Food for thought: Who pays if you are "quarantined"?

Timmay77

Booked to go on the Sun on March 23rd. I am not canceling unless something drastic happens between now and then......

Here is my question though. If we cruise, and someone on the ship falls ill, and the entire ship is quarantined off coast for 30 days, who pays for the room while we are there? I called NCL and asked the question, they did not have an answer. "You shouldn't have to pay" they said, but they didn't have a policy or anything. I am going to need more than a random customer service agent agreeing I shouldn't be responsible for the cost. I read in another thread that RCCL has a policy that states the passengers are responsible for any time spent on the ship after there disembarking date.

Per another coronavirus thread on here:

Just be aware that NCL has in their terms and agreements that passengers are responsible for costs during a quarantine.  In cases of quarantine of the ship involving detention of guests, each Guest must bear all risk and expense thereby caused and will be charged for food and accommodation during the period of detention, payable day by day,  From their terms and agreement: if maintained on board the ship, and for all other quarantine fees and expenses assessed or incurred in respect of the Guest. https://www.ncl.com/de/en/about-us/terms-conditions

2 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Per another coronavirus thread on here:

Just be aware that NCL has in their terms and agreements that passengers are responsible for costs during a quarantine.  In cases of quarantine of the ship involving detention of guests, each Guest must bear all risk and expense thereby caused and will be charged for food and accommodation during the period of detention, payable day by day,  From their terms and agreement: if maintained on board the ship, and for all other quarantine fees and expenses assessed or incurred in respect of the Guest. https://www.ncl.com/de/en/about-us/terms-conditions

This is the type of open-ended item that IMHO calls for escalation to a supervisor or a written response.

• Like 1

The contract you signed, Paragraph 6 Vessel and Voyage, subparahraph (e) states

(e) Compliance with Government Orders: The Carrier shall have the absolute right, without liability for compensation to the Guest of any kind, to comply with governmental orders, recommendations or directions, including but not limited to those pertaining to health, security, immigration, customs or safety. In the case of quarantine, the Guest agrees to bear all risks, losses and expenses caused thereby and will be charged for maintenance, payable day-by-day, if maintained on board the vessel for such period of quarantine. The Guest assumes all risks and losses occasioned by delay or detention howsoever arising. Costs connected with embarkation or debarkation of Guests and/or baggage and costs of transfer between vessel and shore as a result of the circumstances enumerated in this paragraph must be borne by the Guest.

It would fall to either you (and then your insurance would cover it) or  (if you're lucky) the gov't body who was ordering the quarantine, depending on which gov't, policies, and etc...

Edited by Named-Tawny
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The contract you signed, Paragraph 6 Vessel and Voyage, subparahraph (e) states

(e) Compliance with Government Orders: The Carrier shall have the absolute right, without liability for compensation to the Guest of any kind, to comply with governmental orders, recommendations or directions, including but not limited to those pertaining to health, security, immigration, customs or safety. In the case of quarantine, the Guest agrees to bear all risks, losses and expenses caused thereby and will be charged for maintenance, payable day-by-day, if maintained on board the vessel for such period of quarantine. The Guest assumes all risks and losses occasioned by delay or detention howsoever arising. Costs connected with embarkation or debarkation of Guests and/or baggage and costs of transfer between vessel and shore as a result of the circumstances enumerated in this paragraph must be borne by the Guest.

Personally, if I'm on the fence about go/no go, the information about what my potential financial exposure could be would be essential in helping me make an informed decision, don't you think?  The language above is agreeing to a blank check.  Also consider that at a minimum, I would expect there to be additional DSC and/or increased tipping to compensate crew appropriately, separate from the above.

Does anyone know if this is the type of thing, in general, that would be covered by trip insurance (that was taken out pre-coronavirus, of course)?  And is it a trip delay claim or something else?

Just now, erdoran said:

Does anyone know if this is the type of thing, in general, that would be covered by trip insurance (that was taken out pre-coronavirus, of course)?  And is it a trip delay claim or something else?

This would fall under trip interruption insurance.

• Like 1

Chase Sapphire Card language excerpts - I'm not a lawyer, read your OWN policy and call if you have questions.  No guarantee YOUR policy will be the same:

For Trip Interruption (covered): Coverage begins on Your Scheduled Departure Date and ends on Your Scheduled Return Date. In the event the Scheduled Departure Date and/or the Scheduled Return Date are delayed, or the point and time of departure and/or point and time of return are changed because of circumstances over which neither the Travel Supplier nor You have control, the term of coverage shall be automatically adjusted in accordance with Your or the Travel Supplier’s notice to Us of the delay or change.

• Quarantine of You or Your Traveling Companion imposed by a Physician or by a competent governmental authority having jurisdiction, due to health reasons

====

not covered;

•  Default of the Common Carrier resulting from Financial Insolvency or Financial Insolvency of a Travel Agency, Tour Operator, or Travel Supplier
  • Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a Travel Supplier unless the cancellation is the result of Severe Weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation, or unless specifically covered herein

16 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

This would fall under trip interruption insurance.

