold.  In some ways I think it is harder to make a decision because we do have time before final payment is due.  If we were sailing this spring we would have already cancelled.  Additionally, suffer from silent reflux which causes me to cough.   So far, medication has not made the cough go away.  I carry a letter from my physician which says I am being treated for a chronic cough,  but I doubt that would be helpful in the current situation.  I see the looks people give me when I cough.  Even my friends are nervous being around me.

Last week my travel agent suggested we wait a bit but that was before new Celebrity policy was announced.  I am really torn.   Cruise is months away, but I still wonder if we should cancel and take the refund.  Would lose our insurance costs probably but we would have peace of mind.  Any thoughts?

If you use Flights By Celebrity to book your air travel, you get a reservation and seats, pay nothing until final payment.  Maybe the way to go at this point?

We are in our mid 70's. We have only been on five cruises. One in 2016, one in 2017, one in 2018, two in 2019. All have been fantastic, except that my wife and I have taken turns getting sick on every cruise. 

We plan on taking a land vacation this year.

Edited by fishkill
  • Like 1

We cancelled!!  And, it's not because of age--here's why we cancelled:  We go on a cruise to relax, enjoy the décor, the food, etc.  How can we relax worrying-- don't touch that, aw, that person sneezed, did they disinfect the railing, etc. Are we going to be stuck on the ship?  Not worth the worry!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

If you use Flights By Celebrity to book your air travel, you get a reservation and seats, pay nothing until final payment.  Maybe the way to go at this point?

The difference is if you are more than 30 days before your cruise you will get at least 25% cash. As For airlines, Celebrity flights are NOT necessarily a full credit. Some airlines are waiving fees and others charging some $$.  Likely to have those regulations get tighter if airlines are buried with cancellations.

17 hours ago, Firepath said:

I'm 60, husband 70. Our next cruise isn't until August, so we're not cancelling; yet. The fatality rates for older persons here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/  are pretty sobering though.

Forgetting the chance of becoming ill are you willing to take a cruise to unknown ports? Impossible to cruise SE Asia as from Qatar and Dubai to India to Thailand ports are closed. Several places in Med closed - Italy, Malta and Russia. France maybe with gatherings banned.  At least 4. in Caribbean including Jamacia. Toss in Korea and where will you cruise.

46 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

France maybe with gatherings banned.

You mentioned this in a number of posts, but I've seen no indication anywhere that  the prohibition of "gatherings" of over 1000 people was ever intended to mean occupants of a cruise ship any more than it would occupants of an office building, apartment building or military base.  

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

19 hours ago, RodPat said:

We are 74 and 73 and are still going on our April 11 cruise on Equinox.  We are healthy and feel like we can take precautions to not get sick.  You only have one life to live so you might as well live it.

Pat

Total agree with you , we will be there .

seasonal flu kills  over 600,000 people worldwide  every year.

That puts things in perspective for me . 

Edited by Lindypops
  • Like 1

Seems like there are  many authorities out there who are adept at predicting Celebrity's response to quarantine, based on the Princess response to quarantine.

Can you predict what your regular cruise expereince on Celebrity is going to be like, based on Princess reviews? Do you read accounts from Princess passengers to decide to cruise Celebrity?  Until X is faced with the challenge, is is nothing more than an assumption, and we all know what that is worth.

"You know nothing Jon Snow"!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 4:06 PM, Lindypops said:

I am 70 and my DW is 64 and we are booked on an Alaska Cruise with X in June. If our flight from the UK to Vancouver goes we will be on it. If the ship goes we will be on that too. We are booked on a Rockies tour after the cruise. We will be on that as well if it goes. Early days yet , but it could all go belly up by June. If the medical experts think it is safe, that's good enough for us, but we may put Italy on the back burner.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If the medical experts think it is safe, that's good enough for us

I am guessing you don't mean the medical experts saying it is not safe and don't go. Selective choosing of experts?

How safe will it be for anyone you come into contact with on your return if you get infected?

Edited by mayleeman

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

but we may put Italy on the back burner.

Our August 1st Cruise visits 4 Italian ports, so I cancelled our excursions this morning.

i was concerned that my money might not be refunded if I left it too late, as I am worried that if Celebrity do indeed change the itinerary or even cancel the cruise, then I might no longer have access to my cruise planner.

We're in our mid 70s & in reasonably good health with some issues, scheduled for a Western Med cruise this August. SInce it's outside the Cruise with Confidence program date we will  decide before final payment in May in order to get a refund instead of a fcc. With the CDC recent warning for seniors not to cruise and our children also saying the same, we'll wait a little while but currently leaning to cancel the cruise. We also have booked air with miles so we would have to pay some fees to have the miles put back into our account.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 9:15 AM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Although Covid19 has no age discrimination, it seems that most advisories emphasize the importance of 70+ folks not cruising or flying. Granted, those with health issues are probably better off to not put themselves in such confined spaces. However, lately it seems as though healthy seniors are also advised not to travel. I understand the concern and agree, to a certain extent. Whereas people of all ages are cancelling, should 70+ folks in excellent health assume it is automatic that they do not put themselves in harms way? My spouse and I are in excellent health and have four X cruises booked through April 2021. The first is on Infinity in June, Barcelona to Venice via Spain, Greece and Croatia. If indeed this cruise remains a go, we plan to be onboard. We will make up our own minds and do our own thing. But I am curious, other 70+ cruisers, are you still a go?      

I would worry more about the plane trips getting you to the port.  We are on the X Edge this Sunday, but we live 45 minutes from Port Everglades so we don't have to fly.  My husband is a lung cancer survivor, and has mild COPD.  His pulmonologist said "Go and have a good time.  Your lungs aren't that bad".  I hope I don't live to eat my words, but I think this hysteria has gotten way out of control.  Of course, we are carrying antibacterial EVERYTHING, and will take as many precautions as possible, as well as avoiding the buffet. Happy cruising!