April Sailings

Julieh40

I'm on the April 12th Cruise and it's baffling me that they've not cancelled it yet..  Do you think they haven't to see how many people canx on their own beforehand?  From what I've read, you don't get as much compensation if you do this and get more if the cruise line cancels the cruise..  I guess it's their way of saving money in the long run....

2 minutes ago, ScottVV said:

I'm on the April 12th Cruise and it's baffling me that they've not cancelled it yet..  Do you think they haven't to see how many people canx on their own beforehand?  From what I've read, you don't get as much compensation if you do this and get more if the cruise line cancels the cruise..  I guess it's their way of saving money in the long run....

Yeah. I feel like we're all in a great big game of Chicken with the cruise lines. They're hoping more people will voluntarily cancel so they can save money.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

Could be a lot of "Cruise to Nowhere" sailings starting in April, with the continued option to cancel for FCC

I don't believe "cruise to nowhere" sailings are a thing for at least the last few years.

26 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I don't believe "cruise to nowhere" sailings are a thing for at least the last few years.

CTN ... maybe in July or August, especially when ports will not open until then, at the earliest. 

The best guestimate from NY is that this pandemic won't peak for 45 days. See screenshot from governor's live morning briefing about beds, ICU and ventilators ***, etc. Lives will be lost as a result.  There is about zero chance for ports to open any time soon with these kinds of curves. 

*** For those confirmed & hospitalization indicated in NYC, 60% going to ICU and 44% need ventilators.  There are currently just 4,000 ventilators across the the State of NY - FEMA's SNS has hundreds more in secured storage, but it is not enough.  

IMG_20200317_103040.jpg

Edited by mking8288

I am sailing on April 12 - Best case scenario is that they cancel the cruise at this point.  I am not thinking I am going to get sick but the issue of being quarantined is too great - especially on the ship.  More likely we will see ports closing and/or cruise lines "recommended" to postpone further out (Disney, NCL etc) at least until the end of April or May.
I also have a river cruise in August that I am keeping my fingers crossed on but based on projections of virologists and mathematicians - not overly hopeful

1 hour ago, TACoor said:

We're scheduled for Italy and Greece at the end of May on Getaway. I doubt Getaway will even BE in the Med by then. Like others, we're not cancelling now to get FCC, hoping for a better offer when NCL cancels our trip. Big disappointment, though. It's our 50th wedding anniversary! Guess that makes us elderly, huh?

We are supposed to be on the TA to get her there. 

15 hours ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

I'm hoping as I sail on Breakaway April 18th.  Got a great price and lots of OBC to boot.  If I cancel I lose the low price and all the OBC.  Chances are same cruise will cost plenty more down the road if NCL is still in business and not Bankrupt.

If they do end up canceling my cruise, I'm hoping they will still offer the 150% FCC as I'd opt for that versus straight refund. Yes, I am being a gambler at this point. Also looking to pick up 100 shares on NCL below $10/share.

We can be hopeful and wishful at the same time... 🙂

It fell to $9.90 a share earlier. I picked up 100 shares at $10 even. 

Even if they could sail in later April or May, it doesn't look good for the ports of call to allow them to dock by then. 

Currently looking forward to our late October cruise, but hope all the other cruises start back up well before then

If they are intending to operate, there are gonna be a lot of empty ships. I don't think they have any intention of operating. I am basing this on the notion that offering prices are ovrstated and frozen - have been for at least a week - at a time when there is tons of capacity. If they were going to operate the cruises, why not try to market to fill up the ship?

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAFA13 said:

It fell to $9.90 a share earlier. I picked up 100 shares at $10 even. 

Is 100 shares what it takes to get the OBC?Do you get the same amount of OBC no matter if you have more stock? What site did you buy thru? I have mutual funds at fidelity, probably just call there?

3 minutes ago, pootsien2 said:

Is 100 shares what it takes to get the OBC?Do you get the same amount of OBC no matter if you have more stock? What site did you buy thru? I have mutual funds at fidelity, probably just call there?

100 shares is what you need to get the OBC. Doesn’t matter how many shares over 100 you have, you get the same amount of OBC. I use TD Ameritrade but in your case I would call Fidelity. 

4 hours ago, GA Dave said:

I gave up on my September med cruise out of Civitavecchia.  No way will ships be sailing in April or May, unless a miracle were to sweep the land free of CV.

we have one in October leaving Civitavecchia too...We will keep the reservation for now.

4 hours ago, mking8288 said:

CTN ... maybe in July or August, especially when ports will not open until then, at the earliest. 

The best guestimate from NY is that this pandemic won't peak for 45 days. See screenshot from governor's live morning briefing about beds, ICU and ventilators ***, etc. Lives will be lost as a result.  There is about zero chance for ports to open any time soon with these kinds of curves. 

*** For those confirmed & hospitalization indicated in NYC, 60% going to ICU and 44% need ventilators.  There are currently just 4,000 ventilators across the the State of NY - FEMA's SNS has hundreds more in secured storage, but it is not enough.  

IMG_20200317_103040.jpg

I am so sorry to see that ventilators are officially in short supply, that is my nightmare (I'm asthmatic, hubby diabetic)

It's going to be a rough few months but hopefully systematic changes happen, so it does't happen again

19 hours ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

I'm hoping as I sail on Breakaway April 18th.  Got a great price and lots of OBC to boot.  If I cancel I lose the low price and all the OBC.  Chances are same cruise will cost plenty more down the road if NCL is still in business and not Bankrupt.

If they do end up canceling my cruise, I'm hoping they will still offer the 150% FCC as I'd opt for that versus straight refund. Yes, I am being a gambler at this point. Also looking to pick up 100 shares on NCL below $10/share.

We can be hopeful and wishful at the same time... 🙂

I'm on this same cruise...well, would have been. I'm holding out for a couple weeks hoping NCL will cancel. I already have a 2021 booked so I'd rather have the full refund.

2 hours ago, YVRBassElectric said:

I am so sorry to see that ventilators are officially in short supply, that is my nightmare (I'm asthmatic, hubby diabetic)

It's going to be a rough few months but hopefully systematic changes happen, so it does't happen again

Good luck, you take care of yourselves.  I believe it is going to be rough but we'll survive ( I have a 92% chance) hope you do well. 

I am almost sure that the cruiselines will filing for bankruptcy eventually. Then they will price cruises extremely high price. Anyone with FCC will probably loose this along with people with deposits etc. I would not book any cruise for the future now. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, megansdad1 said:

I am booked at the last week of April, and I am 100% convinced that it is being cancelled.  The only reason I haven't cancelled it on my own yet is that I am waiting to see if I get offered a cash refund for increased FCC

11 hours ago, Waquoit said:

This was to be our first cruise. NCL has not impressed me at all during this ordeal.  I have a late-April cruise and I'm hoping for a cancellation and full refund. And if we decide to book a subsequent cruise, it won't be with these guys.

Same as ya'll, booked cruise by the end of April, hoping the do the cancel so I can get refunded or better FCC.

Im sure NCL is aware most people are on this mode and will wait to the last minute to do cancels so we do the 100%FCC thing.

We're due to sail to Bermuda on 4/24 out of Boston.  No way this cruise is happening but NCL has yet to cancel anything past 4/11.  I read today that Bermuda has closed its borders for 2 weeks.  We won't even have peaked by then...

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 8:02 PM, seaman11 said:

I think they will. But you never know.  I cant see them losing this much money without federal assistance.  

well i hope they don't get bailed out and if they do let's hope they start paying their fair of taxes. Also, CEOs should stop taking major financial packages there is no reason a CEO should be paid millions of dollars a year...

• Like 2