You'll need to check the policy, a lot are reporting that their insurance won't cover epidemics/pandemics. This may be doubly true if it's a US company as there's a US State Department travel advisory advising US citizens not to travel on a cruise ship.

Also, the US has been quarantining people at no cost and flying them back from overseas (for Diamond Princess) or across the US (for non-California residents on Grant Princess) at no cost. But their travel advisory talks about how "While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities." I take this to mean the flights not be available, or it might be like Wuhan they charged people for the flight back. Heck, I suppose they could start charging for quarantine facilities if people were traveling against a State Department travel advisory, who knows.

Well, I'm on the fence about go or no go but this sure packs a punch. I'm not sure I have a CC with a  large enough credit limit to pay the alcohol I'd need.  

Seriously though,  while I do have insurance, I just think, considering all factors, I might cancel.  I'm in the 14% range so I might be ok, but, added costs just to be quarantined... I don't think so. 

Plus, I have 3 add'l cruises already booked.  The Dawn to NY would be a fun cruise though. But, I also worry about travelling through NYC, both ways.  

As far as I am concerned everything should be covered. Also if you had to pay for food or beverages they will have to compensate and refund you. I mean its  not your fault that you are locked up somewhere and have to spend money on things you didnt plan to spend. Also I wonder how long does it take for the government to respond to such occasion. What will happen if you are travelling in Europe and you were detained say in Italy? Does anyone know how to contact the US government? 
In any case I would keep a safe deposit just in case of such incident if You are traveling. Just to be sure you got some cash if you are detained. And when I say cash I mean CASH, not an additional credit card or smth. 

• Like 1

I have good travel insurance, but this info might just tip the scales to not sailing. Can you imagine being stuck in your cabin or on a military base for two weeks, then slapped with a bill, for an amount you had not agreed to in advance, to house and feed you?  

• Like 4

It could be like going to the doctor on a cruise ship.  NCL can charge you for anything and everything.  And then you have to deal with any compensation you feel you deserve again and again.  Sorry folks🤕

Great reason to just put cash on your account and NOT bind a credit card to your onboard account.  We all know how shady NCL can be and the contract language allows them to charge you just about whatever they want during a quarantine.  Those nickels and dimes will add up.

12 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

I have good travel insurance, but this info might just tip the scales to not sailing. Can you imagine being stuck in your cabin or on a military base for two weeks, then slapped with a bill, for an amount you had not agreed to in advance, to house and feed you?  

That's the part that's really appalling.  They aren't saying just how much they are going to charge people.  Could it be equal to the amount you paid to go on the cruise?  Probably not, but it's  any number they want to come up with.  

• Like 1

i was stuck on a ship during hurrican harvey and a 7 day cruise turned into 13. this was on royal though.  but i was not charged for the extra days and not only that was given free drinks, great fresh food at miami port we had to dock for a day, and 13 cruise points instead of 7. so no i dont think they will force you to pay for extra days if its mandated. 

2 minutes ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

That's the part that's really appalling.  They aren't saying just how much they are going to charge people.  Could it be equal to the amount you paid to go on the cruise?  Probably not, but it's  any number they want to come up with.  

To my point about NCL should publish some guidance about $$ - cruise fare daily pro-rate based on what you paid, or some other specific amount?

• Like 2

I think the cruise lines would tend to not charge, and the US would tend to try to get people back. There's precedent for charging for flights home, but I've not heard of them charging for quarantine. I think they would tend not to, you want to encourage people to quarantine, and it's not like it'll be a billion people. But who knows. It's all fluid.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

You'll need to check the policy, a lot are reporting that their insurance won't cover epidemics/pandemics. This may be doubly true if it's a US company as there's a US State Department travel advisory advising US citizens not to travel on a cruise ship.

Yes, absolutely always check your specific policy for coverage.

My comment was regarding which part of the policy it would be under if covered.

I can not see them actually forcing passengers to pay this due to the horrendous publicity alone. Can you imagine? It would be like the airlines charging passengers for the extra fuel required for a medical divert landing. And good luck collecting the amount from them after the fact. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RussNJodi said:

I can not see them actually forcing passengers to pay this due to the horrendous publicity alone. Can you imagine? It would be like the airlines charging passengers for the extra fuel required for a medical divert landing. And good luck collecting the amount from them after the fact. 

When people who require quarantine get off a ship they go to onshore facilities for 14-30 days.  Those costs are billed to the individual

I will be using cash this time instead of giving them my debit card, and I will not be providing enough to cover this possibility. If they want to come after me later for charges incurred being, in essence, kidnapped against my will, I will fight it. But I doubt they will charge; I agree the publicity would be horrendous. Frankly the government should have to pay since they claim its for the “greater good” of others and they are making the choice to do it against most people’s, and presumably the cruise line’s, will.

• Like 1